Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   HD : ITV Hub - SD/HD (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709238)

Chris James 21-07-2020 17:56

ITV Hub - SD/HD

Just discovered an oddity which may have been posted before - if so I missed it!
If you open the ITV Hub in Virgin's list of apps and search for Van Der Valk (for example) then open it you get adverts at the beginning, possibly throughout the episode as well, have a giant ITV logo in the top left hand corner and, worst of all, in SD with no option for HD.
Instead, if you open the Tivo menu and search for Van Der Valk you get results that include the ITV Hub in HD. Open that and the programme starts with no adverts, either before or throughout, no logo and in HD obviously. Weird!

Tricky Trevor 22-07-2020 07:56

Re: ITV Hub - SD/HD

Facinating

nodrogd 23-07-2020 17:04

Some of the content on ITV Hub is still coming from VMs broadcast playout system. The rest is coming directly off the internet, as in the case of All4 & My5.

Also it depends whether you have a TiVO or a V6 as to what version of catch-up you get on some channels.

cheekyangus 23-07-2020 17:54

And probably whether you are in Scotland or not, as we don't have the ITV Hub app and still get the branded folders of VM's own systems.

japitts 23-07-2020 19:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodrogd (Post 36044438)
Some of the content on ITV Hub is still coming from VMs broadcast playout system. The rest is coming directly off the internet, as in the case of All4 & My5.

Also it depends whether you have a TiVO or a V6 as to what version of catch-up you get on some channels.

I'm pretty certain all of CatchUp is now IP-VOD with HD offered, across the board on V6 & TiVo.

Not sure what resolution ITV Hub, 4od or My5 are, but I'd sure choose VM's VOD given the choice!

nodrogd 29-07-2020 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by japitts (Post 36044451)
I'm pretty certain all of CatchUp is now IP-VOD with HD offered, across the board on V6 & TiVo.

Not sure what resolution ITV Hub, 4od or My5 are, but I'd sure choose VM's VOD given the choice!

TiVOs do not have the All4 or My5 apps only V6 boxes, so I have been told. All these & ITV Hub have to run from Virgins playout system for these boxes.

cheekyangus 29-07-2020 16:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by nodrogd (Post 36045029)
TiVOs do not have the All4 or My5 apps only V6 boxes, so I have been told. All these & ITV Hub have to run from Virgins playout system for these boxes.

I think japitts was saying that Virgin's playout system was now IP-based.

japitts 31-07-2020 09:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 36045036)
I think japitts was saying that Virgin's playout system was now IP-based.

Yep. TiVos don't have the ITV, C4 or C5-apps, but all of CatchUp went HD, IP-based and 30days across-the-board a couple of months ago now.

Boxsets were mainly IP-based, but I think now exclusively so.

I'm not convinced about the PQ on C4-app-based shows, but ITV & C5 seems better.

nomadking 31-07-2020 10:08

Just because the output is in HD, doesn't mean the source is, and isn't just upscaled SD.

heavyside 31-07-2020 10:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by japitts (Post 36045161)
Yep. TiVos don't have the ITV, C4 or C5-apps, but all of CatchUp went HD, IP-based and 30days across-the-board a couple of months ago now.

Boxsets were mainly IP-based, but I think now exclusively so.

I'm not convinced about the PQ on C4-app-based shows, but ITV & C5 seems better.

All of the shows on the All4 app are SD only.

Quote:

We would advise that HD content is not currently available on the new Virgin app, we had hoped to have it at inception, but the pandemic has delayed this. We do hope to make HD available at some point, but unfortunately we don't have a date at this time.

OLD BOY 31-07-2020 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by heavyside (Post 36045170)
All of the shows on the All4 app are SD only.

On Virgin Media, and only temporarily.

heavyside 31-07-2020 15:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36045208)
On Virgin Media, and only temporarily.

Do you have info on when the HD shows will arrive? If so, spill the beans.

OLD BOY 31-07-2020 15:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by heavyside (Post 36045224)
Do you have info on when the HD shows will arrive? If so, spill the beans.

We haven't been told, sorry.

Chris James 01-08-2020 16:26

I see Pick on Ch 165 has now reverted to SD now the footie has finished. How petty of Sky! Good job there's hardly anything worth watching on it....

denphone 01-08-2020 16:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris James (Post 36045341)
I see Pick on Ch 165 has now reverted to SD now the footie has finished. How petty of Sky! Good job there's hardly anything worth watching on it....

No surprise there as Sky will want extra for the HD version.