Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Film & Cinema (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Rate the last movie you saw (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=37399)

Stuart 25-05-2009 18:46

re: Rate the last movie you saw

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xaccers (Post 34795565)
It's the best Trek film ever released. 15/10
Finally they've beaten the curse of the odd numbers!

In fairness, as someone pointed out on the Star Trek films blu ray box set, the talk of the odd number curse came about when Nicholas Meyer and Harve Bennet were working on the Even numbered ones. They wrote and/or directed/produced "The Wrath Of Kahn", "The Voyage Home" (which wasn't apparently liked by a lot of trekkies, but loved by mainstream audiences) and "The Undiscovered Country".

Stephen 25-05-2009 20:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mal (Post 34801433)
TNG - The Next Generation. I know that I sound like a nerd, but part 5 was with Kirk ;)

I know this as I am a big trekkie and geek but I meant I like all the films apart from 5. I wasn't just refering to the TNG movies.

CHiLL 25-05-2009 21:00

Angels and Demons - I thought it was a great film. I haven't read the book, but found the film thoroughly enjoyable. 8/10

Star Trek - I didn't think I'd like this film - but how wrong was I? Really enjoyed it. 8/10

admars 26-05-2009 07:30

Star Trek, missus and I loved it 10/10, glad it lived up to hype and expectations.

Angua 26-05-2009 08:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by admars (Post 34802156)
Star Trek, missus and I loved it 10/10, glad it lived up to hype and expectations.

Same here... :tu: Even better for those of us who watched the original series, :D

admars 29-05-2009 18:03

The missus and I saw Sam Raimi's Drag Me to Hell this afternoon, both enjoyed it, It's pretty good 7/10.

it's very obviously a Sam Raimi horror film, so if you like Evil Dead you'll like this, it's kind of Exorcist meets Evils Dead Happy

Some nice ott gruesome bits, which then make you laugh due to other people's reactions etc.

The other thing I liked which was noticeable is that it's good to see a "horror" film with a proper orchestral score, very much like classic horror films, rather than just using some industrial/alternative/heavy metal.

Tezcatlipoca 31-05-2009 02:09

I definitely want to see that - I love Raimi's horror movies.

My latest movie was one I unintentionally watched:

First Daughter

Mrs D had this on earlier, in the afternoon.

Predictable run-of-the-mill crap, starring Katie Holmes as the President's daughter, and "Riley from Buffy" as the undercover Secret Service agent she falls in love with.

Meh / 10

Hugh 31-05-2009 14:01

Hellboy II - 6.5/10

Will21st 31-05-2009 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D (Post 34805134)
I definitely want to see that - I love Raimi's horror movies.

My latest movie was one I unintentionally watched:

First Daughter

Mrs D had this on earlier, in the afternoon.

Predictable run-of-the-mill crap, starring Katie Holmes as the President's daughter, and "Riley from Buffy" as the undercover Secret Service agent she falls in love with.

Meh / 10

Sounds like a proper chick flick,hence Meh/10 :D

HOWEVER..... directed by Forest Whitaker!! :shocked:

CHiLL 04-06-2009 00:09

Star Trek - I have never been a Trekkie, but I really enjoyed watching that film. 9/10.

Night at the Museam 2 - I enjoyed the first, and thoroughly enjoyed the second. 9/10.

Xaccers 04-06-2009 03:44

Terminator Salvation - 6/10
So many plot holes, so much bad acting.
So much potential, wasted.
Seriously, it could have been a 10/10 film, but the details of the story and poor acting (someone please give Bale some lessons) let it down.
Great effects though, the Arnie scenes were well done.

admars 04-06-2009 07:24

Night at the Museum (1st one) recorded at the weekend from ch4, hadn't seen it before, missus and I both enjoyed it, funnier than we thought it would be 7/10.

If Ricky Gervais had been in it much more would have been 2/10! We love the Office and Extras, but wish Hollywood didn't have this obsession with crowbarring "the quirky wacky English funny guy" into films :(

xpod 04-06-2009 11:55

Red Cliff 1 & 2.
9/10

zing_deleted 04-06-2009 11:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by xpod (Post 34807842)
Red Cliff 1 & 2.
9/10

I just got them also. Seeing as 1 is only just being advertised but is actually 2008. Didnt get a big release though but your score is promising.

xpod 04-06-2009 13:38

Quote:

I just got them also. Seeing as 1 is only just being advertised but is actually 2008. Didnt get a big release though but your score is promising.
Your score may well differ from mine.....although i`m sure it wont be too far off.It`s a ripping good yarn for sure.Probably better watched over a couple of days rather than the whole 5 hours or so in one sitting though.
5 hours is a bit much for any movie in one go.Plus,the anticipation of the whupping to come adds to the enjoyment,and mabey even the score;)