Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : Virgin TV 360 users (Horizon) (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709333)

Inactive Digital 04-09-2020 09:43

Re: Virgin TV 360 users (Horizon)

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36048569)
Previously VM gave the impression V6 boxes would be updated to Horizon, now it seems less likely. I'm wondering now if they found unforeseen difficulties updating them without losing recordings and settings.

Is the main 360 box the same hardware as the V6?

Perhaps the intention wasn't ever to upgrade the boxes in customers' homes, but to update them from Tivo to Horizon once they are returned to VM from leaving customers, before they are reissued to new customers.

To be fair, firmware updates inevitably go wrong and brick the boxes. And of course, the implications of updates have an impact across multiple areas of the business, so a few considerations I'd be asking is I was VM...

Can the firmware be updated from one platform to another on boxes out in the field?
Would there be a higher number of errors/bricked boxes if it was to happen?
Do VM have the call centre capacity to deal with an influx of customer calls to resolve issues/queries etc
Would there be an additional demand on tech visits to customer homes?
Is that an appropriate risk in this Covid era?
Could this lead to increased customer attrition?
Are the costs/risks of all the above something VM would want to consider at the moment?

cheekyangus 04-09-2020 10:13

Those are many of the issues I was thinking of, Inactive Digital.

Raider999 04-09-2020 11:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36048611)
The V6 does a very good job IMYO but it would have been nice if Virgin considered that some users record far more then others and thus put that thinking in their future STB's.

2 1/2 years ago I was told by Virgin that they were bringing out a 2Tb box - still waiting.

---------- Post added at 11:21 ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36048569)
Previously VM gave the impression V6 boxes would be updated to Horizon, now it seems less likely. I'm wondering now if they found unforeseen difficulties updating them without losing recordings and settings.

But you also lose the recordings if you switch to a 360 system

---------- Post added at 11:23 ---------- Previous post was at 11:21 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36048605)
Is it really such a big deal? I mean doesn't the V6 that many people have at the moment do a good job? seems like many people getting their kickers in a twist over nothing much.

Quite agree, not changing just for flashy graphics and voice control

cheekyangus 04-09-2020 11:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36048630)

But you also lose the recordings if you switch to a 360 system

Yes exactly. But my point is the customer knows they will lose their recordings if they change box. They expect to keep them with a software update.

The trial being new boxes rather than a software update suggests VM may have changed their plan, and the obvious reason is that they've had trouble implementing updates without losing recordings and settings.

Not the first time they've hinted at updating a box software then not doing it, they suggested way back that VHD boxes could possibly be updated to Tivo (minus recording facilities naturally) and they stayed on Liberate until they were discontinued.

OLD BOY 04-09-2020 20:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36048605)
Is it really such a big deal? I mean doesn't the V6 that many people have at the moment do a good job? seems like many people getting their kickers in a twist over nothing much.

We won't miss an awful lot on the functionality by not signing up for Horizon, but we will be stuckmwith the increasingly dated UI. That's all, really.

---------- Post added at 20:07 ---------- Previous post was at 20:04 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36048634)
Yes exactly. But my point is the customer knows they will lose their recordings if they change box. They expect to keep them with a software update.

The trial being new boxes rather than a software update suggests VM may have changed their plan, and the obvious reason is that they've had trouble implementing updates without losing recordings and settings.

Not the first time they've hinted at updating a box software then not doing it, they suggested way back that VHD boxes could possibly be updated to Tivo (minus recording facilities naturally) and they stayed on Liberate until they were discontinued.

I guess that may explain why we get so little information on future developments coming our way!

fox35 05-09-2020 06:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozsat (Post 36048326)
The only thread active at present is more of a speculation thread so I thought it better for one to discuss the actual system itself now that it is rolling out.

How many have got the system now and how are you finding it?

First big thing is this is (currently) not a replacement for the TiVo system although I'm sure with software updates many new features will appear in the coming months.

The guide data on the new system is updated much quicker and seems to be more regular too.

Anyone users have any comments they wish to share? Or anyone have any questions for users?

Can you (or anyone else on this trial) post a video review of the system in action please? or some screen shots at least? Thanks.

ozsat 05-09-2020 07:31

4 Attachment(s)
A few shots

cheekyangus 05-09-2020 08:24

Is the central column on the 4th screenshot how you navigate Catch-up all the time, or is that an alternative "quick" menu? Because that's a lot of vertical scrolling, potentially, by the look of it.

ozsat 05-09-2020 08:27

I press the voice button and say "Catch Up"

You can name most programmes to for a search.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36048694)
Is the central column on the 4th screenshot how you navigate Catch-up all the time, or is that an alternative "quick" menu? Because that's a lot of vertical scrolling, potentially, by the look of it.

cheekyangus 05-09-2020 08:48

Ta. Not interested in voice control, so that won't be used.

Does the top part of the EPG screen get used for anything? It seems a waste of space in screenshot 1.

Raider999 05-09-2020 09:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozsat (Post 36048693)
A few shots

Observations

Screenshot 1. There are less channels on the EPG screen - backward step IMO

Screenshot 2. Ok, but do I need it??

Screenshot 3. You appear to be watching a rugby match - but why are the other thumbnails across the bottom of the screen? Wouldn't want that

Screenshot 4. Rarely use catchup so no comment

ozsat 05-09-2020 09:55

They come up if you press the HOME button while on live tv

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36048711)
Screenshot 3. You appear to be watching a rugby match - but why are the other thumbnails across the bottom of the screen? Wouldn't want that

---------- Post added at 09:55 ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 ----------

One less - but you can now select a date and channel from drop downs. Also pressing GUIDE defaults to the current channel and not 100

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36048711)
Screenshot 1. There are less channels on the EPG screen - backward step IMO

SonicMaster 05-09-2020 10:28

Hi ozsat - please could you screenshot the apps menu? Thanks!

cheekyangus 05-09-2020 10:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicMaster (Post 36048723)
Hi ozsat - please could you screenshot the apps menu? Thanks!

I'd like to see this too. Mainly to see if the Wikipedia app I saw on a video of the VM Ireland Horizon is there. :D

ozsat 05-09-2020 10:40

2 Attachment(s)
Apps are currently these but I'm told more coming soon. Early TiVo users will remember there was little available at launch.