Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Installation Issues (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Can we hide splitter tidily? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33706098)

Johjames 28-02-2018 09:34

Can we hide splitter tidily?

Hi All,

Thanks for helping a beginner out. We have a virgin media bb package and following the install we have a rather ugly 2 way splitter dangling down our wall, out of the interior white VM box. Is there any way you folks, who have far more experience and expertise, I can hide this? I was thinking about putting it in a back box and connecting to an f-type front plate, but I’m not sure if this will cause interference. Thanks again!

weesteev 28-02-2018 12:46

Re: Can we hide splitter tidily?

As long as the faceplate you use is rated to the same frequency as the splitter being used then I dont see why it would be an issue. 0-1000mhz is the legacy range, newer kit is 0-1200mhz. If you have the option to flush mount your back box then maybe consider euro modules instead.

HTH

Johjames 28-02-2018 23:35

Thanks, that's very kind of you to let me know that. Do we need to leave the plastic Virgin Media internal box, or is there any way we can hide the contents of this in a back box in the wall? Thanks again.

weesteev 01-03-2018 10:10

That box is just a housing for an isolator, it can be easily removed but if its one of the older style "box" isolators then it may be quite big to hide. Where in the UK are you? I may be able to get you a isolated Euro Module unit if that's any use?

Johjames 01-03-2018 11:07

Thanks Weesteev, that’s very kind. I’m in London. Would the unit replace the housing for the isolator? Thanks!

pip08456 01-03-2018 11:33

The unit would replace everything as an all in one unit. Depends if weestev can supply you. He may not cover your area, I'm sure he'll do his best though.

Johjames 01-03-2018 11:44

Ah, that sounds wonderful! I’m running out of thank you’s, but thank you!

weesteev 02-03-2018 19:28

Hi Johjames

Can you post me a picture of your current setup and I will sort out a solution for you.

Cheers

Steve

Johjames 02-03-2018 20:02

Hi Steve,

Of course I will, thanks again!

Johjames 02-03-2018 22:10

1 Attachment(s)
Here it is, enjoy the paintwork! This is pre-renovation of course.

vm_tech 03-03-2018 08:31

That open port on the splitter will be causing noise, and I’m assuming you haven’t got tv? Just use an 11mm spanner, and take the splitter out the equation.

Johjames 03-03-2018 18:09

Thanks vm_tech. Is there any reason why we'd need the splitter if we only use the Virgin broadband? Hopefully we can still hide the rest of it away though!

spiderplant 03-03-2018 19:47

No, you don't need the splitter at all if you only have broadband. A previous occupant must have had TV as well as broadband.

Unscrew the cable from the bottom of the white box, and unscrew the long cable that goes from the splitter to the Hub, then connect the long cable straight into the white box. You can bin the splitter and the short cable.

Johjames 03-03-2018 21:27

Spiderplant, I'll definitely do that, thanks for imparting your expertise. Will it help with the broadband speed at all? Hopefully I can discover here how to hide the plastic box too!

RobboEdin 03-03-2018 22:06

Removing the splitter will change your broadband power levels.
What effect this will have, if any, is dependent on what your current power levels are.