Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : New Pick 'n' Mix option TV bundles (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707632)

cheekyangus 01-05-2019 18:00

Re: New Pick 'n' Mix option TV bundles

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicMaster (Post 35992938)
Unfortunately not.

Universal HD (as well as some other HD channels like Syfy HD, Sky One HD, Sky Witness HD, Sky Sports Mix HD and Sky Sports News HD) remain Full House only and are not included in the new 'Entertainment Picks'.

It's a mess.

And all those channels have Comcast as their parent company.

Horizon 01-05-2019 18:36

JJ20x posted on my site over a week ago about these new bundles and has posted a update again:

https://www.forumbox.co.uk/forum/thr...-virgin-media/

cheekyangus 01-05-2019 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35992947)
JJ20x posted on my site over a week ago about these new channels and has posted a update again:

https://www.forumbox.co.uk/forum/thr...-virgin-media/

And I noticed JJ20x also mentioned there some changes to the Player bundle I hadn't noticed (mainly becaise I'm on a higher package and I'm working it out using VM website and channel lists). I'll put that, with appropriate credit, on the Changelog thread.

japitts 02-05-2019 12:23

I presume boxsets also remain in the new Full House, not sure I'd put it past VM to treat that like the kids pack and make it a chargeable add-on.

cheekyangus 02-05-2019 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by japitts (Post 35993051)
I presume boxsets also remain in the new Full House, not sure I'd put it past VM to treat that like the kids pack and make it a chargeable add-on.

I'd imagine so as there are boxsets mentioned in the marketing saying they are in some of the Add-On packs, and Full House is basically meant to be All The (non-premium) Add-On Packs Except The Kids TV One from now on. At least that's the impression I get from how VM put it on their website/social media.

Horizon 02-05-2019 12:42

Full House is no longer full house. Sneaky way to bring in a price increase...

RichardCoulter 02-05-2019 12:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 35993056)
I'd imagine so as there are boxsets mentioned in the marketing saying they are in some of the Add-On packs, and Full House is basically meant to be All The (non-premium) Add-On Packs Except The Kids TV One from now on. At least that's the impression I get from how VM put it on their website/social media.

Sky have boxsets as an add on (£5 per month I think).

I wonder if I will be able to 'downgrade' to the new Full House and pay a fiver a month less without the kids channels? I bet that VM will say that those who do will lose their discounts, meaning i'd be paying more for less channels.

It will be useful not having to go through Planned Recordings and deleting kids stuff that TiVo has picked up though. I really wish that TiVo had an option to ignore chosen channels as I have little interest in kids, shopping and foreign channels.

nodrogd 02-05-2019 12:47

Seems as though someone has already fallen foul of the issue with Kids channels being removed from Full House:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...e/td-p/3982147

denphone 02-05-2019 12:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35993058)
Full House is no longer full house. Sneaky way to bring in a price increase...

Most companies are sneaky with their price rises.

RichardCoulter 02-05-2019 13:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35993065)
Most companies are sneaky with their price rises.

I've always said that the ultimate result of a system like this, is that people will end up paying the same for less channels (even if they are channels that aren't watched, at least people have a choice if there's a chance that something apears that they do want to watch).

One example for me is BT Sport, I like some of their BT Sport Films programmes.

Horizon 02-05-2019 13:19

That's the argument that the pay tv companies have always used too Richard, in that having the big bundle of channels, gives the opportunity to access less popular channels, which are in effect subsidised by the popular ones.

RichardCoulter 02-05-2019 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35993083)
That's the argument that the pay tv companies have always used too Richard, in that having the big bundle of channels, gives the opportunity to access less popular channels, which are in effect subsidised by the popular ones.

Yep. If I save some money by dropping some channels that I don't watch, but you do and you do the same vice versa, all of the channels receive less subscription income.

This then either means that there is less money for programming on all of the channels or they have to recoup the lost income by asking VM for a bigger cut of the subs from those that do want to receive the channels in question.

The end result is that either:

- VM do not agree to increase the subs to particular channels and the money available for new programming decreases or

- VM agree to increase the cut of the subs for particular channels and pass this on to their customers. So, what you gain by no longer contributing to the cost of channels that other people watch, you lose as the cost of the channels that you do watch goes up.

The only outcome that I can see is less money to invest in programming, or the customer ends up paying about the same for less channels.

cheekyangus 02-05-2019 18:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodrogd (Post 35993061)
Seems as though someone has already fallen foul of the issue with Kids channels being removed from Full House:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5...e/td-p/3982147

Wow. VM forgot to tell the relevant staff. :shocked:

OLD BOY 02-05-2019 18:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35993083)

Maybe they should give people the choice of either pick'n'mix or all channels. Now there's a revolutionary thought!

Horizon 02-05-2019 18:47

Some of the American companies are offering ala carte options old boy, but I think this is all old hat now.

We both see streaming as the future, because it is, and so what Sky, VM, BT do with their channel packs doesn't really matter now either way.