Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Sky Glass TV (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710438)

nialli 07-10-2021 13:14

Sky Glass TV

https://www.whathifi.com/news/sky-gl...dish-necessary

SnoopZ 07-10-2021 13:25

Re: Bye bye Virgin Media?

I wouldn't go out and buy a new TV just to have Sky built in, they need a standalone box that anyone can use over their broadband connection, i guess that'll be out at the same time.

Jaymoss 07-10-2021 16:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by nialli (Post 36096314)

if them prices are right then the tvs are cheaper to buy monthly than outright but I would not want to be tied to a 4 year contract

Bob 07-10-2021 17:09

It's certainly an interesting proposition.

You're not locked into a 4 year contract for the TV service, but it's the term of the loan to cover the physical TV you're buying. It looks like there is a 2 year term and an option to pay outright.

The TV contract looks to be 31 days, however it's worth noting that there are only "up to 140 channels" available, with no indication which channels aside from the Sky portfolio. So whilst the monthly pricing seems quite reasonable, you're getting less for your money. But to be expected on a monthly contract.

Dolby Atmos and HDR look to require an extra £5 spend per month and there was some mention of ad skipping being included for free for the first 12 months, then £5 a month there after. But wasn't sure to what services the ad skipping would apply to - maybe recordings?

Sources

1701-e 07-10-2021 18:10

In relation to the thread title..... No!

muppetman11 07-10-2021 19:08

Not remotely interested and not something that would tempt me back to Sky.

Itshim 07-10-2021 19:15

Don't see the point but what do I know!

Mad Max 07-10-2021 20:47

Looks interesting, quite a change in the offing with regards to not needing a STB/dish.

Legendkiller2k 07-10-2021 21:30

All i'm saying is don't count vm out just yet they have something in the pipeline ;)

Mad Max 07-10-2021 21:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36096436)
All i'm saying is don't count vm out just yet they have something in the pipeline ;)

Ooooh, you're such a tease....:D

TimeLord2018 07-10-2021 21:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 36096369)

You're not locked into a 4 year contract for the TV service, but it's the term of the loan to cover the physical TV you're buying. It looks like there is a 2 year term and an option to pay outright.

The TV contract looks to be 31 days, however it's worth noting that there are only "up to 140 channels" available, with no indication which channels aside from the Sky portfolio. So whilst the monthly pricing seems quite reasonable, you're getting less for your money. But to be expected on a monthly contract.

Dolby Atmos and HDR look to require an extra £5 spend per month and there was some mention of ad skipping being included for free for the first 12 months, then £5 a month there after. But wasn't sure to what services the ad skipping would apply to - maybe recordings?

Sources

There is no Recording facility
https://www.pocket-lint.com/tv/revie...lass-review-tv

Jaymoss 07-10-2021 21:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 36096369)

Sources

So I guess it is an ok way of getting a TV on interest free credit (although if you shop around Paypal Credit with some retailers do interest free)

I have to say again, Who made up the pricing? £1049 to buy the 65 inch model outright or pay £21 which is £1008 so buy it on terms save £40 and not see all the money go at once

Hugh 07-10-2021 21:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36096436)

A TV that can receive streaming & linear via a built-in satellite dish?

:D

Mr K 07-10-2021 21:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 36096429)
Looks interesting, quite a change in the offing with regards to not needing a STB/dish.

Yes but you do need an Internet connection. It goes down, so does your TV.
Same with voip v landline phone. .
There are advantages to not having tv, broadband and phone all dependent on the same BB connection.

Hugh 07-10-2021 21:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36096445)
Yes but you do need an Internet connection. It goes down, so does your TV.
Same with voip v landline phone. .
There are advantages to not having tv, broadband and phone all dependent on the same BB connection.

It’s got an aerial socket (it’s freeview enabled), so there’s that as back-up.

That’s what we have on our Sony TV.