Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Brexit (Old) (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33706539)

Hugh 18-03-2019 21:31

Re: Brexit

Quote:

Dr Liam Fox MP
@LiamFox

BREAKING: Our negotiators have just initialled a trade agreement with Iceland & Norway for the European Economic Area. This is the 2nd biggest agreement we're rolling over and trade with EEA is worth nearly £30bn. This is on top of the agreement we’ve signed with Liechtenstein.

19:08 18/03/2019 Twitter for iPhone
Not Liechtenstein! What next - Vatican City?

Sometimes it hard to tell the parody accounts from the real ones...

Liechtenstein - population 28k (slightly more than the Leeds Council ward I live in)
Iceland - population 340k (slightly more than the population of Wakefield)

(btw, the Norway/Iceland deal is a roll-over/continuation of the deal the EU negotiated, so well done for what, exactly? Getting what we had before?).

jfman 18-03-2019 21:52

When do we get the unicorn?

ianch99 18-03-2019 22:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35987428)
Because he's a simple deluded fool ?

No, because he is at least £7 million to the better since Brexit day thanks to his Dublin based investment funds.

1andrew1 18-03-2019 22:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35987426)
Why do you think Jacob Rees-Mogg has that smug expression on his face?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35987431)
He's made £7m since Brexit vote. I would be grinning like that for just a fraction of his good fortune.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 35987464)
No, because he is at least £7 million to the better since Brexit day thanks to his Dublin based investment funds.

Snap! :D

Damien 18-03-2019 22:42

Not to defend him or anything but the numbers of him making £7 million are a bit dubious.

1andrew1 18-03-2019 22:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35987467)
Not to defend him or anything but the numbers of him making £7 million are a bit dubious.

If something's dubious, it should be called out. And you've done so in this thread and recently in the global-warming thread and doubtless many others.

But in this case, the calculations come from the renowned Channel 4 Dispatches Team. And thanks to UK disclosure rules, the original documents can be viewed easily and at no cost.
https://www.channel4.com/press/news/...ndum-according
https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/c...filing-history

nomadking 19-03-2019 00:25

The company itself doesn't really have investments(less than £50,000). It advises and manages investments for OTHERS. It's income comes from fees, and as such regardless of the outcome(profit or loss) of their investment advice or management, they earn fees. If any of their advice yields a profit, then the only real outcome is an increase in their reputation.

Hugh 19-03-2019 07:51

So, no matter if the client wins or loses, they make money...

He still made £7 million.

Chris 19-03-2019 07:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35987483)

The insinuation was that he has profited from uncertainty, or that he profited from investing in the EU, or both. The first is incorrect and the second is irrelevant. JRM has never called for sanctions against the EU, he has simply argued that the UK is better off not being a member of it.

But he went to a public school and talks posh so he’s a soft target for straw man arguments like this.

mrmistoffelees 19-03-2019 08:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35987486)
The insinuation was that he has profited from uncertainty, or that he profited from investing in the EU, or both. The first is incorrect and the second is irrelevant. JRM has never called for sanctions against the EU, he has simply argued that the UK is better off not being a member of it.

But he went to a public school and talks posh so he’s a soft target for straw man arguments like this.

The 1st is not incorrect at all, as the pound has fallen in value since the referendum, and as SCM is a heavy investor in developing markets. this will have helped profits increase (for obvious reasons)

He's a soft target because he's a nasty piece of work.. his voting record on things such as benefit increases pays homage to this

oh, and this

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...acob-rees-mogg

1andrew1 19-03-2019 08:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35987483)

Aren't they usually 2 and 20 ie 2% fund management and 20% of any gains?

---------- Post added at 08:10 ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35987486)

Wrong, we're explaining why he's happy.

Mick 19-03-2019 08:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35987446)
Clue, I count calling a motion of "no confidence" for TM, and having their own "Star Chamber" of lawyers as playing games.

I don’t because it isn’t. So stop it with this silly argument.

---------- Post added at 08:21 ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35987491)
Aren't they usually 2 and 20 ie 2% fund management and 20% of any gains?

---------- Post added at 08:10 ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 ----------

Wrong, we're explaining why he's happy.

You haven’t explained anything of the sort and Chris isn’t wrong actually, this is a strawman argument. Time to move on with the immature and pathetic character assassinations just because they are Brexiteers. :rolleyes:

Hugh 19-03-2019 09:58

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35985608)
Thanks for the clarification - I should have mentioned that point.

I’m acting on the side of caution, as I think it’s likely there will be a no-deal, as the ERG/DUP’s views on the backstop differ drastically from the EU’s, so I am avoiding the rush (if no-deal goes thru), so I applied online today and sent my passport by Special Delivery to the Passport Office - when we did my wife’s passport last year, it was back within a week.

Worst case scenario (after a no-deal Brexit) is I lose 5 months of passport duration - no biggie...

Just got my new passport delivered - excellent service, 8 working days from application to delivery.

papa smurf 19-03-2019 10:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35987505)
Just got my new passport delivered - excellent service, 8 working days from application to delivery.

That's because no one wants to leave the uk so passport offices have nothing to do.

Mick 19-03-2019 10:56

I gave an instruction earlier to get back on topic / move on. So why I have just had to delete two posts going on about him after my request ?

How JRM legitimately earned his millions is not the topic.

There seem to be issues posting in this thread. I’m putting it down to it’s sheer size and posts. Posting in other threads seems fine. So I’m closing this one now, I have started another.