Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   [Updated] New petrol & diesel car sales banned from 2030 (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705179)

Osem 26-07-2017 12:15

[Updated] New petrol & diesel car sales banned from 2030

Quote:

New diesel and petrol cars and vans will be banned in the UK from 2040 in a bid to tackle air pollution, the government is set to announce.
Ministers will also unveil a £255m fund to help councils tackle emissions from diesel vehicles, as part of a £3bn package of spending on air quality.
The government will later publish its clean air strategy, favouring electric cars, before a High Court deadline.
Campaigners said the measures were promising, but more detail was needed.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40723581

This raises lots of questions but for all those applauding away in the knowledge than electricity is cheaper than petrol and diesel, where do we think the massive revenue lost from duty and VAT on fuel is going to come from?

How are all those people who live in streets where they can't park close to let alone outside their homes going to be able to charge their vehicles I wonder. How long's it going to take to develop the infrastructure required to support such a huge change?

Has anyone thought this through? :shrug:

DJSADERS 26-07-2017 12:19

Re: Petrol & diesel vehicles ban.

Heres to hopeing electric cars can do 600miles per charge like my diesel lol

BenMcr 26-07-2017 12:22

I do think some of that is very valid - where I live there is no way I could currently have an electric only car as it's parked too far away from my property.

However to be optimistic on it, we've got another 23 years. It's possible by that point that battery technology will have improved to a point where you can still go 'fill up', rather than every car needing to be plugged in when not in use. Or we may have efficient wireless charging that allows for more flexible charging options.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/1303...r-over-the-air

papa smurf 26-07-2017 12:33

given the national grid teeters on the brink of not been able to cope with present demand what will happen when millions of cars are plugged in charging , remember petrol and diesel have huge amounts of energy stored in them and do not feed off the grid

How much energy in… Cars
kWh
1 litre Petrol 9.7
1 litre Diesel 10.7
1 litre Biodiesel 9.9
1 litre Kerosene 10.5

arcimedes 26-07-2017 12:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35909227)
given the national grid teeters on the brink of not been able to cope with present demand what will happen when millions of cars are plugged in charging , remember petrol and diesel have huge amounts of energy stored in them and do not feed off the grid

No problem at all we will have at least one new nuclear power working by then (perhaps) and anyway the other power stations will still? be running, and the entire country will be covered with wind turbines and solar panels.

One question I presume that power stations are more efficient than a car for generating power.

papa smurf 26-07-2017 12:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by arcimedes (Post 35909228)
No problem at all we will have at least one new nuclear power working by then (perhaps) and anyway the other power stations will still? be running, and the entire country will be covered with wind turbines and solar panels.

One question I presume that power stations are more efficient than a car for generating power.

http://euanmearns.com/how-much-more-...tric-vehicles/

The UK: A 36% increase in generation and a 49% increase in installed capacity, costing $140 billion.

AbyssUnderground 26-07-2017 13:06

Won't be a problem when loads of houses have solar, more wind on the grid, and local grid battery storage. This issue has been thought of and solutions exist, they're just not in place yet but are growing in popularity.

Damien 26-07-2017 13:09

It seems likely to me that by 2040 cars will have gone electric and major centers will have self-driving cars.

Kursk 26-07-2017 13:18

Yay! Can't come soon enough. In fact, we should ban all diesel and petrol engines in 5 years. Go electric! Go trams! Go Magdev! Go new BMW made in Britain mini! Go bikes!

We are winning :D!

papa smurf 26-07-2017 13:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kursk (Post 35909240)
Yay! Can't come soon enough. In fact, we should ban all diesel and petrol engines in 5 years. Go electric! Go trams! Go Magdev! Go new BMW made in Britain mini! Go bikes!

We are winning :D!

go jump off a cliff ;)

Taf 26-07-2017 13:25

"New" cars, not "old" cars, so when will they start the purge on existing petrol and diesel vehicles, i.e. taxing them more and more?

And diesel trains, just as they announce no electrification of certain routes?

And home gas boilers and gas cookers?

And gas powered power stations?

And vegan cyclists farting along the roads?

Kursk 26-07-2017 13:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35909242)
go jump off a cliff ;)

I hate bad losers :rofl:

papa smurf 26-07-2017 13:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35909243)
"New" cars, not "old" cars, so when will they start the purge on existing petrol and diesel vehicles, i.e. taxing them more and more?

And diesel trains, just as they announce no electrification of certain routes?

And home gas boilers and gas cookers?

And gas powered power stations?

And vegan cyclists farting along the roads?

we could bring back the death penalty for cycling

Kursk 26-07-2017 13:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 35909245)
[/B]

we could bring back the death penalty for cycling

We could remove the death penalty of pollution. Oh wait, we are! YAY!

Damien 26-07-2017 13:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35909243)

Again I think this will be a problem that largely takes care of itself. I would be surprised if, by 2030, there are still anything other than a small number of new cars being sold with petrol engines. I think that by 2040 not only will we have seen the end of petrol based engines in consumer cars but that the transition to electric cars on the roads will have largely taken place. You can then use the tax system to weed out the minority of bangers still chugging along - that's if a lack of petrol stations hasn't forced the issue for them already.