Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   BT scam call (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707193)

Maggy 21-12-2018 10:19

BT scam call

It sounds like a recorded message saying that my BT connection is about to be cut off. At that point I replaced the receiver because I'm not with BT. However anyone with BT might be fooled.:rolleyes:

Ken W 21-12-2018 11:08

Re: BT scam call

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35976347)
It sounds like a recorded message saying that my BT connection is about to be cut off. At that point I replaced the receiver because I'm not with BT. However anyone with BT might be fooled.:rolleyes:

That is the same recorded message I get and like you am not with BT

arcimedes 21-12-2018 11:15

Look on the BT web site and you will find lots of comments about it. I do like winding them up when I have some spare time.

joglynne 21-12-2018 13:30

My elderly friend is currently being plagued by this scam call and has been receiving 3 and sometimes 4 calls a day. Thankfully she is quite savvy but the annoyance of getting the calls is getting to her even though she now recognises the voice and ends the call immediately.

I was there this morning and during my hour long visit she got 3 calls!!!!!

SnoopZ 21-12-2018 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by joglynne (Post 35976373)
My elderly friend is currently being plagued by this scam call and has been receiving 3 and sometimes 4 calls a day. Thankfully she is quite savvy but the annoyance of getting the calls is getting to her even though she now recognises the voice and ends the call immediately.

I was there this morning and during my hour long visit she got 3 calls!!!!!

Has she not got caller display Id now that it's free?

Carth 21-12-2018 14:07

I think when I got one, the caller display said 'withheld'

I don't normally answer those, but was expecting a call from hospital . . that also comes up as withheld :rolleyes:

007stuart 21-12-2018 16:47

Get Truecall enabled phones and voila no more spam calls

joglynne 21-12-2018 17:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35976379)
Has she not got caller display Id now that it's free?

Unfortunately getting her to do anything other than use the phone at a most basic level, eg. she doesn't use a contact, phone numbers list. Insists on using her trusty Address (paper) Book and has stubbornly resisted all my efforts, and those of her family, to do anything other than humour us by letting me set up 1-5 quick dial numbers "just for emergencies only ..." She is convinced that allowing the phone to remember her contacts list is a Government ploy to keep an eye on her. I haven't broached the idea that the world is a sphere as I honestly don't want to open that can of worms. :D :D :D

Maggy 15-01-2019 12:18

So the BT scam didn't work this am so now it's OFCOM calling me on a recorded message to try and con me again..

SnoopZ 15-01-2019 12:28

Do you not have caller ID set up(no its free) so you can avoid picking up the phone if you don't recognise the number?

arcimedes 15-01-2019 12:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35979329)
So the BT scam didn't work this am so now it's OFCOM calling me on a recorded message to try and con me again..

I look forward to Ofcom calling. Do they also try to talk to you?

Maggy 15-01-2019 12:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by arcimedes (Post 35979331)
I look forward to Ofcom calling. Do they also try to talk to you?

I disconnected.;)

Chris 15-01-2019 13:21

I had a robot call the other day that sounded like one half of a conversation, with pauses for me to talk back to it. I’m not certain whether it was using AI to select its next response to me. I hung up after a few seconds anyway.

Then I got one from an energy company tout and managed to waste his time for around 7 and a half minutes. I was quite proud of myself :D

Carth 15-01-2019 14:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35979345)

Then I got one from an energy company tout and managed to waste his time for around 7 and a half minutes. I was quite proud of myself :D

That's a great game to play, sometimes I feel a little sorry for the poor bod on the other end . . but he rang me, so . . .:D

Hugh 15-01-2019 17:05

I like getting them from the "I hear you've been in an accident" companies...

Them "I hear you've been in an accident"

Me " which one?"

Them "how many have you been in?"

Me "Two - one where I lost my legs, and then there was the serious one"

Them (usually) "the serious one? what happened?"

Me "tells them long and tortuous tale, about driving in the dark and snow, spinning off the road, crashing through trees, and then" I say " a fence post came through the front window and decapitated me - killed me stone dead".

Them - silence, usually followed by them putting the phone down...