Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Moans and Pet Hates - Part 8 (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33698080)

Mr K 19-01-2020 08:28

Re: Moans and Pet Hates part 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36023115)
I'm looking into getting a soundbar as I struggle to hear dialogue clearly even with hearing aids.

Hard work trying to find a good not to expensive Samsung soundbar as the reviews vary so much.

One thing I am unsure about is whether other makes of soundbar can be operated with my Samsung TV remote.?

You can Bluetooth to hearing aids, if you hadn't tried that. You might need an small box which converts Bluetooth to the hearing aid loop. Save deafening anyone else in the house!

peanut 19-01-2020 09:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36023126)
You can Bluetooth to hearing aids, if you hadn't tried that. You might need an small box which converts Bluetooth to the hearing aid loop. Save deafening anyone else in the house!

You can but the sound quality that way is generally crap and not worth the money.

Mr K 19-01-2020 09:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by peanut (Post 36023127)
You can but the sound quality that way is generally crap and not worth the money.

Works well for.my Mrs. when listening to music/audio books (also is a bit of peace and quiet for me ! ;) ) Sound gimmicks are a bit irrelevant when you just want it to be audible.

SnoopZ 19-01-2020 10:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 36023121)
My pal in Sandy might be selling his if you're interested?

Thanks for the offer but i will buy a suitably new soundbar when i am ready. :)

---------- Post added at 10:21 ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36023126)

Luckily im not that deaf, but thanks for the info i will look into it at some point.

Hom3r 19-01-2020 15:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36023115)
I'm looking into getting a soundbar as I struggle to hear dialogue clearly even with hearing aids.

Hard work trying to find a good not to expensive Samsung soundbar as the reviews vary so much.

One thing I am unsure about is whether other makes of soundbar can be operated with my Samsung TV remote.?

I have a Samsung Sound Stage.

it connects to the TV via Fibre Optics.

Great sound.

Similar to mine

https://www.samsung.com/uk/audio-video/soundbar-h500/

Hugh 27-01-2020 15:02

My 4 year old iPad Pro just borked - fine last night, no power this morning, and won't charge or turn on (tried everything I could find from the interwebs and Apple Support, but no joy).

I went to my local Apple Premium Service Provider (Clockwork Creative Technology), as they could give me an appointment this morning, rather than sometime next week at the Leeds Apple Store.

It failed the HDI Integrated Current Checker Diagnostic test - can't get any power, so won't power up; can't find anywhere who fixes iPads, just screen replacement shops.

Apparently, they are so integrated in design that they are impossible to repair (except for the screens) - all Apple will do is offer a like for like replacement (same model - 2015 12.9" 128GB) for £589; I might as well buy the new model, and pay the difference.

So that's a bunch of money I wasn't planning on spending this month, but it's my main method of media consumption, so, c'est la vie - it's only money...

nashville 27-01-2020 17:20

Terrible when your tech goes wrong, A lot of money, so enjoy

Uncle Peter 28-01-2020 13:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36023745)
My 4 year old iPad Pro just borked - fine last night, no power this morning, and won't charge or turn on (tried everything I could find from the interwebs and Apple Support, but no joy).

I went to my local Apple Premium Service Provider (Clockwork Creative Technology), as they could give me an appointment this morning, rather than sometime next week at the Leeds Apple Store.

It failed the HDI Integrated Current Checker Diagnostic test - can't get any power, so won't power up; can't find anywhere who fixes iPads, just screen replacement shops.

Apparently, they are so integrated in design that they are impossible to repair (except for the screens) - all Apple will do is offer a like for like replacement (same model - 2015 12.9" 128GB) for £589; I might as well buy the new model, and pay the difference.

So that's a bunch of money I wasn't planning on spending this month, but it's my main method of media consumption, so, c'est la vie - it's only money...

How was your old one running under iPadOS? I have the same model and it's running like an absolute dog: Random instances of the touch input freezing and being generally unresponsive. Haven't tried a device wipe yet but that could be the next move.

Hugh 28-01-2020 18:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Peter (Post 36023803)
How was your old one running under iPadOS? I have the same model and it's running like an absolute dog: Random instances of the touch input freezing and being generally unresponsive. Haven't tried a device wipe yet but that could be the next move.

The old one worked fine under iPadOS - no problems at all.

mrmistoffelees 03-02-2020 12:17

Tax codes, HMRC

Gits

SnoopZ 11-02-2020 11:26

For the last 2 days i keep getting powercuts in the wind for a few seconds! Pain in the ass with food in the oven and when it kills the internet!

denphone 11-02-2020 11:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36024633)
For the last 2 days i keep getting powercuts in the wind for a few seconds! Pain in the ass with food in the oven and when it kills the internet!

We had one a couple of weeks ago but thankfully nothing since.

l know how you feel SnoopZ.

SnoopZ 11-02-2020 11:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36024634)
We had one a couple of weeks ago but thankfully nothing since.

l know how you feel SnoopZ.

Just had another one! oh well foods out the oven and start work soon, just hope the storms stop soon.

Stuart 11-02-2020 15:16

Grr. The local gas company have apparently found they need to upgrade the entire network.

This process involves digging up the pavement outside every house in the road, replacing both the gas mains. They chose to start this last Thursday, so they left a message stating I would need to speak to the engineer at 8am on Saturday (I usually have a lay in on Saturdays), as the Engineer needed to confirm every gas appliance we have was turned off. We only have two (the hob and boiler), so I turned them off at the time he was due to come.

He turned up at nearly 10am.. He did replace the main fairly quickly (still took an hour), and frequently left the house, so I had to leave the front door open. I needed to do this anyway as there was a strong smell of gas while he was working. It was rather cold in the house when he finished.

However, when he was finishing up, he noted that at some point in the past, someone has removed the earth bond between the consumer unit and the gas main. Don't know who, as in the last few years, both our internal gas pipes and the consumer unit have been replaced, so it could have been either the company that installed the heating or the electrician who replaced the consumer unit.

I'm expecting more bloody expense getting it fixed..

heero_yuy 11-02-2020 17:28

You should be able to do this yourself: The consumer unit should have a large earth terminal block on the panel. In town the braid of the incoming electric supply is bonded here. In rural areas this runs to an earth rod just outside.

An earthing clip and some 6mm yellow/green cable from the metal gas pipe to that block will do the job.

There should also be a similar cross bond to the incoming water main.

This didn't used to be needed but with both gas and water mains being replaced with plastic the metal piping, sink, bath, shower etc. all need to be cross bonded inside the house. This is an important safety issue.