Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   General IT Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Amazon Firestick Question (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710372)

alanbjames 15-09-2021 19:44

Amazon Firestick Question

I have a question for you guys which the problem is annoying the hell out of me.

I have a 4k firestick and a Toshiba 4K Capable TV.

When I switch my TV on which has been off say overnight and go to use my firestick I get snow like the old fashioned TVs that need tuning in, the only way to get rid of this is to disconnect my firestick and reconnect. Once this is done the stick works a charm until the next time.

I've tried connecting to a different HDMI port but still the issue persists, anyone know what I can do to try and fix the issue?

Thanks.

Chris 15-09-2021 20:30

Re: Amazon Firestick Question

It sounds like your TV is defaulting to its analogue tuner if it doesn’t detect any input on the HDMI socket where your Firestick is.

You might be able to alter that behaviour in your TV’s settings, but you should be able to wake up the Firestick by clicking a button or two on its remote. It sounds like your TV will automatically switch to the HDMI input when it does detect something, which is why it works when you unplug/reattach the Firestick.

Mr K 15-09-2021 20:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36093156)
It sounds like your TV is defaulting to its analogue tuner if it doesn’t detect any input on the HDMI socket where your Firestick is.

Out of interest, why would a 4k tv have an analogue TV input these days, what coud it possibly hope to pick up? Ceefax? ;)

Chris 15-09-2021 20:51

I have no idea …. I did wonder why that would be, but I can’t think what else might cause that de-tuned snow effect.

daveeb 15-09-2021 21:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36093158)
Out of interest, why would a 4k tv have an analogue TV input these days, what coud it possibly hope to pick up? Ceefax? ;)

A lot of 4K TV's still come with an analogue tuner. Not really sure why. Comes in useful if (like me) you still have an old Tivo box with a scart output and pump an RF signal around the house to watch the cable channel on any TV. I can't think of any other useful purpose.

Mr K 15-09-2021 21:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveeb (Post 36093162)
A lot of 4K TV's still come with an analogue tuner. Not really sure why. Comes in useful if (like me) you still have an old Tivo box with a scart output and pump an RF signal around the house to watch the cable channel on any TV. I can't think of any other useful purpose.

Yeah I have an old Tivo, the extra scart output is so useful for extra feeds :) But even I don't convert to rf/analogue.
The single output on modern VM boxes is so mean, it's almost as if they want you to rent several boxes ....

alanbjames 15-09-2021 21:19

I don't think its defaulting to an Analogue tuner, it seems to be detecting the device but its as if the device is scrambled until I unplug and replug back in.

Chris 15-09-2021 22:39

Can you factory-reset the fire stick and see if that helps?

SnoopZ 15-09-2021 22:52

Almost certainly the TV is the issue, I vagually remember something similar with snow once in a while, not sure if it was related to my firestick though.

General Maximus 16-09-2021 08:31

All my tvs default to the previously used channel when I turn them on whether the device is on or not For example, if I only turn the tv on and my media player is off it will show hdmi 2 with a blank black screen however if I turn any of the devices on first (e.g. Sky) without touching the tv it will turn the Sky box on, the tv on and the tv will switch to hdmi 1. Presumably if you turn your fire stick on (if it doesn't stay on permanently) it will turn the tv on as well and switch to the relevant hdmi port. If it doesn't I am sure there is an option in the settings somewhere for an auto-detect setting.

tweetiepooh 16-09-2021 09:34

If rebooting the FireStick clears could you look to power it from USB port on TV, especially one that powers off with TV on standby. Then when you turn TV on it apply power to FireStick and it starts up. It does delay start up a bit but not greatly.

Paul 16-09-2021 15:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36093158)

A TV still needs a tuner, to tune into the DTV signal. ;)

I expect they just use standard circuits to do this, so you still have access to the old analog signals.

It probably still has uses for in house systems, and local distributions systems.

cupcakes aka dd 29-09-2021 13:57

Was looking at buying a 4K TV then stumbled upon the fact that my Onkyo 5.1 system doesn’t support 4K! So to upgrade both would cost megabucks. Gutted

Jaymoss 29-09-2021 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by cupcakes aka dd (Post 36095140)
Was looking at buying a 4K TV then stumbled upon the fact that my Onkyo 5.1 system doesn’t support 4K! So to upgrade both would cost megabucks. Gutted

It still outputs 1080 and the extra ram makes it worth having over the lesser models

Hugh 29-09-2021 14:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by cupcakes aka dd (Post 36095140)

I had the same issue with 2011 Soundbar system - used an optical cable resolved it.