Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : Virgin TV Horizon 4 V6 (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709242)

fox35 24-07-2020 19:50

Virgin TV Horizon 4 V6

Found this info regarding the launch of the V6 Horizon 4 in Ireland, although they are calling it Virgin TV 360. Can anyone confirm if this is what's planned later this year for the UK?..
https://www.virginmedia.ie/virgintv360support/

---------- Post added at 19:50 ---------- Previous post was at 19:48 ----------

Also this..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjJwiaG4Ij0

cheekyangus 24-07-2020 19:56

Re: Virgin TV Horizon 4 V6

Well the video was interesting. I can't see the UK version being much different. Bit too much flash for the sake of it for me, but it looked better than previous vids of Horizon I've seen.

Tricky Trevor 25-07-2020 06:23

Interesting to see Vimeo and Wikipedia in the apps section

nodrogd 25-07-2020 12:24

Interesting to see the new multiroom setup, although I can see this causing issues in big households.

I assume if you set up seperate profiles you can choose to only see the recordings you have set or recorded. Lumping them all in together would cause problems. This is one thing I disliked about SkyQ. Also only having a single 1TB storage space is going to be a bit stingy. Up it to 2TB & they may be on a winner.

The remote boxes do not buffer channels & will only pause live TV for a few minutes. The reliance on the connection to the hub is a sticking point already for some. For others the requirement to still have all boxes connected to coax will put some off.

Raider999 25-07-2020 13:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodrogd (Post 36044644)
Interesting to see the new multiroom setup, although I can see this causing issues in big households.

I assume if you set up seperate profiles you can choose to only see the recordings you have set or recorded. Lumping them all in together would cause problems. This is one thing I disliked about SkyQ. Also only having a single 1TB storage space is going to be a bit stingy. Up it to 2TB & they may be on a winner.

The remote boxes do not buffer channels & will only pause live TV for a few minutes. The reliance on the connection to the hub is a sticking point already for some. For others the requirement to still have all boxes connected to coax will put some off.

Only 1 box to record presumably means only able to record 6 channels at one time. 1Tb would be inadequate.

This seems to be a backward step to me - are they just trying to replicate skyQ

muppetman11 26-07-2020 11:34

Only 6 channels at one time............. good grief how much do you actually record !!!!

Raider999 26-07-2020 11:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36044717)
Only 6 channels at one time............. good grief how much do you actually record !!!!

Regularly 12 to 20 programmes on a Saturday - I am usually out so catch-up when I can.

Today is a good example - cricket on all day and 10 EPL games all ko at 4pm, followed by the first championship play-off semi.
Already recorded 2 NRL rugby matches and a NZ Super Rugby union match this morning.

This equates to 15 programmes.

muppetman11 26-07-2020 11:59

You actually find enough hours in the day to watch all that ?

jfman 26-07-2020 12:06

The 10 EPL games aren’t routinely televised.

Raider999 26-07-2020 12:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36044721)
You actually find enough hours in the day to watch all that ?

Not much else to do when furloughed

---------- Post added at 12:18 ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36044722)
The 10 EPL games aren’t routinely televised.

Agreed, but they have been since the resumption - often 2 rounds a week, additionally all 8 NRL games have been televised per week. Championship football and Southern Hemisphere Rugby Union. Not to mention a test match each week.

It will be interesting to see if all EPL games will be televised in the rounds before crowds are allowed?

jfman 26-07-2020 13:20

I hope so (I’d get rid of the blackout altogether - it’s a restriction on trade and competition) however the pressure to get games televised this time came from Government to discourage gatherings, and get some entertainment/industry going in lockdown.

Whether there would be an appetite from broadcasters long term? Commercially does BT getting extra games weaken Sky’s offering?

Raider999 26-07-2020 13:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36044732)
I hope so (I’d get rid of the blackout altogether - it’s a restriction on trade and competition) however the pressure to get games televised this time came from Government to discourage gatherings, and get some entertainment/industry going in lockdown.

Whether there would be an appetite from broadcasters long term? Commercially does BT getting extra games weaken Sky’s offering?

I don't think it would be a long term thing, just until reasonable crowds can attend.

I don't think BT's extra games weaken Sky's offering as they got a lot more extra games too.

OLD BOY 27-07-2020 09:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodrogd (Post 36044644)

I like it - the existing UI is very dated. The vertical red line on the EPG and the highligted programme within it to show which programme is actually playing is a nice touch.

The comment you make about the storage space being stingy - I agree, but it is no worse than it is now, and in addition, you can bookmark your shows, which does not require extra disk space. I have 2TB of storage because I have two boxes, and I would imagine you can still have these with the 360 instead of, or as well as, the mini-boxes.

cheekyangus 27-07-2020 09:48

I wonder if the red line (colour may vary) is patented. I've seen it on other TV boxes, but not many. An old Freesat box we have has it.

oxfordmark 27-07-2020 15:22

SO is this a new box?