Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Networking (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Splitting Broadband into two LAN's (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707488)

Halcyon 13-03-2019 09:36

Splitting Broadband into two LAN's

Hey everyone,

I've moved over to Sky so have a Sky Q Router and wondered what would be the best way of splitting my connection to provide two seperate LAN's that do NOT see each other.
The reason for this is to seperate my IOT gadgets, etc on one LAN and my private NAS, computers, etc on another.

Now I thought about using a ubiquiti security gateway that provides two ports and each would be a seprate LAN. This would go into my Sky router. (Yes I know it would be double NAT)
But this means I would then need two extra switches into those LAN ports to give me ports to connect to.

Is there another way via a VLAN switch that could go straight into the Sky router?
Then seperate ports belong to a different VLAN. Or would the switch not be able to do routing to the web (sky router)?

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thankyou.

mrmistoffelees 13-03-2019 10:20

Re: Splitting Broadband into two LAN's

You will need an L3 switch and move routing/DHCP onto it.

VLAN interfaces and static routes to forward traffic from switch to router

Halcyon 14-03-2019 09:18

I thought I may need a Layer3 switch. Thanks for your reply.

They are quite expensive so maybe the Security gateway and some cheap switches may be the plan for the moment.

tweetiepooh 15-03-2019 12:12

If the IOT stuff is wireless can you use guest network for those?

Devices like Netgear GS108Tv2 - 8 port gigabit managed switch for £57 on Amazon.

Halcyon 15-03-2019 14:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 35986778)
If the IOT stuff is wireless can you use guest network for those?

Devices like Netgear GS108Tv2 - 8 port gigabit managed switch for £57 on Amazon.

Thanks tweetiepooh. Some are Wireless, some Ethernet so unfortunately a Guest Mode router wouldnt work.

mrmistoffelees 15-03-2019 14:49

Do you have to use the sky q router?

You could go down the used 2nd hand Juniper/netscreen device (or similar) and then an l2 switch and simply trunk the vlans across

Uncle Peter 15-03-2019 18:34

USG will support the VLAN tagging and DHCP functions required for this use case but unless you can put the Sky CPE into modem only mode (which I am sure someone will confirm that you cannot) then I wouldn't bother with the extra bump in the road.

Halcyon 20-03-2019 11:24

Thanks everyone.

You are right, the Sky equipment cant be put in to modem only mode.

The USG wouldnt have enough ports but an UBIQUITI Networks EdgeRouter would have suffiecient ports.
Im thinking Sky router, then the Edgrouter and then restricting ports/firewall rules for each port.

Uncle Peter 20-03-2019 12:04

You should be able to a secondhand Cisco or Juniper small business L3 switch for around the ton mark.

There's an SG300-10 going on fleabay at the for 100 quid right now. IIRC that'll give you up to 8 DHCP pools so plenty enough to service your wired and wireless infrastructure.