Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Film & Cinema (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Rate the last movie you saw (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=37399)

Kymmy 23-03-2009 20:43

re: Rate the last movie you saw

Gran torino - 9/10
Pity it's probably the last great Clint Eastwood film he'll make

Valkyrie - 9/10
About time they made a historical film that actually followed the original plot ;)

iFrankie 24-03-2009 16:35

i watched twilight last night and im gonna give it a 10/10 its just amazing! i also watch the boy with the striped pajamas ill give that 9/10 such a sad film

zing_deleted 26-03-2009 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie07 (Post 34761228)
i watched twilight last night and im gonna give it a 10/10 its just amazing! i also watch the boy with the striped pajamas ill give that 9/10 such a sad film

are you female????

Russ 26-03-2009 20:36

How to Lose Friends and Alienate People - 7/10

Pretty standard 'quirky/nerdy Brit in America' stuff.

Stephen 27-03-2009 01:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie07 (Post 34761228)

I'll agree with Boy in the striped pajamas being a great film but Twilight was terrible!!

Even my female friend that watched it with me thought it was boring and rather rubbish would only give it 1/10

Damien 27-03-2009 20:02

W. 5/10

Poor and disappointing. It never went anywhere and just seemed to be a rambling historical biography, no pace, no point, no decent conclusion.

budwieser 27-03-2009 22:28

Knowing. Thought it was really good.
If you liked the day the earth stood still you`ll like this.
It`s a bit of a modern day bible story i suppose. 8/10.

Anonymouse 28-03-2009 00:19

The Dark Knight, albeit via DVD. Heath Ledger was indeed superb, playing the Joker as he should be played, i.e. totally off the rails, a mind running like a fully-loaded bullet train with absolutely no brakes yet you can't be sure he's actually insane and not just unspeakably evil. The 60s version was fun, but I really wish someone would reimagine the whole series as Bob Kane originally wrote it, as Christopher Nolan did for this film.

One touch I wasn't keen on, though, was the idea of Batman taking on murder raps - okay, they couldn't sully Dent's memory and all, but still. Except for the very earliest strips (later retconned, I think), Batman's one inflexible rule was: I Do Not Carry Weapons Or Kill People. Ever. In fact, the first episode of the (excellent) animated series Batman of the Future hammered this home by showing in prologue why the original Batman retired: during a fight he forgot himself for a moment and picked up a gun. On realising this, he said "Never again" and quit that very night, thus setting the stage for young Terry McGinnis to step in 20 years later...by which time Gotham had pretty much gone to hell.

Actually, doing that as a live-action series wouldn't be a bad idea.

Mick 28-03-2009 14:12

Knowing. 8/10 It would have got a 10 - just that there are some aspects within the film that are not explained.

chris9991 28-03-2009 17:04

The Damned United 8/10

Fairly good football film; possibly the best ever football film

Knowing 7/10

Not too bad a movie; very dramatic with big set pieces. Certainly agree that it has similarities with the remade Day the Earth Stood Still and the 1950s version of The War of the Worlds

kingbuxton 28-03-2009 22:16

Quote:

Heath Ledger was indeed superb, playing the Joker as he should be played
Trouble I had with that is that nobody has seen "Lords Of Dogtown" his Joker is just Skip mixed with Nicholsons Joker. Don't get me wrong, I liked the film, and he is good in it, but the fact he died sealed the deal with that film. Great film, I will buy it, still overated though.

The Cotton Club, I liked it, flawed I guess and not exactly historically accurate, but got a lot going for it, looks and sounds amazing. Oh, and Diane Lane is basically perfect. 7/10

Stoned, had it ages, not watched it in a while. Again, not sure how accurate it is, absolutely love it. 8/10

Russ 02-04-2009 18:59

The Damned United - 6/10

Bit of a disappointment as it didn't really go anywhere. I'd have preferred it if they'd done a biopic on Clough's life, not just over a 5 year period.

Saying that though, yet again Sheen was excellent.

cimt 02-04-2009 19:23

5 years? I thought it was over 2 months?

Russ 02-04-2009 19:25

About 3 quarters of it was based on his 44 days at Leeds but it kept going back to his time at Derby in 1969 to explain his hatred of Don Revie.

CycoSymz 03-04-2009 18:05

American Hardcore - 9/10 Really liked this documentary about the 80's hardcore punk scene, it gave a great insight into some of my favourite bands.