Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   100M : Keep getting a phone call saying they will cut internet (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33708151)

martkt10 11-09-2019 18:31

Keep getting a phone call saying they will cut internet

Hi folks,

I keep getting a phone call from 01646083973 or 01062956263, both are recorded messages saying they are going to cut my internet off because of torrenting

Are they a scam ?

Thanks for any help;)

heero_yuy 11-09-2019 18:41

Re: Keep getting a phone call saying they will cut internet

Neither number is an ISP so I'd say it's a scam. The most likely warning you'll get about (illegal) torrents is from VM themselves and that's by email to your account addy.

martkt10 11-09-2019 18:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 36009766)
Neither number is an ISP so I'd say it's a scam. The most likely warning you'll get about (illegal) torrents is from VM themselves and that's by email to your account addy.

Would it be best to not answer the number's again ? as i don't know how to block them

Paul 11-09-2019 18:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by martkt10 (Post 36009768)
Would it be best to not answer the number's again ? as i don't know how to block them

Yes. They dont sound at all legit.

martkt10 11-09-2019 18:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 36009769)
Yes. They dont sound at all legit.

Thank you

daveeb 11-09-2019 20:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by martkt10 (Post 36009763)
Hi folks,

I keep getting a phone call from 01646083973 or 01062956263, both are recorded messages saying they are going to cut my internet off because of torrenting

Are they a scam ?

Thanks for any help;)

I think with issues like this they would write to you if you were abusing the system. I'd definitely ignore the calls.

ccarmock 11-09-2019 20:46

This sounds liek a variant of the widespread scam that has been going on for a time. Likely if you speak to them they will offer to help get rid of the problem by talking you through some tasks on your PC that will give them remote access to it.

I get these calls often They usually claim to be BT Openreach. Two points - Openreach do not talk directly to end users, and secondly since I am with Virginmedia BT is not involved.

Hugh 11-09-2019 21:08

They are a scam - they just say "we are from your ISP" without naming the provider.

daveeb 11-09-2019 21:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by ccarmock (Post 36009802)
This sounds liek a variant of the widespread scam that has been going on for a time. Likely if you speak to them they will offer to help get rid of the problem by talking you through some tasks on your PC that will give them remote access to it.

I get these calls often They usually claim to be BT Openreach. Two points - Openreach do not talk directly to end users, and secondly since I am with Virginmedia BT is not involved.

Yes the usual routine is bill you for "work" done, empty your account if you're really unlucky or syskey the pc (i.e. change your login password) then charge you to recover it.

cupcakes aka dd 11-09-2019 23:07

I had a hoax call from Ofcom recently. Ignore

Maggy 12-09-2019 08:26

Just put the phone down..

Ken W 12-09-2019 09:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36009807)
They are a scam - they just say "we are from your ISP" without naming the provider.

|I get them often, I just ignore and delete

tweetiepooh 12-09-2019 11:21

I feel like answering and asking them for their ID so I can check them out. But really I can't be bothered.

roughbeast 12-09-2019 11:25

I get those daily, from similar numbers. It is a scam. You can't ring back and the message is usually automated. The origin of these calls is offshore, so there is nothing you can do apart from putting the phone down or by telling them to - second word is 'off'.

tweetiepooh 12-09-2019 11:58

The spoof the originating number too, the latest ones look like a mobile (not likely to be ISP but could be a friend we don't the number stored for) or 034 so could be a call from supplier of some sort.

The real number is known so excepting known exceptions it would be nice if telcos could look to tagging or dropping calls where the claimed number doesn't match. I know there are legitimate reasons sometimes maybe but they should be exceptions.