Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=14837)

wakey 02-08-2004 10:13

Re: [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stop It
So its wrong? (what speed are you on btw? 600k or 150? :P) Im now confused and well, annoyed, I know its selfish, but if a NTL bod could post here, (Or pm me) when Biggleswade (and the area around it) Is set to be upgraded, I will give you a kitten, im off to work now, Heres hoping :p

on 600k service

robtufts 02-08-2004 10:17

Well in MK45 it tells me i'm not due to be upgraded until october, yet I rebooted my modem earlier and now im on 1.5mb :confused:

Lee 02-08-2004 10:17

No Update here in Kirklees yet, although postcode checker says August.

BBKing 02-08-2004 10:20

Because he doesn't mean STB, he means 'some kinds of SACM, including the Ambit'

The Samsung has a three-key combination to get the engineer's screens, same as the PACE, but I can't for the life of me remember how to do it (do everything remotely now, it's easier).

Lee 02-08-2004 10:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee
No Update here in Kirklees yet, although postcode checker says August.

Ok so I'm lying - the speed test shows 1.44Mb/s - but my cable modem config file has not changed (well the name hasnt anyway!)

Kneebs 02-08-2004 10:26

Well, Not only do I not have the upgrade (as far as I know....) but I have no internet at all !

Woke up this morning and decided I'd reset the STB anyway, just incase, and after rebooting it, the green light won't stay lit - it just flashes every now & again....

When I was on the phone to faults, there was a recorded message saying that there is a problem with interactive services, but the person I (eventually !!) spoke to in faults said that this is a different problem to the one I'm having....

The STB event log shows a Failed to register message, and also a Failed to lease an address with DHCP.

Enjoy your upgrades, some of us are stuck with 56kbps !!!!

PS, i'm on 1meg in Sunderland.

Jowep 02-08-2004 10:33

Sorry for the confusion! My post has been updated.

Chrysalis 02-08-2004 10:45

"When is the speed upgrade happening in my area?
Your service is due to be upgraded during the month of October."

its wrong im on 750kbit, so much for a postcode checker heh, I really feel for those who are not done and if it was me I would have demanded to be put on 1mbit tier for 600k price until completed.

j4y3m 02-08-2004 11:01

I just rebooted my cable modem and the upgrade has been done (Glasgow area).:D

I'm downloading now at about 90KB/s, that about right?

mt50 02-08-2004 11:03

i'm on 750k now.
stoke area btw

karlfoley 02-08-2004 11:10

The Colchester UBR has been reconfigured for the new speeds, heres the output from DocsDiag (I had to reboot manually :Yikes: ):

DocsDiag v030720 Copyright 2001-3 Robin Walker rdhw@cam.ac.uk

General Instrument SB3100 Cable Modem: Hardware version: 1; OS: VxWorks 5.3.1; Software version: 3.2.9p

System up time = 0 days 00h 03m 19.45s
Ethernet multiple-collision errs.1 = 46
Downstream channel ID = 1
Downstream channel frequency = 402750000 Hz
Downstream received signal power = -6.2 dBmV
Upstream channel ID = 3
Upstream channel frequency = 25584000 Hz
QoS max upstream bandwidth = 256000 bps
QoS max downstream bandwidth = 1536000 bps
SigQu: Signal to Noise Ratio = 33.0 dB
Cable modem status = Registration complete
Upstream transmit signal power = 44.0 dBmV
Date and Time = 2004-08-02,09:41:17.0+00:00
Configuration filename = mota4100-gold.cm

Derek 02-08-2004 11:19

Well Glasgow seems to have been done. I'm now running at the 1.5meg speed after a manual reboot.

orangebird 02-08-2004 11:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kneebs
Well, Not only do I not have the upgrade (as far as I know....) but I have no internet at all !

Woke up this morning and decided I'd reset the STB anyway, just incase, and after rebooting it, the green light won't stay lit - it just flashes every now & again....

When I was on the phone to faults, there was a recorded message saying that there is a problem with interactive services, but the person I (eventually !!) spoke to in faults said that this is a different problem to the one I'm having....

The STB event log shows a Failed to register message, and also a Failed to lease an address with DHCP.

Enjoy your upgrades, some of us are stuck with 56kbps !!!!

PS, i'm on 1meg in Sunderland.

Which STB do you have? If it's not a samsung one (silver), you won't get 1.5meg through your stb (so don't bother rebooting it on the offchance...), and you will be receiving a letter about getting your stb upgraded.....

j4y3m 02-08-2004 11:22

Quote:

NDO Bandwidth Speed test at www.speedtest.ndo.com

On Monday, 2nd August, 2004 Your bandwidth measured as:

760.40kbps

which means you can download at 95.05 KB/sec. from our servers.
:D I should be able to download at 90+ from most places then, that's a bigger improvment than I thought.

Kneebs 02-08-2004 11:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangebird
Which STB do you have? If it's not a samsung one (silver), you won't get 1.5meg through your stb (so don't bother rebooting it on the offchance...), and you will be receiving a letter about getting your stb upgraded.....

Sorry, I should've said - my old pace was swapped for the samsung a couple of weeks ago in readiness for all this. I did get the letter months ago..

I've just had a call from faults - they're arranging an engineer for this afternoon....so we shall see what happens.....

ian@huth 02-08-2004 11:32

A lot of customers, myself included, are having to reboot their cable modem in order to receive the upgraded speeds. As possibly 99% of customers don't know anything about the speed increases they will have to toddle along at the old speeds until something forces a reboot of the modem. Do NTL intend to inform all customers in some way (with their bill, possibly) of the increase in speed and advising them to reboot?

rustedfaith 02-08-2004 11:33

yeah baby!!! NG16, and all is flying!!! 90 - 95k a second...

NICE.

SOSAGES 02-08-2004 11:34

so i assume i have to go home and turn my modem off and on again and all will be well?

badnbusy 02-08-2004 11:36

www.dslzoneuk.net/speedtest.php has now been updated to accommodate the new speeds! Try it out

:D

SOSAGES 02-08-2004 11:43

well sod it - remote desktoped to home spare pc - entered modem config - hit restart - *hoping ip dont change* - trying to reconnect to ip - still trying -

ok im in - from cm logs.
Unit Update - Not updating. This image is not for this platform.
Unit Update Failed.

i assume that isnt expected?

also from the logs
Retrieved TFTP Config mota4100-gold.cm SUCCESS - is this the new file or same as old one?

BBKing 02-08-2004 11:44

Quote:

Do NTL intend to inform all customers in some way (with their bill, possibly) of the increase in speed and advising them to reboot?
[wakes up]

We are rebooting them, in stages. A lot of people are anticipating this by manually rebooting and seeing what happens and that's fine, but we can only do so many a night when there's 1.2m to get through.

I've just checked a colleague's modem and he wasn't updated last night. If he manually rebooted he might get the new speeds, but if he sits tight he'll be done later in the rollout, by the current schedule.

The schedule includes monitoring of numbers on the old speeds and a 'mopping up' operation is on the cards to pick up any strays.

Last night was only night 1 of a series.

Neil 02-08-2004 11:49

But have ntl made proactive moves to inform their customers as to the fact that they are upgrading their modem speeds.....?

Or are they relying on sites like this to inform them? :rolleyes:

ian@huth 02-08-2004 11:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBKing
[wakes up]

We are rebooting them, in stages. A lot of people are anticipating this by manually rebooting and seeing what happens and that's fine, but we can only do so many a night when there's 1.2m to get through.

I've just checked a colleague's modem and he wasn't updated last night. If he manually rebooted he might get the new speeds, but if he sits tight he'll be done later in the rollout, by the current schedule.

The schedule includes monitoring of numbers on the old speeds and a 'mopping up' operation is on the cards to pick up any strays.

Last night was only night 1 of a series.

Thanks for that BBK. Knowing more about what is going on helps to prevent the impatient ones from running around like headless chickens looking for the bag of compensation corn. :D

cymap1 02-08-2004 11:53

Rebooted and I am 1.5 in Stoke. Its nice to be positive about NTL for once

ian@huth 02-08-2004 11:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil
But have ntl made proactive moves to inform their customers as to the fact that they are upgrading their modem speeds.....?

I would imagine most customers do not know (or even care) about the speed increases. It is good to know that NTL are taking steps to mop up the ones that miss the net. :)

SOSAGES 02-08-2004 11:58

im sure i had a letter telling me prices were going up and they were putting the speeds up at the same time..

j4y3m 02-08-2004 12:03

I think I can recall getting one too... maybe not.

qasdfdsaq 02-08-2004 12:03

Quote:

Your service is due to be upgraded during the month of November.
Really? Its November already? (Got upgraded this morning)... Cambridge, CB1

And just to annoy everybody,

Quote:

Mon, 02 Aug 2004 10:43:10 +0000
1st 128K took 11 ms = 11915636 Bytes/sec = approx 99138 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 12 ms = 10922667 Bytes/sec = approx 90877 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 16 ms = 8192000 Bytes/sec = approx 68157 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 12 ms = 10922667 Bytes/sec = approx 90877 kbits/sec

These results appear to be rather fast: maybe this page was in the browser cache.
No, wasn't cached. Thats my real bandwidth. (Not through NTL's 750K service, mind you, but if it were... :angel: )

P.S. If NTL can provide 300/750/1500K speeds to 1.2 million subscribers, how come they cant provide more than what appears to be 56k to their email server(s)?? :shocked:

paulyoung666 02-08-2004 12:08

hi and :welcome: to the site qasdfdsaq , show us it without the ' These results appear to be rather fast: maybe this page was in the browser cache. ' line then , not that i dont believe you or anything :D :D :D :D

bigitup_j 02-08-2004 12:12

i suppose i better wait then...

still 150k (speeds around 180k) :(

...hhmmmmmm
:)

beardsley 02-08-2004 12:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janusian
Postcode checker is working again now

http://www.ntl.com/home/internet/upgrade/checker.asp

Unfortunately Fleet not due to be done until October :td:

Fleet was done last night (or at least mine was).
:)

td444 02-08-2004 12:16

Clearly the new traffic load is taking its toll on the routing platform - some reason some of my traffic is going to Manchester then London :S

I'm wayyyy too fussy...

SOSAGES 02-08-2004 12:16

anyone in the bracknell area have any luck?

*When is the speed upgrade happening in my area?

Your service is due to be upgraded during the month of October.*

bah

altis 02-08-2004 12:17

2 Attachment(s)
Nothing changed here 'til I rebooted my modem.

McMav 02-08-2004 12:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by SOSAGES
anyone in the bracknell area have any luck?

*When is the speed upgrade happening in my area?

Your service is due to be upgraded during the month of October.*

bah

Ha thats nothing try November here.

Useless asswipes. Already months behind BY and when they ddo start to release it their networks still aint up to it.

:td:

mcmanic 02-08-2004 12:26

speed increase here ,1meg to 1.5meg

but averages out at 1.41Mbps/180.6KBps

sussex

didn't have to reboot either
standalone cable

orangebird 02-08-2004 12:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by McMav
Ha thats nothing try November here.

Useless asswipes. Already months behind BY and when they ddo start to release it their networks still aint up to it.

:td:

??????????? They've got 1.2m services to upgrade - FOR FREE no less. I don't see why you feel the need to call them asswipes because of that?? :rolleyes:

qasdfdsaq 02-08-2004 12:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulyoung666
hi and :welcome: to the site qasdfdsaq , show us it without the ' These results appear to be rather fast: maybe this page was in the browser cache. ' line then , not that i dont believe you or anything :D :D :D :D

If it were cached, it would take 0ms not 12ms... Something called University LAN and a pretty fat pipe... I really should try online gaming here, pings to jolt and bbc come out at around 3.8ms avg :Yikes:

Why oh why cant we get 100mbit/s cable modems?

td444 02-08-2004 12:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq
If it were cached, it would take 0ms not 12ms... Something called University LAN and a pretty fat pipe... I really should try online gaming here, pings to jolt and bbc come out at around 3.8ms avg :Yikes:

Why oh why cant we get 100mbit/s cable modems?

Because HFC (hybrid fibre coax systems) are in place - which seriously dont have enough bandwidth for that sort of speeds.

The only time we'll see speeds like that is when Fibre To The Door + Cisco DWDM + Cheaper overall transit costs come into the equation.

McMav 02-08-2004 12:42

Quote:

??????????? They've got 1.2m services to upgrade - FOR FREE no less. I don't see why you feel the need to call them asswipes because of that?? :rolleyes:

Yup They have supposedly been upgrading infrastructure since by said they were upgrading their users. NTL are already months behind BY and now I have another 4 months to wait. so if I wanna call them asswipes I will.

orangebird 02-08-2004 12:43

Quote:

Yup They have supposedly been upgrading infrastructure since by said they were upgrading their users. NTL are already months behind BY and now I have another 4 months to wait. so if I wanna call them asswipes I will.

You win - I cannot compete with your level of intelligence and rationale.... :rolleyes:

Stuart 02-08-2004 12:46

Quote:

Two things:

1) You are assuming the postcode checker is correct, which, in a lot of cases, it doesn't seem to be..

2) Do you KNOW that Telewest have upgraded all their customer connections? And, how long it took? I shouldn't think for a second that they did it all in one go.

qasdfdsaq 02-08-2004 12:48

Do note that NTL says upgrades will be starting in August... I dont see how anyone can upgrade 1,200,000 users in 24 hours! Plus, compare BT upgrading their exchanges to enable DSL...

McMav 02-08-2004 12:50

From what I read BY increased users the day they announced the increase ie they were ready to do the increase b4 announcing it. I accept that have less subscribers than ntl but they were smart and had the structure in place b4 upgrading.

Perhaps ntl should have had a similar approach. Have the structure in place for all users and implement it at once rather than this bitty release.

Well seeing the August release was only semi correct when they announced it. Thought advertising it as a free upgrade and you might get it in august or you might have to wait for another 3-4 months wouldnt have looked as good.

McMav 02-08-2004 12:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq
Do note that NTL says upgrades will be starting in August... I dont see how anyone can upgrade 1,200,000 users in 24 hours! Plus, compare BT upgrading their exchanges to enable DSL...

ok agreed maybe not in 24 hours but 4 months come on thats taking the mikey. Lets face it they only have to send a config file down the line to your modem.

sav112 02-08-2004 12:52

Well Glasgow has been done Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢m downloading at 280KBS, but I knew when I came on as the net just burst from page to page with all the pictures. Browsing looks to be so much better, Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢ll have to try a download instead of the two tests I ran which are Dans and the one below.

Mon, 2 Aug 2004 11:48:36 UTC1st 128K took 3594 ms = 36470 Bytes/sec = approx 303 kbits/sec2nd 128K took 3641 ms = 35999 Bytes/sec = approx 300 kbits/sec3rd 128K took 3718 ms = 35253 Bytes/sec = approx 293 kbits/sec4th 128K took 3610 ms = 36308 Bytes/sec = approx 302 kbits/sec Happy days.:cool:

Neil 02-08-2004 12:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by scastle
Do you KNOW that Telewest have upgraded all their customer connections? And, how long it took? I shouldn't think for a second that they did it all in one go.

A very valid point, & one that I too have raised & queried before, but I so far have not yet had an answer as to why it is taking ntl soooo much longer.....

j4y3m 02-08-2004 12:54

Quote:

It said November for me too but my upgrade has already been done.

orangebird 02-08-2004 12:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by j4y3m

Sometimes it's safer to under promise and over deliver......

qasdfdsaq 02-08-2004 12:56

Quote:

Exactly - Many areas which claim upgrade dates to be October/November, etc have already been upgraded, including mine (November). Who knows, you might be done tomorrow.

McMav 02-08-2004 12:57

Quote:

I'll reboot tonight when I get home if it comes through I will apologise for calling them asswipes for listing my upgrade as novemeber and call them asswipes for failing to code their postcode checker properly :)

quadplay 02-08-2004 13:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil

:rolleyes:

Yes. There are now adverts on ntlworld.com, there will be IVR messages on appropriate telephone lines, and there will be inserts with bills.

SOSAGES 02-08-2004 13:03

well if anyone on the winersh section of ntls network gets the speed upgrade let me know :)

pallys 02-08-2004 13:10

I was upgraded overnight in Leicester 150k to 300k now.

kronas 02-08-2004 13:15

Mon, 2 Aug 2004 12:11:30 UTC
1st 128K took 703 ms = 186447 Bytes/sec = approx 1551 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 782 ms = 167611 Bytes/sec = approx 1395 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 703 ms = 186447 Bytes/sec = approx 1551 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 703 ms = 186447 Bytes/sec = approx 1551 kbits/sec

woooot :D

Stuart 02-08-2004 13:33

Quote:

ok agreed maybe not in 24 hours but 4 months come on thats taking the mikey. Lets face it they only have to send a config file down the line to your modem.

I am sure one of the NTL techys here will correct me if I am wrong, but it's actually a little more involved than sending a config file to your modem. That is the last step in a long process.

For a start, they need to ensure the network in each area is upgraded to ensure it can take the extra load. This may involve many things including installing new cards in the UBRs and may take a long time. It would be pointless promising everyone the speeds only to find that everyone switches on, and the network slows to the speed of a 56K modem under the strain.

Second, if there are any users in your area connecting to the internet via a 1 Meg connection on a Pace 1000 or 2000 STB, then these need to be upgraded. Depending on how many Pace STBs that need to be replaced, this can also take a long time.

Then, they need to ensure adequate supplies of both STBs and SACMs in each areas, as upgrading always seems to cause some to fail.

Finally, they introduce the upgrades area by area (well, several areas each night). This is because, as is discussed earlier in the thread, if something happens during the upgrade and there is a problem, it's better that that problem only affects people in one area rather than across the country.

And, as OB said, would you rather they promised the speed in August and delivered in September, or that they had promised the speed in November and delivered in September? It's better for them to promise the service later then deliver it earlier rather than the other way around.

McMav 02-08-2004 13:43

I'd rather they specified a time and delivered ontime. Rather than this drizzle effect.

jem16 02-08-2004 13:47

Quote:

well if anyone on the winersh section of ntls network gets the speed upgrade let me know :)

I read on ntl's newsgroup that Winnersh had been upgraded.

orangebird 02-08-2004 13:48

Quote:

I'd rather they specified a time and delivered ontime. Rather than this drizzle effect.

So do ntl. But they get too much flack as it is...they can't specify dates and times etc. With so many customers, and lack of a crytsal ball to forsee possible problems which would result in a delay in delivery, it's impossible...

poolking 02-08-2004 13:49

Quote:

It is plain to see that you are not even listening to what others are saying and it seems you are totally oblivious to how many users have to be upgraded. So please knock it off.

homealone 02-08-2004 13:49

Quote:

I'll reboot tonight when I get home if it comes through I will apologise for calling them asswipes for listing my upgrade as novemeber and call them asswipes for failing to code their postcode checker properly :)

no-one deserves to be abused like that, I seriously considered a negative rep for that remark, but adding to the ignore list seems more appropriate - seeya :(

Mon, 2 Aug 2004 12:31:19 UTC
1st 128K took 1490 ms = 87968 Bytes/sec = approx 732 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 1430 ms = 91659 Bytes/sec = approx 763 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 1480 ms = 88562 Bytes/sec = approx 737 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 1430 ms = 91659 Bytes/sec = approx 763 kbits/sec

- I'm happy with that, thanks to everyone who made it possible :tu:

APS 02-08-2004 13:51

A while back someone said that similar speed increases would apply to NTL Business cable modem users. Although the domestic speed increases happened last night in this area, our Business modem is still stuck at the 1 MB rate, despite a reboot.

Can someone confirm we will get the upgrade and perhaps give a timescale please?

APS

MagicMan 02-08-2004 13:54

Hey all

I'm getting installed tomorrow - does that mean that I'll be getting 750kbps rather than 600 straight away? ;)

Cheers

Lee 02-08-2004 13:54

Quote:

well sod it - remote desktoped to home spare pc - entered modem config - hit restart - *hoping ip dont change* - trying to reconnect to ip - still trying -

ok im in - from cm logs.
Unit Update - Not updating. This image is not for this platform.
Unit Update Failed.

i assume that isnt expected?

also from the logs
Retrieved TFTP Config mota4100-gold.cm SUCCESS - is this the new file or same as old one?

Thats exactly the file I have... name hasnt changed, but the speed has :D

paulyoung666 02-08-2004 13:55

hi and :welcome: to the site magicman , dont see why not , depending on where you live of course :)

Stuart 02-08-2004 13:58

Quote:

They have specified a sort of time, and at the moment, it sounds like they are delivering.

As explained above, the "drizzle" effect as you call it is necessary to ensure that if anything goes wrong, it does not take out a large chunk of the network. Ask AT&T about the effect of doing a mass upgrade on the whole network*. NTL would stupid to attempt it.

*Basically, AT&T upgraded the software running their exchanges, but did it "en masse". This software had a fault that under certain circumstances would cause the exchange to crash, then reboot (during which time it could not accept calls). The fault spread, and within a few hours, half their phone network had crashed. This (on its own) cost billions of dollars to correct, then there were all the legal actions (which probably added another couple of billion). In all liklihood, if AT&T had upgraded area by area, the bug would have been discovered and fixed before it could do too much damage.

pmoody000 02-08-2004 14:00

Woke up this morning and tested my connection, looks like Dover in Kenthas been upgraded at last

Mon, 2 Aug 2004 12:59:30 UTC
1st 128K took 516 ms = 254016 Bytes/sec = approx 2113 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 718 ms = 182552 Bytes/sec = approx 1519 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 703 ms = 186447 Bytes/sec = approx 1551 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 704 ms = 186182 Bytes/sec = approx 1549 kbits/sec

So they must of finnished upgrading the ashford network.

MagicMan 02-08-2004 14:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulyoung666
hi and :welcome: to the site magicman , dont see why not , depending on where you live of course :)

Thanks for the welcome and I live in Manchester (which is one of the first upgrade areas I believe). I've been without my DSL connection for a few months and I'm itching to get back online. BTW I've asked for a 600k connection - what are my chances of getting a 1MB connection for my free trial (60 days) and then downgrade before they start charging me?? :cool:

tomaw 02-08-2004 14:07

Just this second happened here in Northants ;)

altis 02-08-2004 14:08

Can I just point out that it is not necessary to hammer the network to determine if you have been upgraded.

If you have an Ambit stand alone cable modem go here:
http://192.168.100.1/P_operation.htm
and enter 'root' as the username and password

Alternatively, run DocsDiag:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/docsdiag/

Nemesis 02-08-2004 14:12

Ok can we have some calm in this thread ... there is no need for abusive comments, and they will NOT be tolerated.

For information

A large portion of the NTL network was ready for the upgrades, when they announced them, however as NTL is an amalgamation of several smaller Telco comapnies, some of the networks they now own were not ready for the upgrades. Since the announcement over 1.5 million has been spent in upgrading the network to be able to take the upgraded speeds for the users.

This work has been completed in most areas now, hence the roll out being "Late Summer". IN MY ESTIMATION, WE ARE STILL NOT AT "LATE SUMMER". Be patient, we have brought you updates as and when we can get them.

Also note ... NTL pay out 1.5 Million .... You pay £0.00.

Getting impatient and abusive will NOT bring the upgrades any quicker.

beardsley 02-08-2004 14:28

Quote:

Sometimes it's safer to under promise and over deliver......

Agree with you entirely Orangebird. For once NTL has given more than they promissed.

I for one am more than happy to get the speed increase before it was officially due. (Of course, if I had not received the increase yet, I may not have the same opinion ;) )

I am quite happy to complain when NTL make a mess of things, but this time they seem to be doing things in a sensible controlled manner. So it is a :tu: to NTL from me.

SoLo MaN 02-08-2004 14:44

Well looking good down here in Sunny Worthing, West Sussex. I have been done. Just Look at these speeds.. Thanks NTL great Stuff. I am really happy with my cable connection, after my unhappy time with Tiscali.

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/sp...b5f8c2bb166fd7

SoLo MaN 02-08-2004 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoLo MaN
Well looking good down here in Sunny Worthing, West Sussex. I have been done. Just Look at these speeds.. Thanks NTL great Stuff. I am really happy with my cable connection, after my unhappy time with Tiscali.

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/sp...b5f8c2bb166fd7

Silly me, forgot to mention I was on a 600 connection, now its 750. Sweet>>>>

Swipe 02-08-2004 14:50

Has anyone with the 600k service on a STB been updated yet?

downquark1 02-08-2004 14:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swipe
Has anyone with the 600k service on a STB been updated yet?

Yep, you have to reboot the STB though

byron_hinson 02-08-2004 14:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Janusian
Postcode checker is working again now

http://www.ntl.com/home/internet/upgrade/checker.asp

Unfortunately Fleet not due to be done until October :td:

Yeah but that tells me my area won't be done til November, yet it's already upgraded.

Paul 02-08-2004 14:54

Quote:

The mentality of some just has to be seen to be believed. :rolleyes:

BBKing 02-08-2004 14:59

Quote:

Lets face it they only have to send a config file down the line to your modem.
What bliss it must be to be so ignorant.

scastle is spot on - we've spent a hell of a lot of time and money getting ready for this, including introducing an entirely new UBR part with higher bandwidth, getting that through testing and deployment where necessary, providing more caching, testing the new speeds against EVERY SINGLE modem type out there, tweaking deployment plans, briefing call centres, swapping out STBs, getting everyone ready for the test and then the live deployment.

This is NOT just sending a new config file down. A lot of people who've spent the last two months mainly awake in the small hours will probably not appreciate being called asswipes.

etccarmageddon 02-08-2004 15:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M
The mentality of some just has to be seen to be believed. :rolleyes:

mine was upgraded last week - although promised 'late summer' - it's early/mid summer. impressive stuff. I know if these people are asswipes then I will be wiping my ass with mighty fine high quality ass wipe material.

:p:

better than double velvet indeed.

kronas 02-08-2004 15:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBKing
What bliss it must be to be so ignorant.

scastle is spot on - we've spent a hell of a lot of time and money getting ready for this, including introducing an entirely new UBR part with higher bandwidth, getting that through testing and deployment where necessary, providing more caching, testing the new speeds against EVERY SINGLE modem type out there, tweaking deployment plans, briefing call centres, swapping out STBs, getting everyone ready for the test and then the live deployment.

This is NOT just sending a new config file down. A lot of people who've spent the last two months mainly awake in the small hours will probably not appreciate being called asswipes.

well id like to give a standing avation to all those involved in the uk wide upgrades, some of us do know that its not as easy as a config file....yes NTL have not capitalised on this yet, but atleast all the planning, the techs at the UBR's and all those connected with this networkwide upgrade seem to have coped excellently, well done all :tu: :clap:

TheShadow 02-08-2004 15:17

It says my area is to be upgraded in August, but this is only for SACM users, right?

Are NTL going to upgrade different areas as soon as all STB users in said areas have the new box? Or are they going to do it nationwide?

Sorry for all the questioning, hehe.

Good job to the NTL folks though. This is much harder work than most people realise.

Chrysalis 02-08-2004 15:52

guys you cant blame customers for been upset there was no planning ahead from ntl, they announced the upgrades at the same time as telewest and have been made to look like idiots as it has taken them much longer to deliver, I appreciate all those hard working techs out there in making this happen but this has been badly planned from the top, I also refuse to believe ntl have done this for nothing, what you think the £3 a month rise was for on the top tier.

th'engineer 02-08-2004 15:52

Just out of interest has anybody calculated how long you have to be connected and download to exceed the cap per day.:angel:

orangebird 02-08-2004 15:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrysalis
guys you cant blame customers for been upset there was no planning ahead from ntl, they announced the upgrades at the same time as telewest and have been made to look like idiots as it has taken them much longer to deliver, I appreciate all those hard working techs out there in making this happen but this has been badly planned from the top, I also refuse to believe ntl have done this for nothing, what you think the £3 a month rise was for on the top tier.

Telewest didn't have half as much work to do as ntl....

So, what do you think ntl did it for then? Aside from the £3 rise (which didn't affect the 150 & 600k users)......

2||Para 02-08-2004 15:58

Just walked in from work and gave modem a boot :luv: speed test 1502kb.

A pat on the back to the over-worked NTL engineers that got it sorted on schedule.

THANKS

Chrysalis 02-08-2004 16:01

if I am right 1.8 hours

ian@huth 02-08-2004 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by th'engineer
Just out of interest has anybody calculated how long you have to be connected and download to exceed the cap per day.:angel:

Depends on what you are doing!

Most users don't want or need to max out their connection all the time. Yes, you can max it out, but in reality who needs to? :)

paul211 02-08-2004 16:06

hello so whens swindon gonna be updated plz if any one knows

sorry if this as been asked before

Chrysalis 02-08-2004 16:07

well thats my point, if ntl had more work then you announce it when you can deliver, ntl have more customers but in theory they should also have the extra capability to go with it, smaller networks are harder to provide same scale increases. The £3 rise should have been £1 on each tier especially as the bottom tier got a 100% increase, but my main point is that this 1.5mill is from the customers on the top tier package. If I am not mistaken all telewest customers were upgraded within the month they started, so if its true some people are having to wait until november (3 months after today and 6 months after original announcment) should they still have to pay the same as customers on higher speeds.

td444 02-08-2004 16:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianathuth
Depends on what you are doing!

Most users don't want or need to max out their connection all the time. Yes, you can max it out, but in reality who needs to? :)

Just do it at off peak times , then no-one at NTL will care so much, as it doesnt have a knock on effect with others.

|WS-420| 02-08-2004 16:35

been with NTL/Cable and wireless TV for about 25 years (? since it started anyway) and NTL BB since start (late 2000 ?) and this is the most forthcoming, quitest and best upgrade ever..other then the jump to digital.. they probably didn't release press coverage because of premoting "don't get your hopes up" vibes.

Thanks again NTL!
NTL Bashers **** off and get a life, go crawl your sorry ass back to bt if its so bad (GOOD LUCK! lol)

cookie_365 02-08-2004 16:52

Brighton's done

Time to hit Shareaza with my sparkling new 750k :)

ian@huth 02-08-2004 16:54

Quote:

well thats my point, if ntl had more work then you announce it when you can deliver, ntl have more customers but in theory they should also have the extra capability to go with it, smaller networks are harder to provide same scale increases. The £3 rise should have been £1 on each tier especially as the bottom tier got a 100% increase, but my main point is that this 1.5mill is from the customers on the top tier package. If I am not mistaken all telewest customers were upgraded within the month they started, so if its true some people are having to wait until november (3 months after today and 6 months after original announcment) should they still have to pay the same as customers on higher speeds.

NTL appear to get slated when they don't tell you in advance what is happening and also if they do tell you in advance. Make up your mind which you prefer.

NTL may have more customers but they exist in what were several smaller franchises, each with their own architecture and methods. They are slowly bringing the different franchises together but that takes time and money.

I didn't see the top tier customers posting last year when the bottom tier had a £3 increase and they didn't to say that this was unfair on bottom tier customers and all tiers should have had a £1 increase.

We will have to wait and see how long the speed upgrade process takes as if memory serves me, NTL have never quoted an actual date for completion or pointed customers to the postcode upgrade checker which appears to be not telling the truth anyway.

Unless NTL start advertising the service quoting the new speeds as being what you will get you can hardly grumble that you aren't getting what you are paying for.

I can't believe all the grumbling and moaning over getting more for your money.

eastwind 02-08-2004 16:56

750 is enabled now in my (macclesfield) area !!!

Marge 02-08-2004 16:58

Upgraded here too but have to say I can't remember seeing anything at work to say this had been actioned as from today :shrug:

Lew 02-08-2004 16:59

Got home (Fleet, Hants) and checked the CM and it was still on 1Mbps. Rebooted the CM andââ‚Âà ‚¬Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¦
Quote:

Mon, 02 Aug 2004 14:56:43 GMT
1st 128K took 629 ms = 208382 Bytes/sec = approx 1734 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 883 ms = 148439 Bytes/sec = approx 1235 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 700 ms = 187246 Bytes/sec = approx 1558 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 710 ms = 184608 Bytes/sec = approx 1536 kbits/sec
Well done all the people at ntl who are involved in the upgrade! :D

Hell's Child 02-08-2004 17:01

Quote:

well thats my point, if ntl had more work then you announce it when you can deliver, ntl have more customers but in theory they should also have the extra capability to go with it, smaller networks are harder to provide same scale increases.

If this would have happened, then we would have had people on here complaining that ntl were crap and telewest were far better.... people asking "where is our speed increase?" as if is their devine right to get an upgrade in the first place. No matter what ntl do people will always be there to shoot them down.
If the majority of areas (i.e 75%) are ready for release by August but the other 25% isn't, do you:-
a) release the 75% or
b) hold the upgrade up untill all areas are avabliable?
c) Dont tell anyone your plans untill all areas are avaliable for upgrade?

Choose option a, and you hack of 25% of your customers are hacked off because they cannot get the speed some other people are getting for 2-3 months.
Choose option b, and you have 75% of your customers hacked off because they could get the upgrade but haven't got it because of the upgrades required to bring all areas upto standard.
Choose option c, and hack EVERYONE off, because they see telewest upgrading their customers FOC.
Which do you do, go with hacking off the majority, or minority.
Yeah it's sh1te but that's the choice, and I agree with the choice that was made.

Quote:

The £3 rise should have been £1 on each tier especially as the bottom tier got a 100% increase, but my main point is that this 1.5mill is from the customers on the top tier package. If I am not mistaken all telewest customers were upgraded within the month they started, so if its true some people are having to wait until november (3 months after today and 6 months after original announcment) should they still have to pay the same as customers on higher speeds.

So, a free upgrade.... for lower tier customers... if some people don't get it as early as others ntl should give them a discount? so ntl pay people be on the lower speeds.... after offering a free upgrade that has cost a few mill? I can't see your logic? I am on 600k and would not personally begrudge paying the same amount as someone on 750k for 2-3 months because by ubr wasn't upograded, provided that I knew it wouldn't be permanant. We know that all areas should be completed by Nov 2nd, and therefore it wouldn't bother me. If people that much that they aren't getting there FREE upgrades as quick as someone else, why not go join BT on a 512k connection at £26.00 a month?
Personally, I don't think that the 1mb should have gone up in price but I certainly dont think the 300 or the 750k service should see a price increase.
Disagree with me if you wish but it seems some people would still find a reason to complain about ntl, even if they gave all their services away for free.

Quote:

but my main point is that this 1.5mill is from the customers on the top tier package.

How do you know this??? Have you information from somewhere confirming this or is it just speculation? If it is speculation, you cannot state it is from the top tier customers.... especially when the majority (i.e 92%) of ntl's broadband customers are on 150K (300K) or 600k (750k)

*******edit... I need to learn to proof read before hitting that *post* button

2||Para 02-08-2004 17:04

I Can See why some people would be upset at having to wait longer than other's,it's only natural to want what nextdoor's kid has.

Perhaps if more people did complain about the service they are provided with,we would have a customer 1st attitude like the USA,rather than the Shhh dont complain attitude we have in this country.

beardsley 02-08-2004 17:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by th'engineer

On 1.5 Mbit/s you could hit the cap in 1 hour 31 minutes if you really tried.