Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Is supermarket fuel good enough? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33676158)

Halcyon 24-03-2011 22:04

Is supermarket fuel good enough?

I fill my car with Petrol at Tesco and some people have been saying that every so often I should fill up at a station such as Shell, BP, Texaaco, etc as the fuel is better and it is good to give your engine some better quality fuel.

How true is this?

Is the higher octane stuff such as that offered by Shell any better for the engine and prolonging my cars life?

Thanks,

halcyon.

Paul 24-03-2011 22:08

Re: Is supermarket fuel good enough?

Sounds like complete bull to me.

Peter_ 24-03-2011 22:09

If I remember correctly the fuel supermarkets buy is no different from Shell, Esso or Texaco as they buy the cheapest on offer and use their own tankers.

The High quality fuel is supposed to be more beneficial for use in high performance vehicles but considering the price difference I would stick with standard fuel as with everyone else.

More answers here.http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question...7021537AA9SNSx

martyh 24-03-2011 22:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halcyon (Post 35198977)
I fill my car with Petrol at Tesco and some people have been saying that every so often I should fill up at a station such as Shell, BP, Texaaco, etc as the fuel is better and it is good to give your engine some better quality fuel.

How true is this?

Is the higher octane stuff such as that offered by Shell any better for the engine and prolonging my cars life?

Thanks,

halcyon.

I have been told the same thing by a mechanic , i use diesel and use a diesel additive which does improve performance in my van .As for using named brands then yes i would agree that they are better quality and since supermarket fuel is priced the same (shell is actually cheeper at the moment near me i use shell and don't need the additive

Halcyon 24-03-2011 22:12

Thanks. I definately think I'l stick with supermarkets then if it makes no difference.
It's a lot cheaper than the other petrol stations.

Arthurgray50@blu 24-03-2011 22:12

I have never so much crap in my life, I buy fuel from various garages, including supermarkets.

Its like saying, don't take a rolls to Tesco's as they do a better fuel than if l took a Ford to Shell.

Osem 24-03-2011 22:17

I saw an old Fifth Gear episode today in which they compared BP Ultimate, Shell Optimax and regular supermarket unleaded. They tested each fuel on each of 3 cars (a family runaround, a mid range car and a high powered model) under controlled conditions and found the higher priced fuels made no difference to performance in the low spec car but did make a significant improvement to power output and torque in the higher powered cars.

Halcyon 24-03-2011 22:27

So by not having a high performance car (my little 1.25 Fiesta), it will be fine on the supermarket stuff then. Yay :)

martyh 24-03-2011 22:37

The main difference as far as i know is the additives that shell ,esso, texaco ,ect put in their fuel ,they all have a secret formula .Carbon build up on the piston heads is much less with premium fuels (especially with diesels)

There is however a "urban myth" that supermarket fuel is sold so cheap because it is close to its sell by date .I know that petrol does lose some of its octane power with storage but i wouldn't imagine fuel is stored that long so i have no idea as to the validity of this myth

Pauls9 25-03-2011 14:02

Would the occasional use of injector cleaner or other additive be of use in the average runabout?

Welshchris 25-03-2011 14:06

i dont think a runabout has that kind of injectors, they do have antimatter injectors tho..

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Danube_class

:-D

Pauls9 25-03-2011 14:11

Thanks mate :scratch:

:D

Hom3r 25-03-2011 17:20

I've been using supermarkets to get my fuel for at leat 15 years and have never had any problems.

I think it is just a ploy by the oil companies to scare you in buying from them.

Tali 25-03-2011 19:58

Petrol is petrol is petrol. I used to work in a supermarket petrol station and we used to buy our petrol from Texaco, Amoco and Total. It all comes out of the same pipe at the terminal. The supermarkets are able to charge a little less because they (well used to) market it as a loss leader.

Hom3r 25-03-2011 20:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tali (Post 35199474)
Petrol is petrol is petrol. I used to work in a supermarket petrol station and we used to buy our petrol from Texaco, Amoco and Total. It all comes out of the same pipe at the terminal. The supermarkets are able to charge a little less because they (well used to) market it as a loss leader.

I heard that some garages make more money from the goods in their shop than the fuel.