Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797] (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33628733)

Hank 16-06-2008 21:22

Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Bold for my comments...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluecar1 (Post 34576751)
just seen posted over on iii 19:28

phormukPR ??

anyone care to respond?? i am sure a few will rise to the challenge :)

alex do you have contact with the gaurdian journalist? he may like to respond

peter

1. "Absolutely on track" at Phorm's end - reflecting the public 'heat', and understandably, ISPs are taking additional time to make sure they don't screw up - re: security and legality issues.
2. BT expected to launch "probably" within a week... or a few days thereafter.
Where's that MAC code?

3. Feeling pretty good on the recent PR trends in favour of Phorm - a positive editorial in last week's Economist, and earlier in the FT, plus a supportive speech in the House of Lords, plus recent supportive conversations with the Information Commissioner. And, a reduction in frequency of anti-Phorm blogging activity.
A reduction? They must be on some illegal substance. Did they miss the big debate here this weekend?

4. Kent expects the vocal minority to continue to become less and less vocal, and even more so once full service is launched.
We are not getting quieter. Perhaps it's necessary to get going around a bit more to other locations? I remind myself who his audience is on the posting this comes from!

5. As we assumed/understood, BT will launch first, with a press release accompanying the first 'interstitial notice' - i.e. the screen that pops up telling you that the system is on, and giving the option to opt out. Full roll-out across its customer base will be in a matter of days or weeks, but not longer. Virgin Media and TalkTalk are in full pre-launch preparation mode.
Not what they are saying though is it?

6. Once BT has launched, other announcements for other countries are expected. Country CEOs being recruited.
Ugh... They'll be looking in the murky depths of society then...

7. Publishers still totally on board - including the Guardian (whose journalist has been particularly vocal).
Did not notice the Guardian's change of heart

Conclusion: At last, positive newsflow does seem to be in the pipeline. We reiterate our Buy recommedation.

---------- Post added at 21:22 ---------- Previous post was at 21:18 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff (Post 34576793)
After this week it is likely I will be quiet for a week or two as I have to study for my taxi drivers exams and when I am not I will be working on the site/protest event so please don't think I have dropped everything but I have a family which means I have bills to pay and our mortgage already bounced this month so I have no choice than to take the job driving a cab until I finish my Masters.

All the best, don't be gone too long - keep the meter running. Wonder what you will think before replying to the great Customer to Taxi Driver question: "Been busy?" (Yeah, busy like you wouldn't believe!!)

Bobcat 16-06-2008 21:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by oblonsky (Post 34576814)
As a demonstration of support, can anyone who has been with this since the start but been quiet recently respond to this thread with these simple words:

I'M STILL HERE

O.

I've been trying to find more info about our Mr Ertugrul with little success apart from the way he seems to be able to raise loads of dosh, start up new companies which then soon disappear.
I might be wrong but f'rinstance Life.com doesn't exist as it was nor, of course, does 121media.

bluecar1 16-06-2008 21:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff (Post 34576793)
After this week it is likely I will be quiet for a week or two as I have to study for my taxi drivers exams and when I am not I will be working on the site/protest event so please don't think I have dropped everything but I have a family which means I have bills to pay and our mortgage already bounced this month so I have no choice than to take the job driving a cab until I finish my Masters.

Alexander Hanff

we look forward to the usual cabbie story of "guess who was in the back of my cab" when you get k*nt and give him a rough ride both verbally and and nipping round corners or having to brake sharp :)

AlexanderHanff 16-06-2008 21:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluecar1 (Post 34576866)
we look forward to the usual cabbie story of "guess who was in the back of my cab" when you get k*nt and give him a rough ride both verbally and and nipping round corners or having to brake sharp :)

I have the right to refuse customers and if Kent got into my cab he would be told to get out immediately. He would probably be using his cell phone to photo my ID and use the law books on the front seat to build a behavioural profile of me.

Alexander Hanff

Privacy_Matters 16-06-2008 21:29

The small upward surge in the stocks is based on MADNESS!!!!!

This is the group making the recommedation:

http://www.britishbulls.com/StockPag...Services&TYP=S

This is the basis of their recommendation:

http://www.candlesticker.com/Cs03.asp

SERIOUSLY, don't laugh so much... this is K*nt's lifeline...

These Loons are propping up the Price!!!

:shocked:

Wildie 16-06-2008 21:32

Sorry did his say offered a choice of OPT OUT and not offered a OPT IN, i am sure they been told it`s OPT IN.

bluecar1 16-06-2008 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobcat (Post 34576861)
I've been trying to find more info about our Mr Ertugrul with little success apart from the way he seems to be able to raise loads of dosh, start up new companies which then soon disappear.
I might be wrong but f'rinstance Life.com doesn't exist as it was nor, of course, does 121media.

so the next questions are

where does the money come from?

where does the money go?

why has the investment people not twigged any connection like the above?

as to 121media from iii, under news

04-05-07, 121Media completes reorganisation, becomes unit of Phorm by AFX UK Focus

LONDON (Thomson Financial) - Online advertising firm 121Media Inc has become a wholly-owned subsidiary of newly-formed holding company Phorm Inc following a reorganisation, Phorm said.

Each 121Media share has been converted into a share of Phorm, which began trading on AIM today.

note the date was 04-05-07 not a current news item

about k*nt from march 2005 from http://www.growthcompany.co.uk/aim/f...benjamin.thtml

He has already made his mark in industries as diverse as hamburger bars, online dating, voicemail, and micro-gravity flights for tourists (where he charged up to $11,000 dollars for a thirty-minute thrill ride in a MiG jet). His latest venture, online advertising play 121 Media, floated on AIM in December last year, raising £1.72 million at 245p a share. It is looking to tap into the growing market for online 'contextual advertising'. 'I've always valued a new challenge and, over the years, I have developed a 'why not?' perspective, and there is no reason why this business should not be huge,' explains Ertugrul.

Such a perspective is behind his aim to dramatically increase the two-to-three million people that currently use 121's offering. This is a simple product called 'Pagesense Desktop' that is imbedded in free, popular software programmes (especially file sharing ones) that are downloaded in their droves from the net. Pagesense allows 121 to legally interrogate a users habit and then deliver tailored advertisements on behalf of clients.

does that sound familiar, bury pagesense in a dodgy filesharing app, bury the legal loophole saying you consent somewhere deep in the EULA that no-one ever reads,

hmm, fast forward to present, bury the kit in a dodgy ISP, bury the legal loophole (it's l-l-l-legal honest) as a upgraded privacy clause in the ISP's T's and C's very few people read

anyone see any similarities??

peter

oblonsky 16-06-2008 22:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildie (Post 34576879)
Sorry did his say offered a choice of OPT OUT and not offered a OPT IN, i am sure they been told it`s OPT IN.

Ask any marketeer what their understanding of "opt-in" is.

"opt-in" means the tick box says "tick here if you want to receive junk mail"

"opt-out" means the tick box says "tick here if you do not want to receive junk mail"

Now I suspect that someone in BT/Phorm has interpreted the ICOs recommendation to mean that users can be plagued by these interstitian *demands* for consent whenever they delete their cookies so long as the screen says

"Join webwise today, it's fun, free and makes the world a better place, tick here if you agree".

Clicking cancel will opt you out and BT/Phorm hope this satisfies the lawyers.

As a technologist and protocols expert I have to seriously disagree. Opt-in to my mind means a clean connection until I take the action of visiting the BT website and chosing to turn Phorm on.

BT and Phorm to my mind know this is a non-started and are looking, I would imagine, for a compromise which allows them to prove to the ICO that it is "opt-in" whilst actually getting enough customers to make it worth while, i.e. coming up with a fudged definition of opt-in.

serial 16-06-2008 22:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dephormation (Post 34576798)
British Bulls reference on iii. Hosted in the USA. Registered in Turkey via Godaddy. So not very British seemingly.

Registrant:
Ali Ulvi Hicbikmaz
Baglarbasi, Icadiye Mah.
Temasa Sok. 9/7 Uskudar
Istanbul 81200
Turkey

Quote:

Originally Posted by Privacy_Matters (Post 34576872)
The small upward surge in the stocks is based on MADNESS!!!!!

This is the group making the recommedation:

http://www.britishbulls.com/StockPag...Services&TYP=S

This is the basis of their recommendation:

http://www.candlesticker.com/Cs03.asp

http://www.aboutus.org/CandlesTicker.com

LOL

bluecar1 16-06-2008 22:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by oblonsky (Post 34576960)
Ask any marketeer what their understanding of "opt-in" is.

"opt-in" means the tick box says "tick here if you want to receive junk mail"

"opt-out" means the tick box says "tick here if you do not want to receive junk mail"

BT and Phorm to my mind know this is a non-started and are looking, I would imagine, for a compromise which allows them to prove to the ICO that it is "opt-in" whilst actually getting enough customers to make it worth while, i.e. coming up with a fudged definition of opt-in.

correct me if i am wrong but is it not the profiler that does the cookie checks? if so all traffic has to pass through the profiler and therefore is intercepted whether you accept the new contract or not,

hmm, interesting for those of us who do not intend to accept it, as we will not have given BT permission to do anything different with our traffic i feel some legal letters heading to BT the moment they start messing with traffic

peter

Ravenheart 16-06-2008 22:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by serial (Post 34576962)
http://www.aboutus.org/CandlesTicker.com

LOL

Have a look at the privacy policy http://www.britishbulls.com/Privacy.asp

They use a firm called Tribalfusion for the pop under ads

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribal_Fusion_(Ad_Network)

Pop under ads to stop which subvert pop-up blocking software., puts software on people's computers.. hmm now why does that sound familiar.

markt50 16-06-2008 22:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by oblonsky (Post 34576814)
As a demonstration of support, can anyone who has been with this since the start but been quiet recently respond to this thread with these simple words:

I'M STILL HERE

O.

I'M STILL HERE.

I just get so angry about how much spin Kent and his mob keep putting on things. He may well think we are becoming less vocal, but I just don't see it like that. I think some of us just feel that there is not much more we can do at the moment and are waiting to see what the ISP's and PHORM do next.

Nearly 15,000 people have kindly taken the time to sign the petition I setup on the PM's website, I would submit that there are more people concerned about this issue than Kent gives credit for, but then it does seem to be in his interests to paint us as a vocal and vociferous minority, and I'm sure if he can get away with it, the next stage will be to try and portray us as a 'lunatic fringe'.

This issue is just so important to me that for the first time in my life I feel strongly enough to consider joining the protest on the 16th July. This might not sound like much, but then I'm just an ordinary bloke (Who happens to work in IT and so understands the impact of this), I've never protested in my life. The thoughts of it even scare me a little, but I don't want to be one of those people who sits on the sofa and complains without at least trying to do something. I've booked the time off work and look forward to getting the details on the protest.

Tharrick 16-06-2008 22:47

I'd love to be able to go to the protest, but I've just realised the futility of having a BSc in Microbiology without any lab experience. So I shall probably be flipping burgers in McDonalds or something on the date :(

Ravenheart 16-06-2008 22:56

Hmm on doing some diggin on Tribalfusion it seems they're linked in with back door trojans, along with their adware/spyware cookies.

http://siteadvisor.hk/sites/tribalfusion.com

Wonder if Kent is calling in favours from his old virus peddling buddies.

Privacy_Matters 16-06-2008 22:57

Ok, I get a message from my virus software that somone is trying to connect remotely to my PC.

So I check the logs....

I have had over 200 attempts to access my PC, all randomly selected from about 20 IPS*, all trying different ports.

My logs contain a total of 30 attempts IN A YEAR, then over 200 in 4 hours!!! WTF?

Anyone else record anything strange today?

* I've checked the IPs on Ripe, and there are common factors: 1/. about half are within VMs Network 2/. a quarter from Germany 3/. a quarter from the Ukraine