Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=14837)

city-boy 03-09-2004 16:53

Re: [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades

I've had my STB upgraded a few weeks ago, still no 1.5MB on in here in Manchester. Anyone got the 1.5MB on their new Samsung STB yet?

BIGZIPZ 03-09-2004 17:01

http://www.ntl.com/home/internet/upgrade/checker.asp

Quote: If you are a 1Mb Set top box customer ntl will be in contact with you to exchange your current box. Your 1.5Mb upgrade will happen during October.

LostintheNW 03-09-2004 18:12

Oh well looks like time to jump ship, sick of being ****ed around by NTL! over 6 months they have had to sort this out, why they couldn't swap the boxes earlier I will never know

scrotnig 03-09-2004 18:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostintheNW
Oh well looks like time to jump ship, sick of being ****ed around by NTL! over 6 months they have had to sort this out, why they couldn't swap the boxes earlier I will never know

What's happened here?

Are you just after a Samsung for the 1.5mb service, or is it a SACM your after?

Either way I can see what I can do if you like. SACM is definitely no problem at all.

BIGZIPZ 03-09-2004 18:37

Could you hook up a SACM for me too pal ? :)

I have requested one before but I got told by a man that it was for people who have faults only.

scrotnig 03-09-2004 18:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGZIPZ
Could you hook up a SACM for me too pal ? :)

I have requested one before but I got told by a man that it was for people who have faults only.

Where in the country are you?

BIGZIPZ 03-09-2004 18:54

Harroogate, North Yorkshire

EDIT: Harrogate

LostintheNW 03-09-2004 19:11

I already have a samsung, not impressed with in the slightest had more stuttering tv and post rs errors than I ever had with the pace box! SACM would be nice if I could have the DD for it on the cable bill but been told this isnt possible, which is a joke to be honest as I dont see why they cant just add it to the bill as all the bill says now is 1024k broadband!

scrotnig 03-09-2004 19:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGZIPZ
Harroogate, North Yorkshire

EDIT: Harrogate

Shouldn't be a problem. drop me a PM with your details and I'll get it organised on Monday, should have it fitted within a couple of weeks at the latest.

BBKing 03-09-2004 19:18

Quote:

Anyone got the 1.5MB on their new Samsung STB yet?
Nope. Take it from me, I'd know.

scrotnig 03-09-2004 20:49

Quote:

I already have a samsung, not impressed with in the slightest had more stuttering tv and post rs errors than I ever had with the pace box! SACM would be nice if I could have the DD for it on the cable bill but been told this isnt possible, which is a joke to be honest as I dont see why they cant just add it to the bill as all the bill says now is 1024k broadband!

Hi

The reason for this is because the cable modems are actually billed and provisioned entirely separately from broadband via set top box.

mognuts 04-09-2004 16:56

I've just had a letter from ntl asking me to make an appointment to have my Pace STB swaped for a Samsung so that I can have the speed upgrade from 1 to 1.5 Meg. Sounds straightforward, but when I phone the number 0800 052 1488, the person on the other end tells me that this is a 'ntl staff only' number and I shouldn't be using it. So I phone customer services and they know nothing about a letter, but tell me that my area (London SE9) isn't due to be upgraded and then say that they have run out of Samsung boxes anyway.

Is anybody else in this situation and can anybody make sense of what is going on? It looks as if I was sent the letter in error and ntl deny all knowedge of it.

Incidently, the letter was send by a "Scott Gooding - Field Report Representative" and came from Preston Farm Business Park, Stockton-on-Tees.

Can anybody help?

Regards

Mognuts

madcap 05-09-2004 18:18

http://insight.zdnet.co.uk/communica...9164632,00.htm

When oh when :dozey: oh yeah thats right probably never, are we going to catch up with the swedish and others? £43 for a 100Mb connection come on NTL you know you want to too! :dunce:

PC_Arcade 05-09-2004 18:24

Can anyone shed any light on Oxford area (OX4)?

In speaking to CS, they say I've already been upgraded, my speeds and the NTL postcode checker say different.

Has it been done and I've been missed or (and this is what I suspect) has it not been done yet?

BBKing 05-09-2004 18:42

To coin a phrase, drop me a PM with your modem MAC in it and I'll take a peek...

Mick 05-09-2004 19:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by mognuts
Is anybody else in this situation and can anybody make sense of what is going on? It looks as if I was sent the letter in error and ntl deny all knowedge of it.

Incidently, the letter was send by a "Scott Gooding - Field Report Representative" and came from Preston Farm Business Park, Stockton-on-Tees.

Can anybody help?

Regards

Mognuts

Welcome to the site. :welcome:

Looks like an apparent case of a left hand right hand situation to me.

I'd contact customer services again and ask to be transferred to the relevant department, you got this letter and you want to arrange an appointment for the swapping of your STB. You got this letter asking you to do this and you wish to do it. Don't put the phone down until you got relevant answers and action.

BBKing 05-09-2004 19:48

If you're on 1Mb STB and you haven't got a Samsung, you'll need it swapped, whether you're in SE9 or wherever. There isn't the capability to do parts of the country, it's all or nothing.

PC_Arcade 05-09-2004 19:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBKing
To coin a phrase, drop me a PM with your modem MAC in it and I'll take a peek...

Done, thanks BBKing :)

Kneebs 05-09-2004 21:27

Quote:

If you're on 1Mb STB and you haven't got a Pace, you'll need it swapped, whether you're in SE9 or wherever. There isn't the capability to do parts of the country, it's all or nothing.

Do I win a prize for spotting the deliberate mistake ?? :p:

BBKing 05-09-2004 21:44

Bah - replace 'haven't got a Pace' with 'haven't got a Samsung'. Ta Kneebs.

breakerfall 06-09-2004 17:49

Quote:

Congratulations your service has been upgraded. (Postcode) was upgraded in August. If you are a 1Mb Set top box customer ntl will be in contact with you to exchange your current box. Your 1.5Mb upgrade will happen during October.
Awwww... that sucks.

The engineer just installed the new STB yesterday whilst I was out and I was expecting to come home to a nice faster connection (and a TV service that didn't crash). It should have been a day of joy. Instead I come home to a broken router... :sleep:

But at least the TV feels nice and fast now. :D

Mod edit (Chris T): You don't want to post your home address on a public web page. ;)

Swomp_Donkey 07-09-2004 14:36

I donââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t know about BB Speed Upgrade, Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢m just looking forward to getting more than 400k for a sustained period on my 1mb STB connection with nothing else connected. (Bexley Area) Anyone else having problems in this area?

Tue, 7 Sep 2004 13:30:05 UTC :Yikes:
1st 128K took 3719 ms = 35244 Bytes/sec = approx 293 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 3531 ms = 37120 Bytes/sec = approx 309 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 3313 ms = 39563 Bytes/sec = approx 329 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 4125 ms = 31775 Bytes/sec = approx 264 kbits/sec

Stuart 07-09-2004 16:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swomp_Donkey
I donââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t know about BB Speed Upgrade, Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢m just looking forward to getting more than 400k for a sustained period on my 1mb STB connection with nothing else connected. (Bexley Area) Anyone else having problems in this area?

Tue, 7 Sep 2004 13:30:05 UTC :Yikes:
1st 128K took 3719 ms = 35244 Bytes/sec = approx 293 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 3531 ms = 37120 Bytes/sec = approx 309 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 3313 ms = 39563 Bytes/sec = approx 329 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 4125 ms = 31775 Bytes/sec = approx 264 kbits/sec

Have you told NTL?

mognuts 07-09-2004 18:37

Quote:

Bah - replace 'haven't got a Pace' with 'haven't got a Samsung'. Ta Kneebs.

I emailed Scott Gooding to ask what was going on and he replied (which was nice) and he insisted that the telephone number was correct but since I was having problems I could make the appointment by email instead, which I did.

Interestingly, when he replied he expalined why I needed the upgrade and said that my Pace STB would have to be replaced by a SACM. I was under the impression that everybody in London SE9 who had broadband had to use a STB to get broadband if they also subscribe to TV services. I was not aware that a separate SACM was an option. Is this true, or have ntl made another balls up?

andygrif 07-09-2004 23:22

Wow! 89 pages...forgive me for not reading through it all. At the risk of repeating a question, does anyone know if the Luton network is supposed to be running at the upgraded speeds yet?

I'm on 600k SACM and it's still at 600k not 750k.

TheShadow 07-09-2004 23:40

Quote:

I emailed Scott Gooding to ask what was going on and he replied (which was nice) and he insisted that the telephone number was correct but since I was having problems I could make the appointment by email instead, which I did.

Interestingly, when he replied he expalined why I needed the upgrade and said that my Pace STB would have to be replaced by a SACM. I was under the impression that everybody in London SE9 who had broadband had to use a STB to get broadband if they also subscribe to TV services. I was not aware that a separate SACM was an option. Is this true, or have ntl made another balls up?

If you've got a Pace STB, It'll be replaced by a Samsung STB, not a SACM. So yup, he was wrong.

Mikey E 07-09-2004 23:58

Stupid question: my 600k broadband is reliable and fast so why is this upgrade so important?

Ignition 08-09-2004 00:44

There's no such thing as 'too fast' as far as internet goes - what you can do with 1Mbit you can do 10 of at the same time with 10Mbit, or do in 1/10th the time.

Stop It 08-09-2004 01:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by andygrif
Wow! 89 pages...forgive me for not reading through it all. At the risk of repeating a question, does anyone know if the Luton network is supposed to be running at the upgraded speeds yet?

I'm on 600k SACM and it's still at 600k not 750k.

Hmmmmm, Most people around luton (Or on its servers, including me) were upgraded in mid august, might not have finished upgrading though, could try ringing T/S and making sure, oh, and have you tried rebooting the SACM (Edit ...) recently?

andygrif 08-09-2004 11:22

Thanks StopIt...will give it a reboot to see if that makes a difference.

Elysium 08-09-2004 18:49

I presume once you get PACE box replaced with a Samsung this doesn't mean that your going to get the 'updated' speed straight away. That being the case is there any way of finding out *when* the changes will actually take place.

I had my box replaced yesterday and am within the Manchester / Worsley area, any timeframe on the speed update?

JohnHorb 08-09-2004 19:21

According to previous posts - sometime in October.:(

Musicman 09-09-2004 13:43

:mad: :mad:
When I looked at the postcode checker for St.Albans back in August, it stated we were due to be upgraded during September.

Checking today, it now says October, I am not impressed.

castlekeep 09-09-2004 19:39

Hi All,

Here in Cosham my STB was changed for a samsung some three weeks ago but I still haven't been upgraded from my original 1Mb to 1.5Mb.
Does anyone know when Cosham may be upgraded. ?

Thanks all.
Phil.

Mick 09-09-2004 19:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by castlekeep
Hi All,

Here in Cosham my STB was changed for a samsung some three weeks ago but I still haven't been upgraded from my original 1Mb to 1.5Mb.
Does anyone know when Cosham may be upgraded. ?

Thanks all.
Phil.

From whats been said previously, October at the latest. :)

RAJ 10-09-2004 14:16

Quote:

Actually he was right you will get a sacm. I asked about this as I'm in SE2 and have had mine changed today. The reason for the change is that the samsungs only work in the CR3 areas or so I've been told by one of the london service managers.

this only affects you if you have the one meg service and are being upgraded to 1.5 meg. anything less than that and the pace stb can handle it.

Pain really as it means getting the ntl bods to migrate the stb account onto the sacm one and you just know that's not going to go well!

bigcol 10-09-2004 16:03

Advice Please

I am in Manchester M40 Area using a set top box. 150mbs

The postcode checker says my aria was upgraded 6th of August.

However no upgrade as yet, and calling technical support several times has resulted in my BB being cut off twice. Over 2 hours on hold, and no answers as to why no speed upgrade.

Is there any way to find out if the upgrade has been don. And if so, how to get CS / tech support to fix the problem.

BTW Before 6th August I was getting an avarage of 240mbs, and the speed dropped after the upgrade was said to have been done.

many thanks

colin

Paul 10-09-2004 16:46

There are a couple of ntl people who will probably pick this up for you later tonight. :D

bigcol 10-09-2004 19:11

hiya,

Tonight has been fun and I am almost at the bottom of the problem.

I came home tonight to the NTL bill. A nice mistake had resulted in over £480 :) of credit.

A call to CS and a very helpfull chap gave me a free upgrade for three months to 750kbs as a thanks for letting them know of the mistake. It turned out that sombody had enterd a wrong code when I called CS last week about the speed problems and refunded all my broadband charges since 2001.

However the Set Top Box has refused to upgrade to silver after several attempts. And is still showing copper.

Now awating Technical support as it looks like the STB is faulty.
col

homealone 10-09-2004 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigcol
hiya,

Tonight has been fun and I am almost at the bottom of the problem.

I came home tonight to the NTL bill. A nice mistake had resulted in over £480 :) of credit.

A call to CS and a very helpfull chap gave me a free upgrade for three months to 750kbs as a thanks for letting them know of the mistake. It turned out that sombody had enterd a wrong code when I called CS last week about the speed problems and refunded all my broadband charges since 2001.

However the Set Top Box has refused to upgrade to silver after several attempts. And is still showing copper.

col

£480 :Yikes:

- you are, obviously, a very honest person :tu:

I hope they sort out your upgrade soon :)

BBKing 10-09-2004 22:08

Quote:

Unlikely - if it downloads a working copper file it's still on copper in provisioning - you probably have your hit* stuck in the usual delays (couple of hours is standard I think). Try giving it a cold reboot in the morning - there's almost certainly nothing wrong with an STB (I can't think of anything that would make it download the wrong file, anyway).

If you like I'll keep an eye on it - drop me the MAC address and I'll take a shufti.

* 'hit' means 'message from the CSR to the provisioning system to say "please put this chap on silver"'.

Your honesty is admirable. Hats should be taken off to you.

bigcol 11-09-2004 00:18

Many Thanks,

The Silver came through after 2 1/2 hours. The speed tests at around 550. So this has not fixed not getting the Speed update.

How do I find out the MAC address on the STB?

Col

BBKing 11-09-2004 08:28

OK, just give us the number starting 06xx on the smart card then - can find it off that and it's easier for you to find (the MAC is usually on a label underneath, but don't worry about it).

andygrif 11-09-2004 09:59

Quote:

Thanks StopIt...will give it a reboot to see if that makes a difference.

OK left the SACM unplugged from the mains overnight, swicthed it back this morning, still 600k in Luton area. Any help please?

ps...I ran the Autoregister thing, and that says I'm on 750k too.

scrotnig 11-09-2004 10:48

All the package descriptions have been changed to show the new speeds, in my opinion a tad too early since not everywhere's been done yet.

End of September is the final date being given out on the IVRs to tech support at the moment, and I do know not everywhere has been done yet. Also, (for any STT customers) though I may be incorrect, I don't think any set top boxes have been done as they haven't finished doing the Samsung swap outs, that was the last info I had but it may be out of date.

Stop It 11-09-2004 12:14

Quote:

OK left the SACM unplugged from the mains overnight, swicthed it back this morning, still 600k in Luton area. Any help please?

Hmm, does http://192.168.100.1 (user + pass : root) show you as 750 or 600k? If its 600k But the autoreg says 750k, I would ring up T/S and ask if theres anything wrong, does sound a bit iffy :(

Edit : Just realised what MarkB meant, eheh, Still, when the Luton DHCP was upgraded in august, it appeared that everyone on it was upgraded, maybe it wasnt but its worth calling T/S just to check :p

mognuts 11-09-2004 13:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheShadow
If you've got a Pace STB, It'll be replaced by a Samsung STB, not a SACM. So yup, he was wrong.

I've got the swap arranged for Monday afternoon, so I'll let you know what I get.

BBKing 11-09-2004 14:56

Quote:

Not sure it's clever enough to know exactly what speed you're on - it probably knows you're on silver, and is assuming silver=750k. As Mark said, a trifle early!

Re: Luton DHCPs - the SACM upgrades were done on a per card basis (actually, all modems on a card), not a per-DHCP basis. Thus it's quite feasible for two people off the same DHCP to have different speeds.

andygrif 11-09-2004 15:18

Thanks for the advice Stopit, BB & Mark - I'll hang on till the end of Sept (I bet TS are fed up with being asked the question right now!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stop It
Hmm, does http://192.168.100.1 (user + pass : root) show you as 750 or 600k?

I'm not really sure where I should be looking for this in the SACM pages. I'm on a Motorola SB3100. There are a couple of things in the log that look iffy though....

Quote:

040911084456 4-Error X501.35 Unit Update Failed.
Quote:

040911084455 4-Error X501.28 Unit Update - Not updating. This image is not for this platform.
Also this one that mentions silver...guessing it is my level of service....

Quote:

040911084450 7-Information D509.0 Retrieved TFTP Config tmota4100-silver.cm SUCCESS

BBKing 11-09-2004 15:47

Quote:

tmota4100-silver.cm
That's the temporary tier of service - what people were put on before the upgrade - the upgrade itself was done by rolling out the new CM files and changing people back to the non-temporary tiers - in your case that would be mota4100-silver.cm.

Now, either you've been missed or your card has been delayed due to capacity work, which quite a few have been. Can't be definite at the moment.

Reddevil63 13-09-2004 08:02

As of now I still haven't been upgraded in the SN3 region! :(

Still on 600k!!!

mognuts 13-09-2004 15:55

Quote:

I've got the swap arranged for Monday afternoon, so I'll let you know what I get.

OK, here's the story. 3 blokes came this morning (not this afternoon as planned) and installed a SACM not a Samsung STB. They left it in a state but I tidied up and installed manually. Installation process woudn't work because it needed a PIN, so I called Customer services and after a bit of waiting got the PIN. When I registered the modem, which looked like a ntl home 200 jobbie to me, it worked like a dream. I'm getting the 1.5 service, I've tried various speed checkers and they all say the same, between 1.3 and 1.4 meg, which is quite reasonable for a 1.5 meg advertised service, I was only getting 930k before, top whack.

Interestingly, I'm not longer proxied, and (unsurprisingly) my IP address has changed.

Although not an entirely smooth ride, it could of been a lot worse.

DeadKenny 13-09-2004 18:15

Quote:

Yeah, at least they turned up even if it was the wrong time (as usual) ;)

Feenix 14-09-2004 02:05

Quote:

well, it could have rained... :dozey:

PC_Arcade 19-09-2004 19:16

OX4 STILL not upgraded :(
Despite NTL telling me on the phone it has been.

Psychotext 19-09-2004 19:43

CF23 (SACM) not upgraded... postcode checker shows September (You're running out of time NTL).

Stuart 19-09-2004 21:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by PC_Arcade
OX4 STILL not upgraded :(
Despite NTL telling me on the phone it has been.

If you are on the 1 Meg connection (so should be getting 1.5 meg now) and are running the connection through a STB (not cable modem), you will not have been upgraded yet. No one running 1Meg through a STB has. This is to give NTL time to replace all the Pace boxes that are running 1 Meg connections with Samsungs. This will probably happen in October.

If not, I suggest you complain to customer services until they send someone to sort out the problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pschotext
CF23 (SACM) not upgraded... postcode checker shows September (You're running out of time NTL).

Be fair, they still have 10 days left..

BBKing 19-09-2004 22:20

OX4 is Oxford, original ntl and thus not STB broadband enabled.

Stuart 19-09-2004 23:16

Quote:

OX4 is Oxford, original ntl and thus not STB broadband enabled.

Fair enough. Didn't know that. So my second comment stands then..

samuelnw53 20-09-2004 14:37

speed or no speed?

Have recently been upgraded to 1.5 but my download speed has only gone up to 871---1159 have done all the tweaks etc am seriously thinking of going down to 750 as i dont think the extra i am paying justifies the poor increase in speed before upgrade was on 1.0 and getting 873 to 925kbits/sec have run speed tests from several places inc simple speed test pc pitstop etc even dan ewlells says i have a52%ping loss.

paulyoung666 20-09-2004 14:46

Re: speed or no speed?

hi and :welcome: to the site , if you are getting that much packet loss then i would suggest a local problem rather than not being on the right tier , what modem do you have , have you tried a different proxie :)

samuelnw53 20-09-2004 15:29

They have removed the Pace stb and replaced it eith a Samsung stb ,dont really know what else i can do ,not very technically minded, am a silver surfer slowley tearing out what hair i have left and that aint to much .Sam

quadplay 20-09-2004 15:33

Have you tried ringing Technical Support on 0845 650 0125? As Paul says, that much ping loss is not normal, so a technician visit may be required, or it could be a known problem which may be fixed shortly.

paulyoung666 20-09-2004 15:37

Sam, have a look here and pick a proxy to use , if you are using i.e. then go to tools -- internet options -- connections -- lan settings -- tick the proxy server box and put in the proxy server of your choice , use port 8080 for any of them , see how you get on :)

markmarkymark 20-09-2004 15:58

Interesting ....

I am having all sorts of fun and games with my 1.5 Mbit connection, and it all seems to have started after the outage.

For a number of months the connection as been fine. Now I'm for ever shifting between a number of difference proxies to get certain sites to load. Speed is variable, I used to get close on 1480 Kbits download - but that varies between 800 and 1400.

The connection also seems to 'stall' now and again...

Its a real pity as its been good up to now. The problem is its very difficult to pin-point the problem in order to tell the tech people about it -

MArk
(Reading)

nash 20-09-2004 16:50

hi,
"They have removed the Pace stb and replaced it eith a Samsung stb " the upgrade is not yet applicable for STB's as far as i know.

mick

BBKing 20-09-2004 19:16

1Mb STBs will be upgraded in due course, after a mass swapout for Samsungs. I can't say exactly when (because I'd probably be wrong, and look a fool) but if you want me to send you a PM when it's going ahead I will.

medw1974 20-09-2004 20:26

Typical NTL - one hand doesnt know what the other is doing.

Got a samsung box installed today even though I'm only the 750 service and thought why not £13 extra for double speed aint bad. So phoned up CS and asked if I upgraded would I get 1 or 1.5 meg. Advisor asked me if I had a silver box - replied yes I do - "well then sir, you will definately get 1.5 meg. So went ahead and upgraded.

Did all the rebooting etc - ran a speed test - hmmm 1020k - call to BB Tech support - 45 minute wait (charged for) - then was told in the rudest terms that if CS are giving out wrong info its not their problem and there is nothing they can do about it. So back onto to CS spoke to nice lady who confirms that the info they have is that as soon as samsung is delivered customer can receive 1.5 meg.

Totally ridiculous!!!!!!

Off to research ADSL prices!!

Psychotext 21-09-2004 02:47

CF23 SACM updated.

LostintheNW 21-09-2004 09:05

So the 1st October is not the day the STB users get the upgrade then?

If not its bye bye NTL for me! had enough of being lied to, oh and how can NTL expect the swap outs to be done quickly if they do not update the people out on the streets doing the upgrades that peoples STB's have been swapped! 4 times I have been contacted now to change my STB yet I had this done in August!!!

Stuart 21-09-2004 11:23

Quote:

So the 1st October is not the day the STB users get the upgrade then?

If not its bye bye NTL for me! had enough of being lied to, oh and how can NTL expect the swap outs to be done quickly if they do not update the people out on the streets doing the upgrades that peoples STB's have been swapped! 4 times I have been contacted now to change my STB yet I had this done in August!!!

I have to admit, I am slightly p**sed off about this. My box was swapped out at the beginning of August, and there is still no sign of when the upgrade is happening? In the meantime, I am paying the same amount as people getting 1.5Meg but for two thirds the service. And I wasn't even offered the option of a Cable modem (not that I want one, the layout of my house means it's not really practical for me).

I do not understand why NTL has to wait for EVERYONE affected to have their boxes swapped. Surely it's possible to do it on an area by area basis (assuming that area has been upgraded)? If the area was upgraded, I would be very surprised if it would need to upgraded further to allow STBs to get the faster speeds.

TBH the only thing currently stopping me ditching the whole lot (including DTV) is the fact that my family do not want a Sky dish stuck on the house. So, when I do manage to persuade my family (and it *will* happen), NTL will lose another £70 or £80 a month. Well done NTL!.

PC_Arcade 21-09-2004 11:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by scastle
If you are on the 1 Meg connection (so should be getting 1.5 meg now) and are running the connection through a STB (not cable modem), you will not have been upgraded yet. No one running 1Meg through a STB has. This is to give NTL time to replace all the Pace boxes that are running 1 Meg connections with Samsungs. This will probably happen in October.

If not, I suggest you complain to customer services until they send someone to sort out the problem.

Be fair, they still have 10 days left..

I'm on a SACM, what would phoning CS actually acieve? short of them admitting ox4 has not been upgraded and that they were mistaken, it won't make it happen any quicker. It's the lies that annoy me and the fact that NTL's instant assumption is that the customer is wrong :mad:

Stuart 21-09-2004 11:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by PC_Arcade
I'm on a SACM, what would phoning CS actually acieve? short of them admitting ox4 has not been upgraded and that they were mistaken, it won't make it happen any quicker. It's the lies that annoy me and the fact that NTL's instant assumption is that the customer is wrong :mad:

If ox4 has been upgraded, it's entirely possible your modem didn't get the updated config file. They can ensure it's sent. If need be, they can also send an engineer out to have a look at it.

Also, have you tried rebooting the modem?

LostintheNW 21-09-2004 13:22

The annoying thing is the letter stated that those who had not been contacted to have their boxes swapped would be shoved down to the 750k until such time their boxes are done, what has happened to this idea?

I am not bothered about having a dish on the side of the house as we still have our old analogue sat dish stuck there. At the moment I am just ****ed off with the fact that I was told August, then Septemeber then from the beginning of October that this upgrade would happen. I am even more annoyed that I am paying the same as someone on 1.5mb yet I am not on that speed!

samuelnw53 21-09-2004 14:39

Am i being fobed off or what . pace box replaced with samsung a few weeks ago ,kept checking my speeds 982 to 1028 ,checked postcode and says i am upgraded but at those speeds i dont think so , i rang NTL and they say i am not up to 1.5 yet so why is postcode check telling me that i am? I am in Darwen

Chris 21-09-2004 14:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by samuelnw53
Am i being fobed off or what . pace box replaced with samsung a few weeks ago ,kept checking my speeds 982 to 1028 ,checked postcode and says i am upgraded but at those speeds i dont think so , i rang NTL and they say i am not up to 1.5 yet so why is postcode check telling me that i am?

NTL's postcode checker is never very reliable. It's far safer to just ignore it and believe the evidence of your own eyes.

Stuart 21-09-2004 14:42

Quote:

Am i being fobed off or what . pace box replaced with samsung a few weeks ago ,kept checking my speeds 982 to 1028 ,checked postcode and says i am upgraded but at those speeds i dont think so , i rang NTL and they say i am not up to 1.5 yet so why is postcode check telling me that i am?

Because the postcode checker can only tell when the area has been upgraded. They are upgrading 1 Meg through stb users later on. Last time I checked, it did say this on the postcode checker.

Still sucks though.

Ramrod 21-09-2004 16:53

Quote:

i rang NTL and they say i am not up to 1.5 yet so why is postcode check telling me that i am? I am in Darwen

lol.....I rang TS regarding this and they didn't even know about any speed upgrades :disturbd:

BBKing 21-09-2004 18:04

Quote:

I do not understand why NTL has to wait for EVERYONE affected to have their boxes swapped. Surely it's possible to do it on an area by area basis (assuming that area has been upgraded)?
Take it from me, we can't, it's just one of those things - STBs are all or nothing. If you want to blame someone, blame whoever built the original provisioning system without knowing that in four years time a load of boxes would need to be swapped out before a service was upgraded. 20-20 hindsight is always good.

Don't know what CS are playing at, if they don't know that the rollout for STBs is delayed then someone isn't doing their job properly, and I'll make enquiries in the morning. There currently isn't any such thing as a 1.5Mb STB outside a test lab - it's tested and ready to go out as soon as the word is given.

SACMs are upgraded on a per-card basis - some cards are delayed for capacity reasons, all others are upgraded and we regularly check for strays that got missed. I'd love them the do a review after all this has finished, though, I have one or two points to put, mostly as a result of reading this thread.

Last time I looked the site said quite clearly that 1Mb STBs were delayed - the postcode checker is for SACMs and 300/750k STBs and should be mostly valid - postcodes don't map correctly to CMTS cards, but more people know their postcode than their CMTS card.

scrotnig 21-09-2004 18:43

Looks like from some of the posts in this thread, ntl would have been better off saying 'tough luck, no speed increases for anyone'.

We now have several people threatening to cancel and go to ADSL because they can't have their FREE speed upgrade right NOW!

Ok, I'd say go to ADSL and demand they upgrade you to a higher speed at no extra cost...see the answer you get!

This I am certain is part of the reason no warning of changes is ever given now at ntl. It's a complex network, and the moment something unexpected happens and there's a delay, they get bombarded with 'I want to cancel because you promised xxxxx for free last week and it's been delayed'.

Would everyone have preferred it if the upgrades went ahead before everything was ready, and some customers got left with no service? No, I thought not.

Chill out, the upgrades WILL happen, BBKing has explained the situation with set top boxes, it will not be done until everything is ready and functioning correctly.

mrm1 21-09-2004 18:56

Had our upgrade today in the SN3 Swindon area.

BBKing 21-09-2004 18:59

It's certainly true that I don't announce weeks in advance if I know something's going to happen - 1) it might not happen and I don't want to get people's hopes up and 2) I'm almost certain it wouldn't go down very well.

And I'm on ADSL - have been for four years come November - number of free speed upgrades in that time = 0

Stuart 21-09-2004 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark B
We now have several people threatening to cancel and go to ADSL because they can't have their FREE speed upgrade right NOW!

Ok, I'd say go to ADSL and demand they upgrade you to a higher speed at no extra cost...see the answer you get!

The problem is, as far as I am concerned, that NTL is now providing two different speeds (1 Meg and 1.5 Meg) for the same price. That is what I am moaning about. Show me an ADSL provider that does that.

I would be grateful for the extra speed (if I had it), and working with a relatively large computer network, I do have some idea of what can go wrong, but would appreciate some sort of idea of when STBs will be upgraded.

I should, however, make it clear that if and when I do cancel the service, the Broadband speed would not be the only reason.

scrotnig 21-09-2004 19:14

Well, for my part, ntl broadband is the best product on the market.

OK, I would say that wouldn't I? Perhaps, but in actual fact, if I had an issue with the service, I would say so, it's as simple as that.

I had 1mb broadband via Set Top Box (Pace) for over two years. It never failed once. During Euro 2004 I deliberately made heavy use of the interactive services WHILST downloading MP3s, in truth I was trying to see at what point the box would crash...but it never did.

I had a Samsung put in soon afterwards ready for the 1mb, and that was just as good. I still have two Pace boxes as well, and they don't crash either.

When I moved house in August I decided to put the broadband through a SACM, for no other reason than I wanted to experience the SACM product from the customer's angle rather than as staff. And that's spot on as well.

I thought, well maybe I was just on a decent node at my old house, but no, it's just as good at my new one. The actual transfer of service was perfect and done very competently, and no the technician did not know who I worked for.

This isn't to pretend that people don't have problems....I spend a lot of my time sorting them out....just to say it isn't ALWAYS like that.

Stuart 21-09-2004 19:21

Quote:

....just to say it isn't ALWAYS like that.

True, and for the most part I have been very happy with my service. I have noticed problems with the TV picture stuttering when it's extremely hot or windy, but these have been MINOR problems.

That's not to say I have had no other problems (I have documented other problems on this site) but generally, NTL has fixed problems quickly.

Paul 21-09-2004 20:13

Quote:

This isn't to pretend that people don't have problems....I spend a lot of my time sorting them out....just to say it isn't ALWAYS like that.

No it isn't, and hundreds of thousands of ntl customers are happy with their service.

However, the simple fact is that most people who register here do so because they have a problem, so the view is always going to be heavily biased against ntl. That's just the way it is. :)

LostintheNW 21-09-2004 20:26

Mark B seeing as you are on a SACM the fact that the upgrade has not been done doesn't seem to affect you. As stated I am paying £37.99 for a service which at the moment for me is 1mb, yet others are paying the same price and getting a 1.5mb service. Thats the unfair part in all this. Not arsed that ADSL have given no free upgrades, the fact is if it was to happen on ADSL I could quite easily get it, or switch companies to one who has given an upgrade.

At the end of the day this is yet another typical NTL shambles, NTL trying to play catch up with the competition.

scrotnig 21-09-2004 20:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M
No it isn't, and hundreds of thousands of ntl customers are happy with their service.

However, the simple fact is that most people who register here do so because they have a problem, so the view is always going to be heavily biased against ntl. That's just the way it is. :)

You are right of course, and where that criticism is justified I'll support it. But where it is not, I'll always make that clear too.

scrotnig 21-09-2004 20:39

Quote:

Mark B seeing as you are on a SACM the fact that the upgrade has not been done doesn't seem to affect you. As stated I am paying £37.99 for a service which at the moment for me is 1mb, yet others are paying the same price and getting a 1.5mb service. Thats the unfair part in all this. Not arsed that ADSL have given no free upgrades, the fact is if it was to happen on ADSL I could quite easily get it, or switch companies to one who has given an upgrade.

At the end of the day this is yet another typical NTL shambles, NTL trying to play catch up with the competition.

It's not unfair, it's simply logistical. A company of ntl's size cannot simply upgrade the entire network flawleessly in one fell swoop, it has to be planned and done properly.

Honestly, if I thought the company were acting incompetently with this, or stalling and fobbing us off, I'd be furious and would say so, but I *know* that's not happening, I *know* a lot of good people are working damned hard to get the upgrades through.

A huge number of customers have already had their upgrades. Yes mine's been done as I'm now on a SACM, but that's coincidental, it doesn't bother me either way, I was on STT until 3 weeks ago so didn't have it then.

This upgrade WILL happen, but NOT until everyone is confident it's ready to go and isn't going to mess up everyone's service. That's the responsible way to play it, and I'd be annoyed if it was rushed and got messed up.

Nikko 22-09-2004 00:05

You are paying £37.99 for the 1MB service you subscribed to.

Some users have been upgraded at no extra cost, apparently you have not - yet.

At the end of the day, its another typical whining git shambles, whining gits trying to play catch up with the competition.

Quote:

Reddevil63 22-09-2004 01:51

At long last.....upgraded in the SN3 (Swindon) area and didn't need a modem re-boot! Mucho happy!!! :D

Quote:

Wed, 22 Sep 2004 00:51:56 UTC
1st 128K took 1370 ms = 95673 Bytes/sec = approx 796 kbits/sec
2nd 128K took 1490 ms = 87968 Bytes/sec = approx 732 kbits/sec
3rd 128K took 1430 ms = 91659 Bytes/sec = approx 763 kbits/sec
4th 128K took 1530 ms = 85668 Bytes/sec = approx 713 kbits/sec

BBKing 22-09-2004 09:10

Quote:

NTL trying to play catch up with the competition.
Remind me when the ADSL companies launched their 750k and 1.5Mb services. They're catching up with Telewest, true, but TW aren't the competition.

Stuart 22-09-2004 09:19

Quote:

Remind me when the ADSL companies launched their 750k and 1.5Mb services. They're catching up with Telewest, true, but TW aren't the competition.

What about the ADSL companies who are already supplying 2Mb and starting to supply 4 in some areas (ie Bulldog in Central London)?

Admittedly, Bulldog is only an option for certain ADSL customers, and the 4 Meg connection is only an option for those in Central London (at the moment), but with Cable & Wireless currently pumping £85 million into them, they are looking to expand.

Stuart 22-09-2004 09:54

Quote:

It's not unfair, it's simply logistical. A company of ntl's size cannot simply upgrade the entire network flawleessly in one fell swoop, it has to be planned and done properly.

<snip>

I understand the need to test things thoroughly on a network the size of NTL's. I also understand about the logistics. However, unless there are supply problems with the Samsung boxes, I don't see why NTL don't appear to be following the plan they outlined in the letter I got that said I would have to have my box replaced. Basically, they haven't published a cut-off date beyond which those who haven't had their Pace boxes replaced will drop to 750K.

Even if there are supply problems with these boxes, surely NTL knew how many boxes would need to be replaced well in advance? I supposed it is possible that Samsung had problems, or there has been a higher than anticipated failure rate for these boxes.

And, admittedly, I don't know an awful lot about NTL's provisioning systems, but I am surprised that they can provision SACMs on an area-by-area basis, but can't provision STBs the same way (especially as, and I know this is seperate, but they can change the channel line up from area-to-area). So they can change the configuration of the network locally.

I am not expecting the network to upgrade flawlessly. If you start changing things, there is always the chance they will break. However, I would appreciate an idea of how long I have to wait.

Ramrod 22-09-2004 10:39

Quote:

I am surprised that they can provision SACMs on an area-by-area basis, but can't provision STBs the same way (especially as, and I know this is seperate, but they can change the channel line up from area-to-area). So they can change the configuration of the network locally.

I am not expecting the network to upgrade flawlessly. If you start changing things, there is always the chance they will break. However, I would appreciate an idea of how long I have to wait.

Well put! :tu:

samuelnw53 22-09-2004 11:20

Forgive me if i sound confused, but i had my pace box replaced a few weeks ago with a samsung the engineer said i was upgraded, but my speed is still the same.i am in Darwen does anyone know when the speed is supposed to go up or if it has gone up there is somthing wrong with my setup?

BBKing 22-09-2004 12:11

Quote:

Admittedly, Bulldog is only an option for certain ADSL customers, and the 4 Meg connection is only an option for those in Central London (at the moment), but with Cable & Wireless currently pumping £85 million into them, they are looking to expand.
The original comment was about ntl 'catching up the competition'. I was referring to the 'standard' broadband offerings from ntl, TW and the DSL companies, which by far the most people are on, and which has been upgraded by TW, then ntl and we're still waiting on DSL (and in my case wondering if a switch to TW might be a good idea).

samuelnw53 - the STB service has not been upgraded for 1.5Mb anywhere in the country, merely having a box swap out doesn't mean anything.

PC_Arcade 22-09-2004 12:26

Quote:

If ox4 has been upgraded, it's entirely possible your modem didn't get the updated config file. They can ensure it's sent. If need be, they can also send an engineer out to have a look at it.

Also, have you tried rebooting the modem?

I've been told by BBking that OX4 has NOT been upgraded. I have rebooted my modem but that has (obviously) made no difference.

My problem is that NTL are unaware that my area has not been upgraded and I cannot convince customer services that I haeven't been upgraded so therefore can't get any sensible advice from CS about when the upgrade will happen as they refuse to believe I haven't been done already :mad:

LostintheNW 22-09-2004 14:02

All I want to know is when are the STB users going to be upgraded?

And to whoever stated I am paying £37.99 for the 1mb service I subscribed to yes I am however the 1mb service is no longer available and has been upgraded to 1.5mb so by rights I should be on that speed, if not then NTL should reduce the cost of the 1mb service and offer that at a lower price

If I could go with any other cable company I would, Telewest managed to upgrade their network in a short period of time...NTL announced this 6 months or so ago and its still going on...Telewest announce it and bam within 2 weeks every area is upgraded.

Although there are not any ADSL companies that offer 750 or 1.5mb services there are cetainly many that offer a lot faster.

Bring on the day this shambles known as NTL ends up being bought out by a company that can actually run a proper service and listen to what their customers have to say instead of pretending to and then doing nothing about it.

Just one question to anyone who works at NTL - why announce and upgrade you are nowhere near ready for?

Just amazes me how our cable system is actually meant to be better than the one in the USA yet they can have their speeds up left right and centre no hassle, while us poor sods here can't even have that done without no end of trouble.

orangebird 22-09-2004 14:12

Quote:

All I want to know is when are the STB users going to be upgraded?

October

Quote:

And to whoever stated I am paying £37.99 for the 1mb service I subscribed to yes I am however the 1mb service is no longer available and has been upgraded to 1.5mb so by rights I should be on that speed, if not then NTL should reduce the cost of the 1mb service and offer that at a lower price
No, £37.99 is the price for 1meg. The extra 500 is for free.

Quote:

If I could go with any other cable company I would, Telewest managed to upgrade their network in a short period of time...NTL announced this 6 months or so ago and its still going on...Telewest announce it and bam within 2 weeks every area is upgraded.
How many customers and seperate networks does ntl have compared to Telewest???? You can't compare.

Quote:

Although there are not any ADSL companies that offer 750 or 1.5mb services there are cetainly many that offer a lot faster.

Bring on the day this shambles known as NTL ends up being bought out by a company that can actually run a proper service and listen to what their customers have to say instead of pretending to and then doing nothing about it.
ntl won't get bought out, so don't waste your time hoping.

Quote:

Just one question to anyone who works at NTL - why announce and upgrade you are nowhere near ready for?
Plenty of people have already had their (free) upgrades. ntl also stated ages ago that those with stbs won't be getting their (free) upgrade til October. What's the problem? :shrug:

Quote:

ust amazes me how our cable system is actually meant to be better than the one in the USA yet they can have their speeds up left right and centre no hassle, while us poor sods here can't even have that done without no end of trouble.
Well, we're not in America are we. :)