Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Film & Cinema (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Rate the last movie you saw (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=37399)

General Maximus 08-04-2019 20:28

Re: Rate the last movie you saw

Infinity War?

Dude111 14-04-2019 17:51

I last watched MRS DOUBTFIRE (1994) on VHS :) (Recorded from analogue cable (FOX 17))

9/10

Hugh 15-04-2019 17:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35985852)
good, I am hoping it does over $1bn and at least as well as Black Panther. It makes sense that everyone who went to see Infinity War would want to see Captain Marvel.

Broke a billion over a week ago...

https://www.cbr.com/captain-marvel-o...de-box-office/
Quote:

Just one month after its release, Marvel Studios' Captain Marvel has officially blasted past the coveted $1 billion mark, hauling in $358 million in North America alone and $645 million internationally.
As of April 14th

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies...arvel2018a.htm
Quote:

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $386,536,581 36.3%
+ Foreign: $678,000,000 63.7%
= Worldwide: $1,064,536,581

General Maximus 15-04-2019 17:37

Cracking and well deserved imho. I am looking forward to all the records Endgame is going to break now.

General Maximus 25-04-2019 03:42

Avengers: Endgame: 11/10

I know my score sounds ridiculous but those of you who have seen the film will understand. I could write reams about it but this is one of the few occasions where I think less is more; it truly is the perfect film and I am not saying it just because it is Marvel. Although it is a continuation from Infinity War it is very much a film in itself and has a different feel and tone to it. It has a beginning, middle and end and achieves what no other film I have ever seen manages to achieve. Marvel films have always been about the story and characters and what they do in this film just blows you away. I am tempted to try and explain why and express some emotions in spoiler tags but I honestly don't want to remotely hint as to what happens and want you all to experience it for yourself. It has been so cleverly done with oodles of TLC.

Absolutely amazing film and it is a travesty if you don't go and see it at the cinema.

P.s: The one thing I will say is that there are no post-credit scenes at the end of this film so you don't need to worry about sitting around for 10 mins looking at the names of the thousands of guys who did the visual effects :)

Hugh 25-04-2019 09:27

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...7&d=1556180799

Damien 25-04-2019 10:14

:mad:

I'm not in the country so can't see until Sunday :(

General Maximus 25-04-2019 14:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35992169)

don't worry dude, it is worth the wait. The best thing you can do make sure you have already got your return visit booked because you are going to want to see it again.

Mr_love_monkey 25-04-2019 15:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35992169)

Booked in to see it Sunday morning which is the first time I can...

Staying off social media until then - too many people out there that take delight in spoiling stuff.

peanut 29-04-2019 12:38

Endgame - 8.5/10 (no spoilers).

Too many plot holes and parts that were just a bit too stupid. Saw it on Imax 3D which was excellent but even though the CGI was excellent the CGI often made the characters look weird and miniaturized which spoiled it a bit. Well worth watching but Infinity wars was better.

General Maximus 15-05-2019 16:40

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum: 8/10

These films just get better and better. Fantastic action scenes, new creative ways on how to kill and the world expands with many new characters and new locations. Really really enjoyable and they are obviously planning for a fourth.

If you enjoyed 1 and 2 this is a must see.

Dude111 22-05-2019 04:41

I last saw FIRST BLOOD 2 (1985) on VHS :)

Its OK..... i like the first one much better!!

General Maximus 22-05-2019 16:27

Aladdin (2019): 7/10

A lot better than I was expecting it to be in every regard. Story wise it is pretty much a complete copy of the screenplay of the animated version with a few minor additions, so you know what is coming every step of the way. The music and songs were excellent and they cast Aladdin and Jasmine perfectly, they literally couldn't have been any better. The only disappointment with the film was Will Smith; his singing was better than I was expecting however it still sounded flat in places and lacked the bravado of Robin Williams. It isn't about trying to copy Robin Williams, I think they just could have done better than Will Smith. He is Aladdin's genie to Beauty and the Beast's Belle. If it wasn't for him I would have given it 8/10.

This is a must see for any fan.

General Maximus 05-06-2019 16:49

X-men: Dark Phoenix: 6/10

This is a hard one because despite many peoples feelings over previous x-men films including the original trilogy, I have loved all of them up and till now and thoroughly enjoyed them. This one felt like something was missing. I got the impression that they felt like it was the fourth film in the franchise so they didn't need to spend any time on the characters and just focus on the action and special effects. It left the film feeling very hollow.

Stephen 06-06-2019 09:05

X-Men Last Stand and Apocalypse were the ones I disliked the most.

However from seeing trailers this one's feels like s bad TV movie. Don't know what it is but just doesn't sit right.

Damien 06-06-2019 09:06

The reviews are absolutely slating it as well.

General Maximus 06-06-2019 23:26

It's a shame because as I have said many a time before with other bad films, I don't understand how with all the people involved somebody at the script read through stage doesn't say "this isn't good enough and we need to build the story more and do build on the characters". I know some directors like to story board everything first as well and that is another opportunity for it to come out. It just think it is a damn shame that an entire xmen film has been wasted. I need a job as a film purifier or something (and sometimes tv) so I can catch this stuff early on and get them to fix it.

General Maximus 24-06-2019 17:38

Toy Story 4: 8/10

Fantastic animation as you would expect from Pixar and a lovely story. The one niggle I have with it is that it wasn't anywhere as humorous as the previous instalments in the franchise and I put it down to the fact that they have had to introduce some new characters and move away from the core group in order to do something new and different.

Brightburn: 4/10

Don't watch this unless you like your horror films. This is pure horror and only very loosely scifi/superman related. It suffers from a double whammy of weak story because it isn't an official DC film so they can't even start to give some depth to the Superman story arc and secondly as it is a pure horror it is all about the fear factor and nothing else. I spent the entire film waiting for the inevitable demise of the 6 or 7 people you are introduced to and wondering what colourful way they will be despatched. I shall finish as I started and say this isn't worth watching at all unless you are into your horror films.

Damien 24-06-2019 20:01

Toy Story 4 - 9/10.

I thought it was great. I also thought it was pretty funny but it's been a while since I saw previous instalments so I don't know if it's as funny. The 'Plush Rush' stuff was amazing though.

Rocketman 8/10

I thought this was unexpectedly quite good. More cohesive than Bohemian Rhapsody and also with a better use of the music. I thought Taron Egerton was better as Elton John that Rami Malek was as Freddie Mercury, with the latter it always seemed like someone doing a good impression of Mercury but with Egerton I sort of forgot it's a performance.

Paul 25-06-2019 15:17

Toy Story 4

I pretty much agree with this, except I give it 7/10. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36000276)
Fantastic animation as you would expect from Pixar and a lovely story. The one niggle I have with it is that it wasn't anywhere as humorous as the previous instalments in the franchise and I put it down to the fact that they have had to introduce some new characters and move away from the core group in order to do something new and different.

Im off to see Dark Pheonix later today, so we'll see how that goes. :erm:

General Maximus 25-06-2019 15:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 36000368)
Im off to see Dark Pheonix later today, so we'll see how that goes. :erm:

Dont hold your breath

Stuart 26-06-2019 10:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36000293)
Toy Story 4 - 9/10.

I thought it was great. I also thought it was pretty funny but it's been a while since I saw previous instalments so I don't know if it's as funny. The 'Plush Rush' stuff was amazing though.

Rocketman 8/10

I thought this was unexpectedly quite good. More cohesive than Bohemian Rhapsody and also with a better use of the music. I thought Taron Egerton was better as Elton John that Rami Malek was as Freddie Mercury, with the latter it always seemed like someone doing a good impression of Mercury but with Egerton I sort of forgot it's a performance.

I loved Toy Story. I like or love all of the Pixar films. I like the way they take some quite adult concepts (for me, the Toy Story films have always been about friendship, and how it changes as people's lives change) and explain them in a way that is easy to understand for kids, and relatable for adults, and they manage to do so in an entertaining (if sometimes sentimental) way.

I also agree about Rocketman. I went to see it out of curiosity. Not really expecting to like it much (not a massive fan of Musicals in film, they tend to feel like the music is forced into the story). It was a film I probably wouldn't have bothered with had I not had an Unlimited card and had to pay for the ticket.

I enjoyed it. Yes, it was unashamedly a musical, but even the way that was done work. Yes it had the big dance numbers, but they worked well. I like the way it didn't seem to pull any punches regarding either Elton's sexuality or substance abuse.

I love Bohemian Rhapsody, but I felt that was more a celebration of the music, and that the life story of Freddie was glossed over a little bit. Particularly the substance abuse (which was barely mentioned). Remember, Kenny Everett described Freddie Mercury as a man who burned the candle at both ends, and in the middle. You don't get to party to the extent without taking a ton of (probably illegal) drugs.

---------- Post added at 10:09 ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35994977)
John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum: 8/10

These films just get better and better. Fantastic action scenes, new creative ways on how to kill and the world expands with many new characters and new locations. Really really enjoyable and they are obviously planning for a fourth.

If you enjoyed 1 and 2 this is a must see.

As with Rocketman, above, I went to see John Wick because I had an Unlimited card, and had a couple of hours spare, so I popped into the nearest cinema and watched it. I probably wouldn't have bothered had I had to pay for the ticket (I know I do via the fee for the Unlimited card, but I'd paid that anyway). I saw John Wick 2. I thoroughly enjoyed it, although there was a lot I didn't understand, not having seen the first one. I have since seen all three, and I think style wise they are very reminiscent of the original Robocop, and Total Recall. In fact, I think had Paul Verhoeven carried on making that style of film until today, what he produced today would likely be very much like the John Wick series of films. Maybe more satirical, but similar.

General Maximus 26-06-2019 11:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 36000479)
As with Rocketman, above, I went to see John Wick because I had an Unlimited card, and had a couple of hours spare, so I popped into the nearest cinema and watched it. I probably wouldn't have bothered had I had to pay for the ticket (I know I do via the fee for the Unlimited card, but I'd paid that anyway). I saw John Wick 2. I thoroughly enjoyed it, although there was a lot I didn't understand, not having seen the first one. I have since seen all three, and I think style wise they are very reminiscent of the original Robocop, and Total Recall. In fact, I think had Paul Verhoeven carried on making that style of film until today, what he produced today would likely be very much like the John Wick series of films. Maybe more satirical, but similar.

The thing which I love about the John Wick films is that each one is unique and different in terms of the story and action to justify the films existence (rather than just a rehash of the same thing) but they are also part of a greater story. Unlike the Fast franchise where each film is pretty much standalone but with the same cast, the John Wick franchise is more like Star Wars where each film is different but is part of one big story and each film continues the story. I think they deserve to be more successful than they have been and I am just glad they continue to make more. Given the surprisingly low production budgets one could given the profit margins that they are actually more lucrative than many films with higher budgets. The amount of money they have made from John Wick 3 would pay for another 6 films.

John Wick 1: Production budget $20m, lifetime gross $88m
John Wick 2: Production budget $40m, lifetime gross $172m
John Wick 3: Production budget $40m, lifetime gross $290m

The good news is that whilst looking for that info I have just discovered they have already green lit John Wick 4 and it is penned for a May 2021 release date. :dunce:

Damien 26-06-2019 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 36000479)
I also agree about Rocketman. I went to see it out of curiosity. Not really expecting to like it much (not a massive fan of Musicals in film, they tend to feel like the music is forced into the story). It was a film I probably wouldn't have bothered with had I not had an Unlimited card and had to pay for the ticket.

Yeah. With musicals it depends on the type. A jukebox musical is designed to fit music into a narrative structure and in these cases the story will typically pause for the song. Something like Les Miserables will advance the story though music instead, i.e the music serves the story.

Quote:

I love Bohemian Rhapsody, but I felt that was more a celebration of the music, and that the life story of Freddie was glossed over a little bit. Particularly the substance abuse (which was barely mentioned). Remember, Kenny Everett described Freddie Mercury as a man who burned the candle at both ends, and in the middle. You don't get to party to the extent without taking a ton of (probably illegal) drugs..
Yeah I thought Rhapsody was essentially an excuse to play Queen songs. Rocketman did better at telling the overall story and in that sense the music served it better, such as the way the song Rocket Man itself was used to quick skim through part of the story.

If you took the songs out then Rocketman would make a better film.

Paul 27-06-2019 15:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 35998072)
X-men: Dark Phoenix: 6/10

This is a hard one because despite many peoples feelings over previous x-men films including the original trilogy, I have loved all of them up and till now and thoroughly enjoyed them. This one felt like something was missing. I got the impression that they felt like it was the fourth film in the franchise so they didn't need to spend any time on the characters and just focus on the action and special effects. It left the film feeling very hollow.

I have to disagree, and give it 7/10.
I actually liked this one better than some of the previous efforts.
I did think it a shame they killed off Raven - although since this is supposedly the last in the Fox X-Man series, I guess it didnt matter that much.

General Maximus 27-06-2019 16:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 36000648)
I did think it a shame they killed off Raven

how dare they kill off Katniss :(

Damien 29-06-2019 18:22

Yesterday - 7/10. Fun film. Obviously the music is awesome. Sorta breaks down if you think about it too much but the solution to that is to avoid doing so :D

Angua 30-06-2019 07:59

Captain Marvel 3/5. Bits were good, but it all felt somewhat laboured.

Hugh 01-07-2019 18:07

Shaft (the latest one on Netflix) - 7/10.

Good fun, especially the culture clash between "old school" Shaft and his hipster son.

Paul 01-07-2019 20:35

Men in Black: International : 7/10

Considering this was the forth installment, and new charecters, I wasnt holing out a lot of hope for this.
However, I did in fact really enjoy it, and liked the two new main characters. I hope Chris & Tessa make some more in the series.

General Maximus 02-07-2019 02:55

Spiderman: Far From Home: 8/10

Well, I must say I was very curious about the sort of tone the first post-Endgame film was going to strike and from the trailers I got the impression that they were going to try and start with a clean slate with a generic bad guys and move on. All I am going to say is appearances can be deceiving :) There are two sides to this film and both are executed with near perfection. On the one side given the special relationship Peter had with Tony Stark they are very mindful of recent events and the film acknowledges that in many natural and beautiful ways without throwing it in your face. It feels very much a continuation of the MCU like Civil War rather than a standalone film. On the other side they are very keen to maintain the tone of the first film and make this very grounded and a teen coming of age story and despite the impression you get from the trailers, this is all about Peter growing up and the relationships he has with the people around him. I don't want to say anymore with fear for spoiling it for everyone but not only did I like it, I loved the plot twists and as I have said many a time before, I love Marvel because of how much they focus on the characters and this exemplifies it.

There are two post-credit scenes, one a few mins after the initial credits and one right at the end. I cannot emphasise enough how important it is that you watch both, especially the one at the end. The first one is Spidey-centric and influences the next Spider film, the second one is key to the larger MCU going forward.

Go and see it at the cinema, I promise you'll enjoy it.

Stephen 02-07-2019 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36001025)
Shaft (the latest one on Netflix) - 7/10.

Good fun, especially the culture clash between "old school" Shaft and his hipster son.

I watched it on the plane to Turkey and really enjoyed it too. Great way to include the previous actors who played Shaft. He's a bad mother...

ThunderPants73 05-07-2019 18:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 36001172)
I watched it on the plane to Turkey and really enjoyed it too. Great way to include the previous actors who played Shaft. He's a bad mother...

Shut yo mouth!

Hugh 05-07-2019 18:23

Spiderman: Far From Home: 8/10

Good fun, with some "dark" bits, but enjoyable and funny.

Damien 20-08-2019 20:13

Once Upon A Time in Hollywood. 8/10

Very different in some respects to what I was expected and very much what I was expecting in some other respects. The film is a lot slower than some of Tarantino's other films and you sort of have to just go with it to enjoy it. If you do then it's a fun film.

Great cast who do well in though.

Spoiler: 

Spoiler warning, film is spoiled in next spoiler tag for reals!

Spoiler: 

I knew he would subvert the true story and have Tate come out alive but I didn't see it happening like that (I thought she would kill them). Brining back the flamethrower? Brilliant.

General Maximus 20-08-2019 21:36

I think i'll go and see it on Saturday. Dont forget Angel has Fallen is out this week as well.

General Maximus 21-08-2019 15:41

Angel Has Fallen: 7/10

I love these films and this one is better than the second. Predictable from the outset with regards to the plot and who the bad guy is but a great film nonetheless and I highly recommend. I'll be going back to the cinema this weekend to see it again.

denphone 22-08-2019 08:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36006792)
Once Upon A Time in Hollywood. 8/10

Very different in some respects to what I was expected and very much what I was expecting in some other respects. The film is a lot slower than some of Tarantino's other films and you sort of have to just go with it to enjoy it. If you do then it's a fun film.

Great cast who do well in though.

Spoiler: 

Spoiler warning, film is spoiled in next spoiler tag for reals!

Spoiler: 

I knew he would subvert the true story and have Tate come out alive but I didn't see it happening like that (I thought she would kill them). Brining back the flamethrower? Brilliant.

l have been looking forward to this film for a while as cast looks very good.

General Maximus 18-09-2019 15:22

Ad Astra: 1/10

It was very painful to sit through; dull and boring. There are things in it that shouldn't happen and did and things that did happen that shouldn't. Plot holes galore and at points I felt like when they got to the end of the film they said "shit, we need an extra 10 minutes to make up the runtime, lets go back and put this stupid scene in".

Save yourself two hours and avoid it like the plague.

Damien 18-09-2019 22:24

Already booked my ticket for Saturday lol

General Maximus 18-09-2019 22:37

Try and get a refund or take a pillow with you because your time will be better spent sleeping.

denphone 19-09-2019 07:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36010521)

It was very painful to sit through; dull and boring. There are things in it that shouldn't happen and did and things that did happen that shouldn't. Plot holes galore and at points I felt like when they got to the end of the film they said "shit, we need an extra 10 minutes to make up the runtime, lets go back and put this stupid scene in".

That is a pretty savage review there General as it must be a real turkey.

General Maximus 19-09-2019 08:07

It is so bad in so many ways

nashville 19-09-2019 15:37

I was at the pictures yesterday and that was the first time in 30 odd years. Was delighted to say I really enjoyed Downton Abbey , fantastic picture and big screen and sound was perfect not forgetting the comfy recliner chairs. Might go back again if I see something else that looks good.

Damien 21-09-2019 20:54

Quote:

Gonna have to disagree again :D

Yeah I saw the plot holes but I wasn’t bored. I felt the mystery of the main story and the occasional incidents within the story kept me interested, I enjoyed it enough to keep me hooked and thought it was a beautifully shot film.

I dunno. Maybe 5/10? 6/10? I thought it compelling enough

Damien 26-09-2019 21:15

The Farewell - 9/10 : Great film! Funny and sad at the same time.

Paul 27-09-2019 00:49

Quote:

It was very painful to sit through; dull and boring.

I looked at the trailers again over the weekend and decided it just didnt look that good, so I have avoided it. :sleep:

nashville 27-09-2019 15:49

Downton Abbey two weeks ago . It was fantastic. This is the first movie have I been to the cinama to see in over 30 years. Comfortable seats and a wee table at your side. But I bought a small bottle of Iron Brew to take in and it cost £2 80. what a rip off.

Damien 06-10-2019 17:53

Jo Jo Rabbit 7/10 : Funny film, quite enjoyable
The Lighthouse 6/10 : Very weird film that's like having a fever dream. Whole thing is not only black and white but shot in a 4:3(?) ratio i.e not widescreen.
The Report 8/10 : Investigative drama which was compelling to keep your attention throughout.

MalteseFalcon 06-10-2019 21:46

Bohemian Rhapsody. Bloke playing Freddie Mercury was brilliant, the music was excellent and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Would watch it over and over again. 10/10

Damien 12-10-2019 20:37

Le Mans 66 - 8/10 : good film especially if you’re interested in the subject
Joker - 9/10 : Dark but it was much better then expected. Excellent take on a comic book movie, DC should continue this direction

Hugh 23-10-2019 17:10

Terminator: Dark Fate - 7/10

Very enjoyable, nice twists, great action pieces - third best Terminator movie so far.

General Maximus 23-10-2019 17:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36014850)
Terminator:Dark Fate - 7/10

Very enjoyable, nice twists, great action pieces - third best Terminator movie so far.

Ditto everything Hugh said in its entirety

denphone 24-10-2019 21:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36014851)
Ditto everything Hugh said in its entirety

l would say the second film was the best in terms of visual effects but the first one was very iconic.

Stephen 27-10-2019 08:55

Terminator: Dark Fate - 7/10

Very enjoyable and a worthy sequal to T2. Erased the other 3 recent films too which is great.

Halcyon 30-10-2019 08:27

Terminator - Dark Fate

I was glad to know this was a follow up to T1 and T2 as these are by far the best movies. This one doesnt dissapoint and had a well written storyline and really enjoyed the film.

Damien 03-11-2019 20:45

Monos - 9/10 : Very weird, good looking and sounding film. Very hard to explain other than that it does look very very good. The story is compelling enough although would be rather average without the look and sound of the film

Mr K 03-11-2019 21:13

Dracula (1931) starring Bela Lugosi. Best version. 10/10

Hugh 03-11-2019 22:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36016024)

Nah - Nosferatu (1922)

Mr K 04-11-2019 09:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36016034)
Nah - Nosferatu (1922)

I disagree, they overdid it with the finger nails ! ;)

denphone 05-11-2019 07:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36016024)

A very good film but my favourite was the 1992 version.

Mr K 07-11-2019 09:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36016133)
A very good film but my favourite was the 1992 version.

All good versions, just goes to prove what a good story it is ! Still think there's something in it, I've seen some suspect looking individuals around....

nashville 07-11-2019 12:32

Watched a picture the other night called Silence with Liam Neeson, it was quite a dark picture but very good,

denphone 08-11-2019 06:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36016344)
All good versions, just goes to prove what a good story it is ! Still think there's something in it, I've seen some suspect looking individuals around....

Do those suspect individuals include your self Mr K.:naughty::naughty:

Mr K 08-11-2019 20:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36016449)
Do those suspect individuals include your self Mr K.:naughty::naughty:

I'm vegetarian Den, drinking blood is a no no.

Jacob Rees Mogg needs a stake through the heart ( if has one) .

General Maximus 12-11-2019 18:02

Midway (2019): 7.5/10

A very very good film. I got instantly mardy at the start because it starts with Pearl Habour (which obviously kicked off the war for the Americans and precipitated Midway) which threw me off a bit but I quickly understood where it was going. It is a fantastic war film and if you love stuff like Black Hawk Down and American Sniper you'll love this. It has the perfect balance of what was happening behind the scenes on the intelligence front and the enormous air battles out at sea.

This is well worth you spending your money on and going to see at the cinema this weekend. Don't forget your popcorn :)

General Maximus 30-11-2019 15:35

Frozen II: 8/10

Technically it was fantastic, the animation and detail was superb as you would expect and many aspects of it were photo realistic. A great story embodying many morals and values and teaching you how to be a good person. Ironically the best bits and most humorous for me were the Olaf moments. He comes out with a lot of random trivia and quotes about things which sounds like nonsense but they are all true.

Charlies Angels (2019): 5/10

It's not bad but it is also not good. The key thing missing is the charm and charisma of the angels which was so apparent in the previous instalments. Even the action scenes were better in the previous films. The only thing this one had going for it was the hotness which they got bang on. I don't like blondes and I don't like short hair and I have never found Kristen Stewart attractive but she had me from the outset on this one.

denphone 30-11-2019 15:52

The Irishman another Martin Scorsese's crime epic.:tu:

9/10

ThunderPants73 05-12-2019 14:02

Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood

8/10 Loved it but not too keen on Leonardo Dicrappio. An odd ending, but one which I think we all wish had actually happened.

nashville 05-12-2019 16:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36018771)
The Irishman another Martin Scorsese's crime epic.:tu:

9/10

I watched this one Den and really enjoyed it,

Mr K 06-12-2019 07:43

Local Hero (1983). It's a beautiful uplifting film.

denphone 06-12-2019 08:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36019352)
Local Hero (1983). It's a beautiful uplifting film.

And the lovely soundtrack was done by the brilliant Mark Knopfler.

General Maximus 19-12-2019 02:55

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: 5.5/10

It is very much as mixed bag. I am sure the majority of people will think it is fantastic and the production quality was certainly top notch. The problem for me is that it was very hit and miss. It is definitely the best out of the three films but that isn't saying much. There are moments when they get is just right and it feels like true Star Wars and the rest of the time it just feels like a generic film which somebody has bought a license for so they can slap Star Wars on the front of it.

My feelings towards this trilogy can be described as how many people felt about the last season of GoT. I would gladly see it erased from existence and remade. In comparison to eps 1-6, I have come away from this feeling like I haven't been moved by any of the films, I couldn't care less about any of the new characters and tbh it hasn't felt like true Star Wars and a continuation of the story. I feel like the whole thing has been a process of regurgitating scenarios and scenes from the original trilogy and just bringing it up to date a bit, and you will see it in this film as well. As excited as people have been about the inclusion of the older actors/characters it could have been handled better. Again, it feels like a marketing plot more than anything else and in this film Lando was just wasted. He was there to look pretty and his character lacked the gravitas and presence that it did in the original trilogy. There are a couple of really stupid bits in it which annoyed me and made no sense at all and were there for the sake of progressing the story and you expect better from franchises such as this where everything hangs in the balance and every moment should count. I am curious to see if anyone else picks up on them.

The one good thing I will say about it is that you can see JJ has made a concerted effort to address what pissed everyone off about TLJ. Infuriating Rose is hardly in it and Luke is more himself.

I would say it is worth watching at the cinema in terms of the visual scifi spectacle but don't expect to come away from it having been wowed and satisfied by the conclusion of a story/trilogy.

Damien 19-12-2019 07:19

They should have given one director and writer the full trilogy rather than splitting them up. Personally I thought TLJ was the film that most tried to do something different and ambitious whereas TFA was full of fan service and feeding into a stand and formula. Rian Johnson has been given another Star Wars trliogy outside of the Skywalker arc so that’ll be interesting to see.

I haven’t seen the new one yet but everything I’ve heard so far suggests JJ Abrams has overreacted to the reception of the last film and tried to pivot back and load it full of fan pleasing elements to detriment of the overall film.

admars 19-12-2019 14:28

Rise of Skywalker 10/10 - loved it, best of these 3, 7 I had enjoyed before, 8 didn't but watched at weekend and it was ok, missus and I loved this one.

It had a mission, and it fulfilled it, not let down.

Stephen 19-12-2019 15:31

Rise of Skywalker - 7.5/10

Very enjoyable and a great ending for the saga. Final scene had me shedding a few years.

denphone 19-12-2019 16:47

l have not seen the the Rise of Skywalker yet so lets hope it lives up to my expectations.

1701-e 19-12-2019 16:57

Rise of Skywalker- great end to the saga. JJ has done the job.

ThunderPants73 21-12-2019 23:22

6 Underground

1/10. An absolute mess. Only managed half an hour.

Stephen 21-12-2019 23:31

Cats - 1/10

Total garbage. Not much else to say really.

denphone 22-12-2019 06:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen (Post 36020866)
Cats - 1/10

Total garbage. Not much else to say really.

The film critics have been quite savage towards this film in the last week and your opinion of it confirms it.

pip08456 22-12-2019 08:18

I doubt if this will save it but it unusual to happen.

Universal Notifies Theaters 'Cats' Is Being Updated With 'Improved Visual Effects'

Damien 22-12-2019 08:56

Star Wars - 5/10. Meh.

denphone 22-12-2019 09:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36020876)
I doubt if this will save it but it unusual to happen.

Universal Notifies Theaters 'Cats' Is Being Updated With 'Improved Visual Effects'

Very unusual for that to happen as no you are probably right it won't save the film from being a right turkey.

Hugh 22-12-2019 12:44

Star Wars:The Rise of Skywalker - 7/10.

Enjoyable, and wrapped things up.

admars 23-12-2019 16:36

Episode IX - again 8/10 this time.
sad to say not so good 2nd time, I enjoyed it, but wasn't amazed, I guess the relief that it wasn't as bad as Ep8 and rose tinted glasses weren't there :(
Found myself agreeing with the the negative comments :(

Damien 12-01-2020 14:44

1917: 9/10. Great film.

Damien 19-01-2020 17:49

Uncut Gems - 8/10. What a good and bizarre film! Adam Sandler is very good(!) in a serious role. It's a dark film though.

ThunderPants73 12-02-2020 11:17

Parasite

7/10 Good, but not Oscar worthy IMO.

nashville 12-02-2020 18:19

Downton Abbey Fantastic movie for everyone. 10 out of 10

denphone 17-02-2020 07:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by nashville (Post 36024724)
Downton Abbey Fantastic movie for everyone. 10 out of 10

A big fan of period drama myself nash as l thoroughly enjoyed the 6 series and spins offs so hopefully this will be more of the same.

heero_yuy 23-02-2020 15:30

James Bond: Living daylights. This was the first one with Timothy Dalton. Dreadful. So bad we stopped it after about 3/4 the way through. Where's the super villain? (under the mountain with a cat) The best thing was the title music (A-Ha)

2/10.

General Maximus 25-02-2020 10:46

I think all the old James Bond films are bad. Bad stunt and action scenes and terrible sound effects which have been clearly added on afterwards. The Pierce Brosnan films are too camp, the only good ones (and more realistic in keeping with the theme of the franchise) are the Daniel Craig films.

Stephen 25-02-2020 10:58

Craig is good and as modern movies go most of them are good apart from Quantum. That was pretty poor.

However I love the old Bond films, Connery was probably the best Bond and yes by the time it got to Moore they were utterly camp but in an endearing way. They are a good British institution. Many films added sounds after filming though, even now it's done a lot. Some of the action scenes worked well at the time but as the series went on, they suffered a lot from poor production and lowered budgets IMO. From Russia with Love and On her Majesties Secret Service are still two of my favourite films. Golden Eye was not bad too as it was the first I got to experience in the cinema.

007 will always appeal to people.

denphone 01-03-2020 11:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 36025531)
James Bond: Living daylights. This was the first one with Timothy Dalton. Dreadful. So bad we stopped it after about 3/4 the way through. Where's the super villain? (under the mountain with a cat) The best thing was the title music (A-Ha)

2/10.

l always liked Sean Connery as 007 although Daniel Craig is very good and Roger Moore was always suave and sophisticated when he took the role as well.

Stuart 06-04-2020 22:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Maximus (Post 36025655)
I think all the old James Bond films are bad. Bad stunt and action scenes and terrible sound effects which have been clearly added on afterwards. The Pierce Brosnan films are too camp, the only good ones (and more realistic in keeping with the theme of the franchise) are the Daniel Craig films.

Come on, if Bond were even the slightest bit realistic, no matter how good he was, a "secret" agent that well known would be dead before the week finished.

I've always enjoyed the Bond films because they were so unbelievable, but fun.

Not so much Casino Royale, which, IMO, was far too serious, and had little memorable about it, but even the Craig Bond films are fun.

I'm just watching "Underwater". TBH, a fairly standard disaster movie about a bunch of generic scientist and engineer type characters trying to escape from an underwater base when an unnamed disaster destroys a large chunk of it.

Think "The Abyss" without the interesting characters and good actors, and you've pretty much got it. 5/10.

denphone 07-04-2020 19:53

Around the World in 80 days 9/10.

Tricky Trevor 11-04-2020 14:13

Yesterday 8/10

Hugh 11-04-2020 14:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36030826)
Around the World in 80 days 9/10.

Which version - David Niven or Steve Coogan?

Paul 11-04-2020 15:11

Captain Marvel, 8/10.