Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Superhub : Wi-Fi upgrade email (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33709809)

NoCableForMe 19-02-2021 17:18

Wi-Fi upgrade email

Just got this, sounds like marketing rubbish. What have they actaully done without repalcing the hardware, apart from admitting it was previously cr@p.

Intelligent WiFi just got smarter
We’ve upgraded
your home WiFi.
Hello

We’ve been busy upgrading our Intelligent WiFi tech to give you our most reliable WiFi experience with your Hub 3.

The good news is this new-and-improved WiFi is now live in your home, at no extra cost.

Here’s what it means to you:
WiFi you can really rely on
We’ve built on the original Intelligent WiFi tech to make sure your gadgets are on the right frequency they need to do their thing. The new update looks at your WiFi use over the past few days at different times of the day to make sure everything’s in tip-top shape. This means a faster and even more reliable WiFi connection, especially if your devices move around a lot.

And here’s what’s coming soon:
Keep more devices whizzing around faster
With so many devices gobbling up your WiFi at the moment, things can get a little busy. Our latest update helps your data-hungry gadgets dodge WiFi traffic to keep things moving along and prevent those pesky WiFi drops.
Enjoy!
The Virgin Media team

Mr K 19-02-2021 17:22

Re: Wi-Fi upgrade email

Opt out of marketing for everything ( and never give your phone no out). If there's something genuinely to your benefit going i usually find out on forums like this.

Gavin-D 19-02-2021 17:22

Just had the same email must be justifying the price rise next month.

Mr K 19-02-2021 17:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin-D (Post 36071277)
Just had the same email must be justifying the price rise next month.

I seem to of opted out of that too as I haven't been told about any rise ;)

Rankrotten 19-02-2021 18:46

I got the same email but with Hub 3 replaced by Hub 4

admars 19-02-2021 19:52

I had it as well, I assume it's a software/firmware update for the roll out of the "intelligent" wifi pods for those that pay extra for it?

the current software on them to auto switch for old/net devices doesn't work very well, so it could be that they've improved that.

vincerooney 19-02-2021 21:34

aye i got that email. saw the subject and got excited and then read it and thought "i literally have no idea what this means"

kgollop 19-02-2021 22:44

I had the email too, found this article which I guess it relates to: https://www.virginmedia.com/corporat...gent-wifi-plus

Brunel 20-02-2021 11:44

It is no longer possible to have Wi-Fi turned off so that you can use your own access points instead of Hub.

If Wi-Fi is disabled on Hub, it will auto re-enable, with one SSID

Sceptical 20-02-2021 14:02

Probably paranoia but reading the same e-mail I instantly heard alarm bells - "looks at your WiFi use over the past few days at different times of the day to make sure everything’s in tip-top shape" - I read snooping on what you're doing and where! Maybe I'm wrong but this looks prime for data harvesting.
Interesting you can't disable the Hub 3 WiFi..... can it still get data when you don't log in through the Hub 3 WiFi and, go through a mesh system, I use the Linksys Velop and nothing logs in through the Hub 3 (hard wired to the Velop)?

SnoopZ 20-02-2021 15:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sceptical (Post 36071401)
Probably paranoia but reading the same e-mail I instantly heard alarm bells - "looks at your WiFi use over the past few days at different times of the day to make sure everything’s in tip-top shape" - I read snooping on what you're doing and where! Maybe I'm wrong but this looks prime for data harvesting.
Interesting you can't disable the Hub 3 WiFi..... can it still get data when you don't log in through the Hub 3 WiFi and, go through a mesh system, I use the Linksys Velop and nothing logs in through the Hub 3 (hard wired to the Velop)?

Welcome to the forum.

You can disable the Hub3 WiFi.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/vir...ess#hub3orhub4

Skie 20-02-2021 16:19

Man I'm so glad they've upgraded my 3 Unifi APs, how nice of them. All whilst my Hub3 was in modem mode too!

Brunel 20-02-2021 17:26

@ SnoopZ

"You can disable the Hub3 WiFi."

I can.....BUT.... it keeps on enabling. This has happened since the Wi-Fi updates.
No problem, whilst on the POD Trial.

But I may want to return to my Home brew access points.

Brunel 20-02-2021 19:53

3 Attachment(s)
Looking at the Wi-Fi signals using WiFianalyzer, I notice a very large signal eminating from the Hub3 marked as .. Hidden SSID both on 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz.
neither of these are visible in the normal Wi-Fi network settings on my 'phone.
Both have a completely different MAC address.

Itshim 21-02-2021 12:25

So in very simple terms. What do l get out of it. Just to add l can't see any change .