Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : Changes to Virgin TV (2022) (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710709)

spiderplant 19-03-2022 16:37

Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2022)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rillington (Post 36117012)
I do though fail to understand why they allow TV-only customers access to Netflix but not to Amazon Prime.

There isn't enough memory in those boxes to add more apps

OLD BOY 19-03-2022 18:22

Quote:

I have to say that I agree re the iPlayer although YouTube generally works perfectly well.

I do though fail to understand why they allow TV-only customers access to Netflix but not to Amazon Prime. I feel that this is maybe a business decision to run down the offer for TV-only customers. I believe that ever more streaming services are being launched, none of which are available to TV-only customers, and some of them are part of the VM offer and offered at no extra change which means that it is possible that TV-only customers may well be paying for services that VM is not allowing them to access.

The answer if you want Prime is to get a more modern box. There's no point in VM adding it if it won't work with the outdated technology.

vincerooney 19-03-2022 20:09

Can someone explain to me what on earth itvX will be? i've read the press release and i can't get my head around it...

basically they will have

1) ITV Player
2) Britbox for exclusive shows in partnership with BBC
3) ITV X to air exclusive ITV Shows in advance of them appearing on the ITV channels.

Utter nonsense it seems to me to just keep releasing more and more streaming services...

Do we as VM customers get anything for free from ITV X?

Media Boy UK 19-03-2022 20:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 36117040)
Can someone explain to me what on earth itvX will be? i've read the press release and i can't get my head around it...

basically they will have

1) ITV Player
3) ITV X to air exclusive ITV Shows in advance of them appearing on the ITV channels.

Utter nonsense it seems to me to just keep releasing more and more streaming services...

ITV did buy BBC 10% share in Britbox UK.

ITV Player and Britbox UK is set to merge to become known as ITV X.

Seen reports that ITV X will be on Virgin Media from launch. https://rxtvinfo.com/2022/britbox-ar...n-virgin-media

Mad Max 19-03-2022 21:02

Quote:

basically they will have

1) ITV Player

You're not wrong mate, there's enough shit on as it is.

TimeLord2018 19-03-2022 21:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy UK (Post 36117043)
ITV did buy BBC 10% share in Britbox UK.

ITV Player and Britbox UK is set to merge to become known as ITV X.

Seen reports that ITV X will be on Virgin Media from launch. https://rxtvinfo.com/2022/britbox-ar...n-virgin-media

It was confirmed in the press release , see Post 590
Quote:

From the launch of ITVX later this year BritBox will also be available to Virgin TV customers within the premium tier of the new ITVX app on Virgin Media O2’s TV platform.

RichardCoulter 19-03-2022 21:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36117030)
The answer if you want Prime is to get a more modern box. There's no point in VM adding it if it won't work with the outdated technology.

The trouble is that TV only customers can't upgrade to a more modern box, so have to use the old TiVo.

cheekyangus 19-03-2022 21:56

Quote:

basically they will have

1) ITV Player

It's a replacement for ITV Hub, so on the Free tier you will get what as you do now. The other elements are for the Pay tier. Whether VM will give us that as part of our sub is not known yet.

BenMcr 19-03-2022 22:05

Quote:

I do though fail to understand why they allow TV-only customers access to Netflix but not to Amazon Prime.

Netflix has been on TiVo for years before the V6 box launched, whereas Prime Video didn't launch until after the V6 did so the choices were different for both Virgin Media and Amazon.

SonicMaster 20-03-2022 08:52

Quote:

basically they will have

1) ITV Player

That's not correct, it's not another streaming service, it's a combining of their existing streaming services and the addition of new content.

I don't think ITV Player has been used as a brand for 6+ years.

'ITVX, which will replace ITV Hub, ITV Hub+ and BritBox UK when it launches...'

https://www.reuters.com/business/med...rm-2022-03-03/

OLD BOY 20-03-2022 10:09

Quote:

basically they will have

1) ITV Player

The replies above explain it, but basically ITV is modernising itself in preparation for the changeover to IPTV. This is likely to be a much more attractive proposition than Britbox and ITV Hub on their own. Britbox has mainly old material on it, which will not attract the kind of numbers they may have originally envisaged. The promised new material for ITVX should ensure that it is more successful.

Media Boy UK 20-03-2022 11:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36117077)
The replies above explain it, but basically ITV is modernising itself in preparation for the changeover to IPTV. This is likely to be a much more attractive proposition than Britbox and ITV Hub on their own. Britbox has mainly old material on it, which will not attract the kind of numbers they may have originally envisaged. The promised new material for ITVX should ensure that it is more successful.

but to me ITV X sound like a well known adult channel.

cheekyangus 20-03-2022 11:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy UK (Post 36117082)

Just wait until ITV tell you it's pronounced Cross, like the button on PlayStation controllers. :D

OLD BOY 20-03-2022 13:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy UK (Post 36117082)

No, that’s ITVXXX. :D

TimeLord2018 20-03-2022 13:26

There is a video on ITV Website showing and explaining what ITVX is and how britbox will work on it
https://www.itvmedia.co.uk/making-an...u-need-to-know