Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Updated: Boris resigns as party leader (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710650)

Hugh 12-04-2022 15:20

Re: All those No.10 lockdown parties

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36118861)
It is a trivial matter to break lockdown rules.

---------- Post added at 15:12 ---------- Previous post was at 15:07 ----------

I guess it depends what you call ‘trivial’. It would not be trivial if it was an imprisonable offence.

The global pandemic was not trivial, I agree, but I don’t think partygate caused any deaths, do you?

Is it trivial he lied to Parliament about breaking lockdown rules?

Chris 12-04-2022 15:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36118861)
It is a trivial matter to break lockdown rules.

---------- Post added at 15:12 ---------- Previous post was at 15:07 ----------

I guess it depends what you call ‘trivial’. It would not be trivial if it was an imprisonable offence.

The global pandemic was not trivial, I agree, but I don’t think partygate caused any deaths, do you?

Again, when cornered your only recourse is to flip and start discussing the narrow issue of where the offence sits on the scale of criminal seriousness. That, as we have already established, and as you have admitted, is not the point.

Earlier you admitted there is a moral component to the behaviour of our leaders. It is in that moral area that this issue is anything but trivial, because the ‘grand scheme of things’ isn’t the standard scale of fixed penalty offences, it’s the question of whether our leaders model the behaviour they demand of their populations at times of national crisis.

GrimUpNorth 12-04-2022 15:28

So I'm just watching Wiggy on BBC news now rolling out the line that what does it matter if he was just having a quick drink at the end of the day after all, these are the people he'd been working with all day.

Pierre 12-04-2022 15:32

What will be in this story will be. I don’t see any need for him to resign or anything like that. Pay the fine and move on, I’m bored of it.

Damien 12-04-2022 15:38

He'll survive for the same reason he had the parties. The rules don't apply to him. Sunak might go though.

GrimUpNorth 12-04-2022 15:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 36118874)
He'll survive for the same reason he had the parties. The rules don't apply to him. Sunak might go though.

I think Sunak will go sooner rather than later, but Borris will try and hang on as long as he can but will have no choice but to go in the end, especially if he gets more fixed penalties. The one thing we won't see is Borris doing the honourable thing, because to do the honourable thing you need to be honourable and he just isn't and I doubt ever has been.

1andrew1 12-04-2022 15:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36118872)
What will be in this story will be. I don’t see any need for him to resign or anything like that. Pay the fine and move on, I’m bored of it.

Johnson needs to move out and then we can move on.

Ramrod 12-04-2022 15:52

Demonstrates that our rulers knew all along that the cov rules were b*ll*cks and not worth following.

BenMcr 12-04-2022 15:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramrod (Post 36118879)
Demonstrates that our rulers knew all along that the cov rules were b*ll*cks and not worth following.

They set the rules. They should have followed them.

Chris 12-04-2022 16:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramrod (Post 36118879)

No, it demonstrates that they thought they were able to be cautious enough in their own behaviour to mitigate their rule breaking and avoid spreading covid, while assuming that the Great Unwashed couldn’t be trusted and so must have the rules enforced with fines.

Whether or not that’s the case is a separate issue. The issue of concern now is whether those in leadership should lead by example at a time of crisis, and what they should do if they are found wanting.

Ramrod 12-04-2022 16:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 36118881)
They set the rules. They should have followed them.

I agree...but it does demonstrate that they knew that their own rules weren't worth following.
As someone of some meme said: "I'll be worried about this when the people who are telling me to be worried, are themselves worried"
Instead of that we had Prof Pantsdown shagging his mistress after telling us to 'stay home, lives depend on it' etc, etc......

Mad Max 12-04-2022 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36118872)

:clap::clap:

Ramrod 12-04-2022 16:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36118882)
No, it demonstrates that they thought they were able to be cautious enough in their own behaviour to mitigate their rule breaking and avoid spreading covid, while assuming that the Great Unwashed couldn’t be trusted and so must have the rules enforced with fines.

That's a charitable interpretation of what was going on in their minds.
Quote:

The issue of concern now is whether those in leadership should lead by example at a time of crisis, and what they should do if they are found wanting.
I wouldn't care much about this but let's not forget that parents were literally stopped from being at the bedside of their dying child. That's why my blood boils over this.

Damien 12-04-2022 16:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramrod (Post 36118883)
I agree...but it does demonstrate that they knew that their own rules weren't worth following.
As someone of some meme said: "I'll be worried about this when the people who are telling me to be worried, are themselves worried"
Instead of that we had Prof Pantsdown shagging his mistress after telling us to 'stay home, lives depend on it' etc, etc......

That guy himself resigned for breaking the laws he helped inform though. It seems the advisor who does it had to resign but the person with the actual power doesn't.

The thing is it doesn't matter if you think the rules were bollocks or needed. The point is, as you say, that they made it a legal requirement to follow them but disobeyed it themselves. There is also the lying to Parliament thing.

Mr K 12-04-2022 16:31

First sitting PM to break the law. His own law. He's a very naughty boy, and a hypocrite. The rest of us can feel free to ignore the law too. Those that followed the rules over the last couple of years won't forgive him, or his party
if they continue to support him.