Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sport (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Football : Season 2018/2019 (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33706422)

iadom 28-07-2018 22:35

Re: Season 2018/2019

Nice ‘fall/dive ‘ from Salah there. :rolleyes:

Stunning free kick from A Pereira, I thought he was good enough for first team last season, hope he gets a chance this time.

Strange to see a crowd of 100,000 with United and Liverpool shirts totally intermingled. :)

denphone 29-07-2018 05:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by iadom (Post 35957090)
Nice ‘fall/dive ‘ from Salah there. :rolleyes:

Stunning free kick from A Pereira, I thought he was good enough for first team last season, hope he gets a chance this time.

Strange to see a crowd of 100,000 with United and Liverpool shirts totally intermingled. :)

Remember results are not usually replicated down the road.;):D

iadom 29-07-2018 09:31

Friendlies are meaningless at the best of times and pre season with half the players resting from the World Cup purely a money making exercise.:(

denphone 29-07-2018 09:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by iadom (Post 35957113)
Friendlies are meaningless at the best of times and pre season with half the players resting from the World Cup purely a money making exercise.:(

Jose showing his displeasure this morning l see Jim.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...ansfer-process

adzii_nufc 03-08-2018 06:24

Newcastle are on the brink of disaster. The club is disguising the fact its in meltdown right now. I'm unsure what happened. Unsure where the money disappeared to or whether it has. The conspiracies seem to hold weight. That Ashley expected Staveley to crawl back or he's holding funds back to sell at a lower price. A gamble which could destroy the club.

Ultimately Benitez made his position known. He's fed up, the players are fed up. The fans have either fallen over the edge or they're sat on that edge waiting to 'riot'

Newcastle are in the most dangerous period of the club's history.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...ed-squad-depth

Carth 03-08-2018 11:37

I don't see any 'disaster' there.

What I do see is people who want to spend £300 million hoping to compete with the top 4. Not gonna happen.

Premiership is simply spend spend spend, only winners are the players and their agents.

Play the squad you have, finish 19th, retain your place in the 'best league in the world' and take the money.

oh, and if you do buy, buy British :D

adzii_nufc 03-08-2018 12:28

Eh? Finish 19th and retain your position? Spending 300 million? What on earth are you going on about. There's not a single team in the league with a net spend of that. Nor is it legally doable.

The issue with Newcastle is the complete lack of reinvestment after being paid a decent sum from TV deals. No one is up in arms about top 4 football. They're up in arms about not spending on par with teams around them and then the owner appearing on Sky Sports saying mistakes were made when they go down. They're annoyed that Rafa Benitez was promised all income would be made available to improve a deadwood squad. That's not happened so naturally he's irate.

The disaster being Newcastle are heading into a season without the investment they needed, are likely to be among the favourites to go down. Rafa Benitez is in the last year of his contract and will walk away from a board that has screwed him at every turn and the fans will revolt, all on top of the very fair chance the owner won't reinvest in returning to the Premier League leaving Newcastle with huge losses and an uncertain future.

I'd say that's a fair disaster. Don't take my word for it though. We'll just use Villa whom had the plug pulled on them and were sold to a chinese investor trying to make a quick buck, just recently securing investment in the championship to keep the club alive but once again find themselves absolutely needing promotion or face potential financial ruin. Then Sunderland who also had the plug pulled on them by Ellis Short. They're now in League One.

Carth 03-08-2018 13:03

oooops, I forgot there are only 20 teams up there at the top of the pyramid :D

doesn't matter though, Newcastle won't go down . . . . unless they carry on with the 'negative attitude' and can't be bothered to play :)

denphone 03-08-2018 13:08

There are a few clubs in the premiership who certainly have not got the players Newcastle have got as l expect them to stay up as well.

adzii_nufc 04-08-2018 08:15

There were a few clubs in the Premier league weaker than Newcastle. That's quickly disappeared. We're going into the season with a squad on par or slightly weaker than the last. Not forgetting we were teetering on the edge of relegation till the last two months. Teams around us are strengthening. Brighton are investing their new found money whilst ours has vanished. Newly promoted teams are gambling their future TV money vs relegation, which is dangerous of course for obvious reasons.

Club said it itself though. It can't afford to go down and take another hit. With that in mind surely you'd reinvest a decent chunk of the profits, even more so after promising exactly that.

Worst part is what I've already said. When the inevitable happens again. We'll get, mistakes were made. The issues fall at my door. I'm not an Arab Sheikh and so forth. Except this time Benitez is all but gone and the fan revolt is already underway.

Kevin Keegan departing was one Backlash. The departure of Benitez though is something Ashley will absolutely not recover from.

Carth 04-08-2018 10:07

There are a great many players out there who are worth nowhere near their asking price . . and some who are worth a lot more.
Where do you, as a supporter, think the team needs strengthening, and who would you approach to fill the gaps?

I'll give you 80 million ;)

adzii_nufc 04-08-2018 13:55

Honestly think we'd get away with spending 80 million on four players.

I'd be looking at Paco Alcacer right now. The lack of goals should be plugged by that. A second striker and a midfielder. Baring in mind that's with the signings we already made like Kenedy.

That should be enough for progression rather than survival. The current team survived but we're not matching the other survivors in strength. Leaving Benitez to pull another rabbit out of the hat.

Sadly we'll be signing someone more like Joselu than an Alcacer :D

adzii_nufc 05-08-2018 10:24

Strangely enough, Newcastle sanction three more signings, presumably that doesn't include Rondon who is expected to sign by tomorrow.

Seems a bit weird for the club to publicly announce this but I expect it was a public response to Rafa's very public outburst.

Again I expect Newcastle United are going into the season with the expectation of being sold by Christmas and hopefully it actually comes off this time.

adzii_nufc 05-08-2018 18:22

Rondon at Newcastle for a medical. Gayle at West Brom

Reports that Newcastle players are refusing to do media duties amid a bonus dispute are seemingly being confirmed as true. Just what we need. Cracking job Mike. Edit: Now confirmed as true.

denphone 06-08-2018 04:46

Jose Mourinho getting his excuses in early l see..:D

https://www.theguardian.com/football...unich-friendly