Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Hillsborough - 20th anniversary (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33647781)

Russ 26-03-2009 10:00

Hillsborough - 20th anniversary

I think anyone who was around at the time can remember what they were doing when it happened. As a United fan I love to watch the team crash and burn but this was something different, a truly awful and disturbing tragedy and we're nearly at the 20th anniversary.

They're also bringing out a single as a commeration - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7964159.stm

Chris 26-03-2009 10:08

Re: Hillsborough - 20th anniversary

As a Utd fan I'd have thought the phrase crash and burn would have been off-limits to you in all circumstances. :erm: Tragedy has struck a number of football teams over the years, Man Utd, Bradford, Liverpool, Rangers ... but thankfully they are built around a core community of supporters who will look after each other, and a wider community of football-loving people who are willing to set team rivalries aside.

Russ 26-03-2009 10:11

United have had a major tragedy and the vast majority of supporters of other teams are respectful of that, it's only fair we demonstrate the same back. On the pitch it's different - on the terraces everyone is a fan.

superbiatch 26-03-2009 10:22

Yes I agree, this is nothing to do with football. I'll never forget that day, or the days that followed as I lost someone close to me (the youngest victim - he was just 10 at the time).

Although, i'm not so sure the choice of song will get it to No. 1 :D

Druchii 26-03-2009 10:58

Can't believe i was only 13 days old when this happened. I've heard so much about it, and it still brings a tear to my eye each time someone reminds me.
I've been a Wednesday fan all my life, my thoughts go out to the families who lost their loved ones at our ill-prepared stadium.

LondonRoad 26-03-2009 11:00

Such a tragedy that could easily been prevented. It wasn't just the stadium that was ill prepared. :(

Pog66 26-03-2009 11:19

I was at the other semi at Villa Park - Norwich (my team) v Everton - there was a lot of misinformation going round that L'Pool fans had rioted - only when we got back to the car and turned on the radio did the reality and full tragedy of what occurred become apparent.

Paul 26-03-2009 11:28

20 years already, wow ....

joglynne 26-03-2009 12:00

We were driving through central Manchester with my parents and our young son when the news started to come through on the car radio. We pulled into the side of the road and just listened in horror as the events unfolded. Thinking of that day now still brings tears to my eyes.

Siuko 26-03-2009 12:03

I remember it very well. I was at home at my parents house that day and they live very close to the nearest hospital to hillsborough (I think its the nearest anyway).

It was shocking to see how many ambulances kept coming... don't think I'll ever forget thinking something really bad must have happened (I wasn't watching TV at the time).

Damien 26-03-2009 14:20

Very sad, Can you imagine being stuck there, slowing running out of air, surrounded by other people who can't help as your being crushed? Or watching it unable to help? Horrible :(

I saw this though, Made me smile:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillsbo...of_other_clubs

Quote:

The Hillsborough disaster touched not only clubs in England but clubs around the world as well.For example, on 19 April 1989 (the Wednesday after the disaster), a European Cup semi final between AC Milan and Real Madrid was played. The referee blew his whistle 6 minutes into the game to stop play and hold a minute's silence for those who lost their lives tragically at Hillsborough. Half way through the minute's silence, the A.C. Milan fans sang Liverpool's "You'll Never Walk Alone" as a sign of respect

Maggy 26-03-2009 17:34

Watching it unfold in the news programmes afterwards was truly terrible..:(

Peter_ 26-03-2009 18:23

I was sitting in my grandfathers when live coverage came on the television as he had Grandstand on or similar and watched with abject horror as the events unfolded, seeing people being carried by fellow fans on bits of advertising hoarding used as makeshift stretchers and you could tell that people had died and that people were still dying.

It still makes my blood boil that the authorities involved got away with the manslaughter of those in the main preventable deaths to this day, especially the blanket ruling that everyone had died by 11 minutes past 3 the was very likely still people alive after that time who were allowed to die.

frogstamper 26-03-2009 21:16

A truly awful event, I remember watching the live build up on the TV and at first the commentators thought it was a section of the Liverpool fans causing trouble, it didn't take long for them to realise it was much more sinister by the looks of sheer terror on the fans faces.
Afterwards the outpouring of grief was tangible that is except for one paper, even to this day sales of the Sun are on the floor in Liverpool.
RIP the 96.

superbiatch 26-03-2009 21:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by frogstamper (Post 34763099)
Afterwards the outpouring of grief was tangible that is except for one paper, even to this day sales of the Sun are on the floor in Liverpool.
RIP the 96.

I don't know one person that buys the **** newspaper and some shops don't even stock it. The lies they told will never be forgotten, no matter how many times they apologise.

But it doesn't do good to dwell on stuff like that, the anniversary is purely about the loss of 96 loved ones and the psychological damage caused to those who witnessed it.

Time for a change of avatar also.