Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Film & Cinema (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Rate the last movie you saw (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=37399)

Saaf_laandon_mo 03-03-2009 13:45

re: Rate the last movie you saw

Cloverfield..... I thought this was pretty good. 8 out of 10.

Russ 03-03-2009 14:31

Did you spot the object in the background falling in to the sea in the last few frames?

ZrByte 03-03-2009 19:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ B (Post 34744198)
Did you spot the object in the background falling in to the sea in the last few frames?

I heard about this but I just can't see it.

Peter_ 03-03-2009 19:46

Quote:

I thought it was the director having a dump considering how bad Cloverfield was:D and I saw it in a cinema.

xocemp 03-03-2009 20:24

Valkyrie 4/10.. it was terrible. Not even a poor attempt at a German accent, Tom Truise being Tom Cruise. hi, I'm tom cruise the nazi now wheres my f-14 tomcat and iceman?
Stauffenberg was much better.

zing_deleted 03-03-2009 20:29

none of them had accents that was how they did it. WHat you linked to was just a documentary. Would you not also complain if they had german accents but spoke English ? like they did that ;)

Russ 03-03-2009 20:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZrByte (Post 34744396)
I heard about this but I just can't see it.

It takes a few goes to spot it but once you do you see it each time, it hits the water a few 'millimeters' below the horizon and comes from an almost vertical drop.

Tezcatlipoca 03-03-2009 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by zinglebarb (Post 34744440)
none of them had accents that was how they did it. WHat you linked to was just a documentary. Would you not also complain if they had german accents but spoke English ? like they did that ;)

I think they should have used 'Allo 'Allo style accents, to be properly authentic.

zing_deleted 03-03-2009 20:57

The movie started in German and then phased into English I found it quite adequate and really enjoyed the movie :) . I would certainly have rather seen Daniel Craig in Defiance speak as himself than his epic fail of keeping an accent but that did not spoil the film for me and found that excellent

xocemp 03-03-2009 21:04

Which would mean we are all entitled to our opinion and though mine differs from yours I'll resist the temptation to retort. Each to their own as is said. :)

Saaf_laandon_mo 04-03-2009 18:09

Quote:

didnt it end with them under the bridge? And it all went dark?

Fatec 04-03-2009 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saaf_laandon_mo (Post 34744165)
Cloverfield..... I thought this was pretty good. 8 out of 10.

Am i the only one who felt physically sick watching that?

Soo many fast/blurry camera movements.

Russ 04-03-2009 22:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saaf_laandon_mo (Post 34744988)
didnt it end with them under the bridge? And it all went dark?

Nooo! A few moments after that it cut back to the video the recorded over of the 2 of them six weeks earlier on a giant wheel in a fairground. The camera points out to sea for a few seconds and you see something hit the water.

This suggests that the monster was an alien and that's when it came to Earth.

Tezcatlipoca 04-03-2009 22:12

That was meant to be a falling satellite, not the monster.

---------- Post added at 22:12 ---------- Previous post was at 22:10 ----------

Hang on...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloverfield

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The film cuts to Rob and Beth's Coney Island date many days before they meet again at the start of the party where in the background an Tagruato satellite can be seen falling from the sky and landing in the ocean.

(snip)

Viral tie-ins

As part of the viral marketing campaign, the drink Slusho! has served as a tie-in. The drink had already appeared in producer Abrams' previous creation, the TV series Alias.[39] Viral websites for Slusho! and a Japanese drilling company named Tagruato (タグルアト ,Taguruato?) were launched to add to the mythology of Cloverfield. A building bearing the company logo for Tagruato can also be seen in the TV spot of the eleventh Star Trek film, another Abrams production.[5] When Cloverfield was hosted at Comic-Con 2007, gray Slusho! T-shirts were distributed to attendees.[40] Fans who had registered at the Slusho! website for Cloverfield received e-mails of fictional sonar images before the film's release that showed a deep-sea creature heading toward Manhattan.

Satellite crashes > disturbs deep sea monster. Something like that...

Saaf_laandon_mo 05-03-2009 16:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt D (Post 34745232)
That was meant to be a falling satellite, not the monster.

---------- Post added at 22:12 ---------- Previous post was at 22:10 ----------

Hang on...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloverfield

Satellite crashes > disturbs deep sea monster. Something like that...

Yep, I spoke to my wife last night, she had spent a while during the day on the net investigating the object. The opinion she got too was that it was the satellite hitting the sea, and causing the monster to wake up.

She also mentioned directions the prequel/sequel will take. One theme would be events leading to the crashing of the satellite, another the attack from the viewpoint of the army, and how they battled it.