Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Moans and Pet Hates - Part 8 (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33698080)

tweetiepooh 05-06-2020 13:59

Re: Moans and Pet Hates part 8

For Linux, Mint is pretty good, most things just work and the desktop (Cinnamon) is very nice BUT there is a spat developing between Mint and Canonical who make Ubuntu on which it's based.

I use OpenSuse and a new version is out soon. You may want to check out OpenSuse Tumbleweed which is a rolling distro, updates are a little tricky (you should use a command rather than the desktop app) but because it's a rolling distro you never need to upgrade it. KDE is a great desktop but does need a bit of oomph to use fully and properly.

What is nice about Linux is you can use live distro's to prove all your hardware is compatible before you install it. Some people can get quite excitable for and against certain hardware depending on how the vendor supports Linux (open/closed source drivers).

Carth 05-06-2020 15:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 36038457)

What is nice about Linux is you can use live distro's to prove all your hardware is compatible before you install it.

I've lost count of the various distro's I've downloaded and 'live tested' on a couple of ancient laptops (a 10yr old and a 14yr old). Amazing that many often work fine, some just need an audio or network tweak. ;)

tweetiepooh 05-06-2020 16:56

I have had a couple of instance where the live distro worked fine but once installed wireless didn't and visa-versa so having an ethernet cable can be helpful.

SnoopZ 06-06-2020 11:50

Had to put the heating back on!

denphone 06-06-2020 11:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36038587)

Yeah it certainly was far more chillier this morning SnoopZ.

nashville 06-06-2020 14:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36038587)

Me too, turned really cold again

raging bull 07-06-2020 08:03

Sorry to say that no gas central heating here!
All electic with overnight storage, if a sudden drop in temperature overnight we put a cardigan on.
Touching wood SWMBO not complaining as yet.

nashville 07-06-2020 11:56

Lock Down beginning to tell on me , you waken up in the morning and forget what day it is, I keep telling myself there are two people in the house, some people are on their own, we can go out for shopping , some others cannot do this at all. People have lost loved ones, so I should be thankful for small mercies, Sorry but I just feel so depressed today. Maybe I will feel better after sharing with you all. Sorry. Take Care all

joglynne 07-06-2020 13:26

I live in a world where my normal is social distancing so thought that I would be able to cope with so many other people being asked to do the same. I have seen all my family and friends adapt to the way I have had to live for the past 10 years but I guess I never truly appreciated how much they all protect me.

I want them to be protected as they protect me.

Seeing the numbers of people who now seem to ignore the need to control the spread of CV19 makes me want to scream with frustration. OK, so many have been infected and recovered with little need for NHS involvement but thousands have not been so lucky. I don't understand how many people can't accept what still needs to be done.

Altruistic self-interest and boredom seems to be taking over and I hate it.

Sorry for the rant.

denphone 07-06-2020 13:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by joglynne (Post 36038722)
I live in a world where my normal is social distancing so thought that I would be able to cope with so many other people being asked to do the same. I have seen all my family and friends adapt to the way I have had to live for the past 10 years but I guess I never truly appreciated how much they all protect me.

Seeing the numbers of people who now seem to ignore the need to control the spread of CV19 makes me want to scream with frustration. OK, so many have been infected and recovered with little need for NHS involvement but thousands have not been so lucky. I don't understand how many people can't accept what still needs to be done.

Sorry for the rant.

You are not having a rant jo l can assure you as l agree very much with the sentiments of your post 100%.:tu:

Maggy 07-06-2020 13:36

Quote:

Sorry for the rant.

I feel your frustration.I'm annoyed by this government's deciding to allow everyone out before the deaths were as low as single or double figures especially for shielding vulnerable like my husband.

TheDaddy 08-06-2020 00:56

Quote:

Sorry for the rant.

Been saying similar since lockdown began or so it seems and from what I've noticed people fall into two categories now, those that take it seriously and them that don't, trouble is the former won't prolong the pain for everyone, the latter will

tweetiepooh 08-06-2020 11:14

Our electric shower has stopped working (low pressure alarm). We have softened water so it won't be scale. We (should) have cover with Triton but getting through to them isn't easy. You end up at a mobile voicemail and leave a message. Later in day the box is full.
Fortunately we have another shower so can keep clean.

Chris 08-06-2020 11:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by tweetiepooh (Post 36038868)
Our electric shower has stopped working (low pressure alarm). We have softened water so it won't be scale. We (should) have cover with Triton but getting through to them isn't easy. You end up at a mobile voicemail and leave a message. Later in day the box is full.

Are you sure you don’t genuinely have a problem with your domestic water supply pressure? These things can be hard to pin down - they tend to be worse at the times of day you want a shower and not so bad in the middle of the day when you might run the tap. It might also drop to the point where it will bother one shower but not another (especially if one is upstairs and the other is downstairs).

heero_yuy 08-06-2020 11:24

Quote:

Quote from tweetiepooh: Our electric shower has stopped working (low pressure alarm). We have softened water so it won't be scale. We (should) have cover with Triton but getting through to them isn't easy. You end up at a mobile voicemail and leave a message. Later in day the box is full.
Worth checking with your water supplier in case there's a local low pressure issue. Website?