Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Multiple fatalities in Plymouth (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710305)

Jimmy-J 12-08-2021 22:00

Multiple fatalities in Plymouth

5 Confirmed dead 6 including the shooter.

Quote:

Several people are feared to have been shot dead tonight in a 'serious and tragic' incident in Plymouth tonight following reports of 'loud bangs' and 'gun shots' in the area.

The Hazardous Area Response Unit (HART), National Police Air Service and around three air ambulances raced to the scene in North Prospect following reports of multiple fatalities after at least 'two people' were shot in the area near St Levan's Road just after 6pm.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Plymouth.html

---------- Post added at 22:00 ---------- Previous post was at 21:20 ----------

Dude111 13-08-2021 07:56

Very sad...... Im glad the shooter is also gone :(

denphone 13-08-2021 09:44

Re: Multiple fatalities in Plymouth

A terribly sad day for our city.:(

Chris 13-08-2021 10:36

Dreadful, and all the more shocking because these events are so rare here.

The Telegraph has done some background on the murderer - in time I suspect we will discover that there could, and probably should, have been some sort of mental healthcare intervention long before now.

This article looks like it’s not paywalled via Apple News: https://apple.news/AS26zSZ6sT6yl6npFS9ecRg

Quote:

The suspected Plymouth shooter described being “defeated by life” in videos recorded just weeks before the massacre, as he blamed his troubles on not having a girlfriend.
Jake Davison, a 23-year-old apprentice crane operator, described himself on his YouTube channel as an ‘incel’ and made references to the ‘blackpill’ philosophy to which the radical fringe group subscribes.

Tinky 13-08-2021 10:37

Apparently his parents are among the dead. He blames not being able to lose weight and attract a girlfriend as part reasons for the shooting, pathetic.
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/plymouth-s...073537933.html

denphone 13-08-2021 11:05

l saw the video the morning and although l am clearly no expert on mental illness to me he looked mentally very unstable and was rambling incoherently all the time.

Damien 13-08-2021 11:39

It's early but these 'Red Pill/Black Pill movements' that target vulnerable and isolated young men on the Internet need to be looked at. It's a rabbit hole of YouTube videos, personalities and communities that draw them in and seem to radialise them.

I am not sure that's what happened here but he clearly tapped into that world somehow and we've seen it before in the U.S.

Maggy 13-08-2021 12:41

More to the point how did he happen to have a shotgun?

Chris 13-08-2021 12:46

Shotguns and rifles can be legally owned in the UK, which means they are easier to come by. You have to have proper criminal connections to get hold of the sort of stuff regularly used in mass shootings in America: pistols, semi automatics and the like, because there is no legal means of owning one, so there are no country sports shops where you can buy one. I imagine most farms have a shotgun somewhere - one could be taken in a burglary and then sold by a man down the pub, or something similar. I imagine this person’s internet habits made it easier for him to find someone willing to sell.

joglynne 13-08-2021 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy (Post 36089687)
More to the point how did he happen to have a shotgun?

In the report I heard on BBC TV it said he was a member of a gun club and held a gun licence.

Hom3r 13-08-2021 12:52

Shotguns are relatively easy to get, once you pass the police checks, and have a lockable shotgun cabinet.

A guy I worked with had about 6, they were various types, used them for grouse hunting and on a farm for pest control, as well as belonging to a gun club

denphone 13-08-2021 12:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by joglynne (Post 36089692)
In the report I heard on BBC TV it said he was a member of a gun club and held a gun licence.

You are quite right as the Chief Constable in his press conference about a hour ago stated that he did hold a gun licence.

mrmistoffelees 13-08-2021 13:05

IF as reported it was a pump action shotgun that was used I’m pretty sure these are banned in the U.K. ?

IF mental health played a part (which initially it would appear that it does) then in due time there needs to be (and I’m sure there will be) an investigation into how the individual was allowed a firearms permit

Chris 13-08-2021 13:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 36089696)
IF as reported it was a pump action shotgun that was used I’m pretty sure these are banned in the U.K. ?

IF mental health played a part (which initially it would appear that it does) then in due time there needs to be (and I’m sure there will be) an investigation into how the individual was allowed a firearms permit

Pump-action shotguns are indeed illegal, but if he was a gun club member then he is several steps closer to the sort of people who might know someone who knows someone.

mrmistoffelees 13-08-2021 13:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36089697)
Pump-action shotguns are indeed illegal, but if he was a gun club member then he is several steps closer to the sort of people who might know someone who knows someone.

Indeed, my knowledge of firearms licensing is fading as I’m no longer directly working with the police but I thought recertification and inspections were required on an annual basis. Not that this may have stopped events occurring.

YouTube have just announced they’ve terminated his account, a tad late me thinks:(