Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Freesat & Freeview (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   Sky to make cricket World Cup final free-to-air - if England make it (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707847)

newapollo 05-07-2019 12:57

Sky to make cricket World Cup final free-to-air - if England make it

Sky will make the ICC Cricket World Cup final available on free-to-air television should England make it to the showpiece event at Lord's on 14 July.

Sky UK and Ireland Chief Executive Stephen van Rooyen said: "We are proud to be the broadcaster for a home Cricket World Cup - one of the world's biggest and most exciting sporting events.

"Our aim has always been to celebrate what could be a 'once in a generation' moment of a home team in a big final on home soil.

"So, if England reach the final, we will make the match available to everyone so the whole country can be part of a rare and special big sporting moment."

Lets hope England make it to the final so those without a Sky subscription can watch it. I reckon it would be shown on the Pick channel.

denphone 05-07-2019 13:08

Re: Sky to make cricket World Cup final free-to-air - if England make it

Excellent news.:tu:

Maggy 05-07-2019 13:38

I suspect we won't be watching it..

Mr K 05-07-2019 22:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 36001487)
I suspect we won't be watching it..

Defeatest ! As long as we don't draw India, Aus or NZ we should get through ;)

A few games have been on Sky Sports Mix anyway, which doesn't need a Sky Sports sub , plus highlights on C4/Sky 1. Some cricket (albeit a naff 100 ball version) coming back to the BBC TV too next year. Get the impression the cricket authorities have woken up to the fact that putting everything on Sky is killing the game. Even soccer has some live terrestrial coverage.

---------- Post added at 21:44 ---------- Previous post was at 21:42 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by newapollo (Post 36001480)
I reckon it would be shown on the Pick channel.

Sounds as though it would be C4, as they have been showing highlights.

newapollo 06-07-2019 02:45

Mr K
Quote:

Some.has been on Sky Sports Mix anyway
Which doesn't help those non Sky subscribers. If Sky are doing the right thing they will use Pick, not CH4 ( Sky's own channel, extra money from advertisers) . BUT, they may even decide to use the Sky website, or do a BT and use Youtube, OR heaven forbid offer it on NOWTV, none of witch won't be any use to those without/or with a slow broadband connection. My money is on England to reach the final, and the match to be on Pick. IMO It's a good advert for Sky, but I can't see them gaining too many extra subs from it. It's a PR exercise.

Mr K 06-07-2019 10:49

Quote:

.BBC sports editor Dan Roan said Sky were also in talks with Channel 4 over what would be an "unprecedented agreement".

"That would see the final being shown live via Channel 4, if England make the final, as well as on Sky's own YouTube channel and their TV channels," he added.

"A potential deal is complicated by Channel 4 having the live rights to the British Grand Prix on that Sunday - the only race they can show live in the season. But they do have their other free-to-air platform, More4, as an option.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/48881926

newapollo 06-07-2019 15:18

Thanks for that Mr K. I've just been looking at Freeview frequencies, and Pick is only available to 74% of homes, whereas More4 is available to 100%, so it seems more likely that Sky may do a deal with Ch4 to broadcast the final on More4 so they reach everybody https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/multiplexes

Media Boy UK 07-07-2019 22:05

I read The BBC and Channel 4 are in talks with Sky over this. The safe money is on Channel 4 winning the rights.

---------- Post added at 21:05 ---------- Previous post was at 21:03 ----------

*The Highlights is shown on Sky One and Channel 4.

Mr K 11-07-2019 20:06

Well the answer is a mixture of Channel 4 and More 4.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/48957255

Shame they have to mess about with the Channels to accommodate the few nerds that watch F1 ... Why you'd want to watch blokes going round and round getting no where and polluting the planet when the cricket world cup final is on is a mystery ;). Well done England btw :)

pip08456 11-07-2019 21:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36002188)
Well the answer is a mixture of Channel 4 and More 4.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/48957255

Shame they have to mess about with the Channels to accommodate the few nerds that watch F1 ... Why you'd want to watch blokes going round and round getting no where and polluting the planet when the cricket world cup final is on is a mystery ;). Well done England btw :)

I know which I'd rather watch and it isn't the cricket. How exciting, watch someone hit a ball with a bat.

denphone 11-07-2019 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36002197)
I know which I'd rather watch and it isn't the cricket. How exciting, watch someone hit a ball with a bat.

Its all in the eye of the beholder pip.;)

pip08456 11-07-2019 21:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36002198)
Its all in the eye of the beholder pip.;)

I agree Den.:)

Mr K 11-07-2019 21:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36002197)

First World Cup Final for England in 27 years old chap !. F1 you might as well set up a deckchair by the side of your local ring road, be more crashes/entertaining too ;)

denphone 11-07-2019 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36002200)
I agree Den.:)

Luckily we have a smaller second TV in the corner of the frontroom.:D

Mr K 11-07-2019 21:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36002206)
Luckily we have a smaller second TV in the corner of the frontroom.:D

And will it be cricket or F1 on the smaller TV? Please don't disappoint me Den ;)