Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Television (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Streaming : Tribes of Europa (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709815)

Chris 20-02-2021 22:31

Tribes of Europa

Thought I’d start a thread on this as it’s trending on Netflix (7th in the UK at time of writing). It’s a post-apocalyptic drama set in Central Europe, and tells the story of competing tribes who are variously trying to hide in the woods, or else either protect, or steal, technology from Atlantis, apparently the last surviving high tech civilisation left on earth after some mysterious global catastrophe.

Lead male is a teenager called Elija, who has been tasked with protecting a mysterious Atlantean message cube. Lead female is his older sister, Liv. She’s a bit of a Katniss Everdeen figure. He’s not unlike Will Parker, if you can remember the BBC’s adaptation of The Tripods.

Netflix offers it dubbed in English by default, but the original dialogue track is actually multi-lingual as different tribes appear in the story. The best way to view it is with dialogue set to German 5.1, with English subtitles (not English CC, as this may subtitle characters even when they’re actually speaking English, which they do about 10% of the time so far).

If you like the Hunger Games, The Tripods, Divergent and similar dystopian future sci-fi/fantasy it’s worth a go.

pip08456 20-02-2021 23:05

Re: Tribes of Europa

Looks interesting.

Paul 21-02-2021 00:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36071462)
Netflix offers it dubbed in English by default, but the original dialogue track is actually multi-lingual as different tribes appear in the story. The best way to view it is with dialogue set to German 5.1, with English subtitles.

I've been checking it out in English, as I prefer not to use subtitles.

Chris 21-02-2021 00:47

Yeah, it’s a compromise either way but I tend to find dubbed dialogue more distracting than subtitles. The dubbed language never really fits the space required for the original language so the pace of the speech is never quite right. And the audio mix is often substandard (it certainly is in this case, as you can tell if you start with the dubbed dialogue and then switch over - the audio mix is much superior in German). Plus in this show a small but significant chunk of the dialogue is in English anyway. All the principal cast speaks English at one time or another as it appears to be the common second language shared by the various tribes. As I’ve only watched the first 10 minutes of episode 1 with English dubbing I don’t know what they do when the characters start speaking English anyway. Presumably the English overdubbing has to continue for consistency.

General Maximus 22-02-2021 20:26

I am going to give it a go tonight. From the trailer I thought it very much looked like a spin on The 100 which isn't a bad thing. I'll be watching it with subtitles, I have seen many
foreign language movies and tv series and the subtitled ones are always better at conveying the essence of the movie/series where it be correct translation or emotion in the actor's voice etc.

Chris 22-02-2021 20:53

It’s the correct emotional component to the dialogue that’s key for me. The actor has spent a lot of time building their character and their dialogue delivery is part of the fruit of that process. Dubbed dialogue just never quite gets the nuance right.

General Maximus 22-02-2021 21:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36071651)
It’s the correct emotional component to the dialogue that’s key for me. The actor has spent a lot of time building their character and their dialogue delivery is part of the fruit of that process. Dubbed dialogue just never quite gets the nuance right.

What i wanted to say :D It is very evident in films like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and series like Kingdom. Just as we say sound quality is just as important as picture quality these days; voice is as equally as important as diaglogue/english. You can watch something like Kingdom (in Korean) and understand what is happening and being conveyed without actually knowing what they are saying.

Paul 23-02-2021 06:24

Ive watched the first two episodes in English, and its been perfectly fine.

noel43 23-02-2021 10:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36071675)
Ive watched the first two episodes in English, and its been perfectly fine.

Watched whole series, loved it.

Paul 23-02-2021 15:12

I'm watching one episode per day, so I'll be done by the weekend.

Chris 23-02-2021 15:25

Unfortunately because we’re watching with subtitles, we’re only going to see about 1 per week because missus usually has her work laptop out in the evening so she can’t concentrate on the tv enough to read the dialogue :D

General Maximus 23-02-2021 15:59

I watched the first two last night and will probably watch the next two tonight

General Maximus 25-02-2021 11:13

It gathered momentum and got better as it went on but the problem is that there are only 6 episodes; it finished just as it got started. I defo think this would have benefited from at least a 10 episode season. If it doesn't get renewed the whole thing will have been a waste of time.

Paul 25-02-2021 21:46

Im up to 4 now, may just finish it off tonight. Enjoyed it so far.

General Maximus 27-02-2021 19:12

If anyone is interested it was filmed in the Czech Republic. Some of the locations and shots were stunning and reminiscent of those in See and I was very curious as to where it was filmed as it obviously wasn't Canada being a European-centric story.