Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   150M : what splitter does VM use? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33706864)

SnoopZ 25-09-2018 10:07

what splitter does VM use?

After a 2nd repull which fixed my lack of TV channels i am left with power levels ranging from +10 to +15 and US of 32.5 which are measured at the Hub3.

My question is i still have an HDU-200 signal booster fitted, if i was to remove this and put the normal splitter on that VM use how much would that lower my downstream levels by and would it lower the upstream as that is already low?

I don't have this splitter so could someone also tell me which splitter it is and provide a picture and i may consider getting it myself.

Or do you think i should leave everything as it is if it is all working?

Thanks for the help.

pip08456 25-09-2018 10:09

Re: what splitter does VM use?

If it's working don't try to fix it.

SnoopZ 25-09-2018 10:12

I thought they are high though, would they increase in hot weather or go lower?

Its just a shame the first engineer took the splitter away when fitting the HDU.

I had a power level slope of -10 to +15 after that repull and the 2nd engineer suspects that repull wasn't taken all the way to the cabinet.

SirThomas 25-09-2018 10:20

Get an engineer out - +15 is waay to high!

No point using your own time trying to fix it. If you're seeing that kind of spread, there is something very wrong. If you're seeing highs of +15 I can only imagine that they've left you on a high tap in the cabinet.

Tom

SnoopZ 25-09-2018 10:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirThomas (Post 35964350)
Get an engineer out - +15 is waay to high!

No point using your own time trying to fix it. If you're seeing that kind of spread, there is something very wrong. If you're seeing highs of +15 I can only imagine that they've left you on a high tap in the cabinet.

Tom

The -10 to +15 was fixed with the second repull and everything is working fine, just trying to find out if i took the HDU out at the back of the TV and replaced it with a normal VM splitter how that would affect the power levels, can an engineer give me an idea what the levels would likely change to if i was to put the splitter back?

heero_yuy 25-09-2018 11:08

According to the data sheet for the HDU 200 it has unity gain forward and back. A splitter has a 6db loss in both directions so your down power would drop by that amount and your up power would increase by the same amount.

Given the values you have posted it would make the levels almost ideal.

The splitter I have has no model number on it.

HTH

SnoopZ 25-09-2018 12:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35964354)
According to the data sheet for the HDU 200 it has unity gain forward and back. A splitter has a 6db loss in both directions so your down power would drop by that amount and your up power would increase by the same amount.

Given the values you have posted it would make the levels almost ideal.

The splitter I have has no model number on it.

HTH

Thanks, so are you saying my US 32.5 would rise to 38.5 as you said i would get a signal loss in both directions?

---------- Post added at 11:58 ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 ----------

I have managed to find a VM splitter(VQ1002) which said 3.5dB on each port and i have replaced the HDU200 with it and now i think my power levels are alot better with a DS range of +5 to 10.4 and US is now 37.3.

Are these levels more desirable now?

---------- Post added at 12:14 ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 ----------

Can i lower the DS further with a Forward Path 3dB Attenuator as i have a couple here not in use?

heero_yuy 25-09-2018 13:08

Yes, yes and yes.

Keep an eye on your BQM. Seeing as you have the FPA's it's worth trying to get the levels close to ideal. Remember not to overtighten the couplings, good finger tight is really all that is needed.

SnoopZ 25-09-2018 13:11

Will the FPA change the US as I think those levels are pretty good now?

I will fit it in the morning.

heero_yuy 25-09-2018 13:31

It won't affect the US. As it's name implies it only attenuates in one direction, in this case forwards.

To complete the picture there are attenuators that work in both directions and also ones that only affect the reverse path.

SnoopZ 25-09-2018 13:34

Thanks for all the help.

SnoopZ 26-09-2018 09:46

With the 3dB FPA on my DS levels at Hub3 go from +8.5 to +3, should i leave it at this or should i put another 3dB FPA on next to the other 1 or is it not recommended to have 2 on?

heero_yuy 26-09-2018 11:13

I'd be a little concerned about a Chistmas tree on the back as it could strain the internal connection particularly if the cable got snagged. I'd leave it at that and monitor the connection quality.