Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   48 Olympic channels. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33688962)

Telly_ 27-07-2012 20:36

48 Olympic channels.

Just though I would give Sky a mention for providing and funding the 48 channel streams for the Olympics an giving them to BBC to ensure everyone can see them free of charge to all.

Well they're free on Sky, freesat but Virginmedia require you to subscribe to a package to recieve them unlike sky and freesat. To be fair that's very low of virginmedia as they have been given the channels for free.

v0id 27-07-2012 20:45

Re: 48 Olympic channels.

48 olympic channels, so why do they have to mess with the schedules of BBC1?

BenMcr 27-07-2012 21:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Telly_ (Post 35457081)
Well they're free on Sky, freesat but Virginmedia require you to subscribe to a package to recieve them unlike sky and freesat. To be fair that's very low of virginmedia as they have been given the channels for free.

What rubbish. All Virgin's current packages are paid, so what else are they going to do? All packages have had them included for no extra cost - both SD and HD (and this includes those who are still on the £0 sub TV M)

BBC channels on satellite can be viewed without a Sky card, so Sky had no choice in whether they were free or not.

---------- Post added at 21:13 ---------- Previous post was at 21:11 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by v0id (Post 35457082)

Because they aren't on Freeview

denphone 27-07-2012 21:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Telly_ (Post 35457081)
Just though I would give Sky a mention for providing and funding the 48 channel streams for the Olympics an giving them to BBC to ensure everyone can see them free of charge to all.

Oh dear dear Telly l wish you knew what you were talking about sometimes as perhaps a bit of guidance from thy master would be advisable before you started this pointless thread.:rolleyes:

Telly_ 27-07-2012 21:30

The point is if you have a sky dish sky will let you watch the Olympic channels free even if you don't subscribe to sky, on Virginmedia you need ate package. Is that incorrect ?????

---------- Post added at 21:30 ---------- Previous post was at 21:27 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by v0id (Post 35457082)

Because they're only free on sky or freesat or freesat from sky. If you have virginmedia you need to subscribe to a package an they ae not on freeview.

BenMcr 27-07-2012 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Telly_ (Post 35457092)
The point is if you have a sky dish sky will let you watch the Olympic channels free even if you don't subscribe to sky, on Virginmedia you need ate package. Is that incorrect ?????

Yes it's incorrect. Sky aren't letting you do anything. BBC channels are free on satellite - period. Has nothing to do with Sky

You can buy any satellite decoder and get the channels.

Telly_ 27-07-2012 21:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35457094)
Yes it's incorrect. Sky aren't letting you do anything. BBC channels are free on satellite - period. Has nothing to do with Sky

You can buy any satellite decoder and get the channels.

So when you say it has nothing to do with sky.... Let me just tell you something

SKY AEE PAYING FOR THE 48 OLYMPIC STREAMS FOR THE BBC AND GIVING THEM TO FREESAT FROM SKY ,SKY, FREESAT, VIRGINMEDIA for free. It's virgin that are the only provider that require you to have a pay tv package to view them.

If sky weren't providing the capacity there wouldn't be 48 Olympic channels. I can imagine virginmedia are probably seeing if they can report Sky to ofcom for providing the BBC with free capacity lololol

BenMcr 27-07-2012 22:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Telly_ (Post 35457097)
So when you say it has nothing to do with sky.... Let me just tell you something

SKY AEE PAYING FOR THE 48 OLYMPIC STREAMS FOR THE BBC AND GIVING THEM TO FREESAT FROM SKY ,SKY, FREESAT, VIRGINMEDIA for free. It's virgin that are the only provider that require you to have a pay tv package to view them.

The BBC are required by the terms of their licence to provide any channels unencrypted.

Sky couldn't restrict access even if they wanted to, and the only reason they are doing it is because it's the only way to get all the Olympic content to their STBs.

Once again all Virgin Media's currently sold TV service is a paid service, whereas the BBC channels on satellite can be accessed by anyone with the right kit.

Quote:

If sky weren't providing the capacity there wouldn't be 48 Olympic channels. I can imagine virginmedia are probably seeing if they can report Sky to ofcom for providing the BBC with free capacity lololol
Actually from the beginning any Virgin Media customer with TiVo will have been able to access all the content, because the BBC's original plan was to have the extra channels as IPTV content only. http://mediacentre.virginmedia.com/S...TiVo-2311.aspx

---------- Post added at 22:24 ---------- Previous post was at 22:17 ----------

But I do think it's nice of Sky to pay for the extra satellite capacity to allow the BBC to provider the extra channels as linear, so that people without connected TVs can access the extra channels

spiderplant 27-07-2012 22:27

Quote:

SKY AEE PAYING FOR THE 48 OLYMPIC STREAMS FOR THE BBC AND GIVING THEM TO FREESAT FROM SKY ,SKY, FREESAT, VIRGINMEDIA for free.

Wrong. Sky are paying for the carriage on satellite. They are not paying for production of the channels, nor the distribution on cable (which VM receive by fibre)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/rogermose...rt_of_our.html

Quote:

If sky weren't providing the capacity there wouldn't be 48 Olympic channels.

Also wrong. It was announced they would be available on cable months before it was announced they would be on satellite
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011...ia-sports-deal

jamiefrost 27-07-2012 22:30

:confused: What ??

How much of a stretch just to have a dig at Virgin, it's laughable.

Just how would you like Virginmedia to give it to people for free??

It's Been added to packages for free, what else do you expect. You raised the issue so I'd like to hear your solution.

If I phone up Sky and tell them I'd like to watch it for free are they going to install a dish and give me a STB for free!

J

v0id 27-07-2012 22:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamiefrost (Post 35457103)

If I phone up Sky and tell them I'd like to watch it for free are they going to install a dish and give me a STB for free!

J

Probably be a one off fee of £175

muppetman11 27-07-2012 22:48

Who realistically cares , VM subscribers have access to 48 linear Olympic channels , 3D Olympic content , TIVO users have the BBC Sports app , Sky users have 48 linear channels , 3D content , everyone can watch it on the go in my books that makes pay TV a real winner for sports fans.

The BBC and Eurosport 3D coverage of the opening ceremony is excellent.

dave6x 28-07-2012 01:23

There are 24 BBC SD Olympic channels (Sky Ch 450-473) Free to Air and Free to View on any old Sky box no viewing card needed so a couple of quid at a car boot sale for a box and a dish will get that for you no probs!!! In fact I've got several Sky old boxes in the garage destined for the tip and an old dish with LNB under my decking!!!

Telly_ 28-07-2012 08:50

Well virgin intended to only let TiVo customers access to various streams via the TiVo app. But thanks to Sky now all VM customers will have access so I'm not surprised that Vm staff aren't to happy.

Hugh 28-07-2012 10:07

That post (and others) was brought to you on behalf of Sky Marketing....:D