Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Other Digital TV Services Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Talking Pictures in trouble for showing racist material again. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709783)

RichardCoulter 13-02-2021 20:53

Talking Pictures in trouble for showing racist material again.
 
From Thursday's Times:

'A family-run television channel specialising in nostalgic programmes faces an Ofcom investigation for broadcasting a 1970s series that shows actors in blackface.
The media watchdog decided to begin a full inquiry after one viewer complained about an episode of Rogue’s Rock that was screened by Talking Pictures TV on Boxing Day.'

This is the 3rd or 4th time that Talking Pictures have fallen foul of Ofcom. Other issues include broadcasting archive films containing the N word and the word 'wog'.

I suspect that they wound up Ofcom by 'daring' to dispute their ruling in 2018 by attempting to seek a resolution.

The problem is that Ofcom could revoke their licence to broadcast or impose a fine which, if large enough, could put them out of business (Talking Pictures have said in the recent past that their ad revenue has nosedived as a result of covid).

I have noticed that they now start some programmes with a warning along the lines of "This programme contains language of the time, which todays viewers may find offensive". Clearly this isn't good enough for Ofcom.

Should TPTV stand up for what they believe and risk going off air, or should they humbly doff their cap, apologise to Ofcom and do as they say? Ultimately it will be for the owners to decide which is more important to them, their business or their principles.

Paul 13-02-2021 21:06

Re: Talking Pictures in trouble for showing racist material again.
 
Ofcom should go **** themselves.

... and take the idiots who have nothing better to do than complain with them.

FFS, No one forces anyone to watch TV, and they all have channel change and off buttons.

Some people really really need to get out more, and stop being snowflake whingy whiners.

Mr K 13-02-2021 21:14

Re: Talking Pictures in trouble for showing racist material again.
 
They issue warnings ahead of some of heir films that they represent archaic views as they were....
It would be a shame if we were deprived of some classic films. You can appreciate these films without necessarily agreeing with everything in them. We'll just be left with sickly made for TV American drivel 'family' films otherwise.

RichardCoulter 13-02-2021 21:40

Re: Talking Pictures in trouble for showing racist material again.
 
I agree. Historical TV & films should be seen as social history and shouldn't be judged on what society thinks today.

The former BBC Chairman, Lord Grade, said yesterday that he didn't agree with this:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...sides-culture/

It's behind a paywall, but shows enough to confirm my claim. It would be great if someone with a subscription could let us know what it says in full.

I wonder if it's a generational thing? Older people seem to have a balanced view on things like this, but the (usually young) 'woke' generation are not helping the people they claim they want to protect. Whitewashing over the terms of yesteryear does nobody any favours and it's good to show the things that were deemed acceptable in the past.

I've come across 'woke' people calling people who have been vehemently anti racist all their lives being accused of racism for the most spurious of reasons. In fact, i'd probably be accused of being a racist for using the term whitewashing!!!

Edit: Think i've found a free version by searching for this. It won't allow me to copy the link for some reason:

Exclusive: Former BBC chairman urges Ofcom not to 'take sides in culture war' by banning blackface on TV

OLD BOY 13-02-2021 21:44

Re: Talking Pictures in trouble for showing racist material again.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36070499)
From Thursday's Times:

'A family-run television channel specialising in nostalgic programmes faces an Ofcom investigation for broadcasting a 1970s series that shows actors in blackface.
The media watchdog decided to begin a full inquiry after one viewer complained about an episode of Rogue’s Rock that was screened by Talking Pictures TV on Boxing Day.'

This is the 3rd or 4th time that Talking Pictures have fallen foul of Ofcom. Other issues include broadcasting archive films containing the N word and the word 'wog'.

I suspect that they wound up Ofcom by 'daring' to dispute their ruling in 2018 by attempting to seek a resolution.

The problem is that Ofcom could revoke their licence to broadcast or impose a fine which, if large enough, could put them out of business (Talking Pictures have said in the recent past that their ad revenue has nosedived as a result of covid).

I have noticed that they now start some programmes with a warning along the lines of "This programme contains language of the time, which todays viewers may find offensive". Clearly this isn't good enough for Ofcom.

Should TPTV stand up for what they believe and risk going off air, or should they humbly doff their cap, apologise to Ofcom and do as they say? Ultimately it will be for the owners to decide which is more important to them, their business or their principles.

So OFCOM is paralysed with angst because one Woke idiot complained!

What kind of society are we becoming? Absolutely pathetic!

---------- Post added at 21:44 ---------- Previous post was at 21:43 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36070507)
They issue warnings ahead of some of heir films that they represent archaic views as they were....
It would be a shame if we were deprived of some classic films. You can appreciate these films without necessarily agreeing with everything in them. We'll just be left with sickly made for TV American drivel 'family' films otherwise.

I am so pleased to be able to agree with you on this, Mr K.

awesometeeth 14-02-2021 00:07

Re: Talking Pictures in trouble for showing racist material again.
 
snowflakes, woke idiot.

you cannot escape lost men identity politics anywhere online it seems....

the actual snowflakes are those who get constantly wound up about what ofcom does or doesnt do. the woke idiots are the ones who spend their entire lives being the flip side of the coin they rage against.


who gives a toss about weird bureaucracy at ofcom let it go. the fact people rage about this irrelevant stuff is the real issue, dont you guys have better things to do with your lives than get worked up about pointless irrelevant ofcom?

OLD BOY 14-02-2021 01:20

Re: Talking Pictures in trouble for showing racist material again.
 
Woke and idiot are two words that match so exactly. We must stop taking these people seriously. Most people are turned off by these people, so why are we taking their opinions seriously?

Really, as a nation, we need to wake up and get real!

Maggy 14-02-2021 09:46

Re: Talking Pictures in trouble for showing racist material again.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36070504)
Ofcom should go **** themselves.

... and take the idiots who have nothing better to do than complain with them.

FFS, No one forces anyone to watch TV, and they all have channel change and off buttons.

Some people really really need to get out more, and stop being snowflake whingy whiners.

:tu:

denphone 14-02-2021 10:00

Re: Talking Pictures in trouble for showing racist material again.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36070507)
They issue warnings ahead of some of heir films that they represent archaic views as they were....
It would be a shame if we were deprived of some classic films. You can appreciate these films without necessarily agreeing with everything in them. We'll just be left with sickly made for TV American drivel 'family' films otherwise.

Exactly as if people don't like this channel then they know where the remote is.

Raider999 14-02-2021 11:05

Re: Talking Pictures in trouble for showing racist material again.
 
Totally agree, no one forces anyone to watch these programmes(at least to my knowledge) - put up a warning before each programme and people make their choice.

Totally fed up with the woke minority trying to change historical items be it statues, broadcasts, college/pub names etc.

If you want to live by these ideas, fine - just don't force them on the rest of us.

awesometeeth 14-02-2021 16:39

Re: Talking Pictures in trouble for showing racist material again.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36070560)
Woke and idiot are two words that match so exactly. We must stop taking these people seriously. Most people are turned off by these people, so why are we taking their opinions seriously?

Really, as a nation, we need to wake up and get real!

seems ive loaded up the daily mail by mistake :D

you guys are funny, the flip side of the silly coin

Hugh 14-02-2021 16:58

Re: Talking Pictures in trouble for showing racist material again.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by awesometeeth (Post 36070655)
seems ive loaded up the daily mail by mistake :D

you guys are funny, the flip side of the silly coin

"woke" is the 2020's version of "politically correct"...

You can tell a lot about people if they use it... ;)

Pierre 15-02-2021 22:05

Re: Talking Pictures in trouble for showing racist material again.
 
TPTV is a great channel.

Judging movies through time by today’s standards is pathetic, and anyone doing such should be listened to and then ignored, for being an idiot.

Revisionism is a very dangerous path.

RichardCoulter 15-02-2021 23:42

Re: Talking Pictures in trouble for showing racist material again.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36070660)
"woke" is the 2020's version of "politically correct"...

You can tell a lot about people if they use it... ;)

Do you think that wokeism is counter productive (as I do)?

---------- Post added at 23:38 ---------- Previous post was at 23:37 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36070828)
TPTV is a great channel.

Judging movies through time by today’s standards is pathetic, and anyone doing such should be listened to and then ignored, for being an idiot.

Revisionism is a very dangerous path.

Totally agree.

---------- Post added at 23:42 ---------- Previous post was at 23:38 ----------

These are the details of a letter sent to Ofcom by the former chairman of the BBC, Lord Grade. It's from https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...sides-culture/ which is mostly behind a paywall:

Ofcom must not "take sides in the culture war" by banning blackface on TV, a former chairman of the BBC has warned.

Lord Grade of Yarmouth has written to the regulator saying that its investigation into a family-run television channel for showing a 1970s TV programme could set a "dangerous precedent".

The media watchdog is investigating whether Talking Pictures TV breached standards by broadcasting an episode of Rogue's Rock on Boxing Day. The comedy adventure show, known for outlandish plots, ran for three series on ITV in the mid-1970s.

In a letter to Dame Melanie Dawes, the Ofcom chief executive – seen by The Telegraph, Lord Grade said he is "deeply troubled" by the investigation and warns that any sanction would "ultimately be politically correct censorship".

It is understood the regulator launched its investigation, which is ongoing, after a single complaint about the channel.

Lord Grade said: "It risks Ofcom being seen to take sides in the national debate, or culture war as some might describe it. Worse, it risks ridicule. There is a national debate raging about how we acknowledge our past, in statues, in historic buildings and museums etc. Some of this debate is healthy, some not."

Lord Grade said the investigation served only to "patronise, infantilise and demean" the intelligence of the audience, and if Ofcom sanctioned Talking Pictures it would also have to ban Gone With the Wind and Orson Welles' Othello.

He warned the regulator not to follow in the footsteps of the National Trust, which "is under intense and formal scrutiny for its alleged 'woke proselytising'."

Lord Grade said the Trust has failed to recognise that what appeared to be public debate "is the attempt by extreme political activists to impose their narrow and destructive agenda and taste on the rest of us". He added: "I seek reassurance that your pursuit of Talking Pictures is not evidence that Ofcom is being 'captured'."

Talking Pictures TV, run by father and daughter in Watford, attracts 3.5 million viewers a week. It faces a fine if it is found to have breached broadcasting standards. Lord Grade said the channel "adds greatly" to viewers' choice and introduces younger audiences to "the very different, historic social attitudes inherent" in shows of yesteryear.
As a result of broadcasting content made "before society embraced diversity and multi-culturalism" it will "inevitably breach what are today regarded as acceptable standards", he said. But he added that deciding to investigate and potentially punish the channel "is a serious error of judgment and a very worrying precedent".

While there is a line about what it is and is not acceptable, it is down to the broadcaster not the regulator to make that decision, Lord Grade said.

"What next? Will Ofcom want to see Olivier's Richard III banned since he only pretended to be physically handicapped?" he asked. "Under your Talking Pictures probe, to be consistent, you MUST make sure Gone with the Wind is locked in the vault for its stereotypical portrayal (an Oscar-winning performance) of a black maid servant. Another one for your hit list: Orson Welles blacked up to play Othello in his movie.

"We, the audience, are not so stupid that we do not understand full well that these films and TV shows were the product of another age (the scratchy black and white prints are a clue)."

A spokesman for Ofcom said: "Our investigation is in its early stages and we have not yet drawn any conclusions about whether the content has or has not breached broadcasting rules."

Dude111 16-02-2021 03:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul
Ofcom should go **** themselves.

Indeed....No one forces anyone to view content like ya said Paul,they just dont want ANYPONE TO SEE IT just because they dont like it which is crap!!


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 16:46.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.