Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sport (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Football : Christian Eriksen (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33710089)

Paul 12-06-2021 18:02

Christian Eriksen

Its not looking good for the Danish player. :(

He collapsed on the pitch just before half time, and you could clearly see CPR being given.

The match has been postponed (abandoned).

gba93 12-06-2021 18:20

Re: Christian Eriksen

Absolutely tragic - praying everything will be okay, thinking of his wife and family - such a shock.

denphone 12-06-2021 18:31

He has just been taken to hospital in a stable condition.

Paul 12-06-2021 18:49

From the BBC;

Quote:

The Danish FA says Christian Eriksen is awake and waiting more tests in hospital.

Hom3r 12-06-2021 20:02

I was shocking to see him being given chest compressions, then the defib being used.

The match restarted at 19:30 with both teams wanting to finish the match.

RichardCoulter 13-06-2021 02:55

Footage of the incident here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PFiGT9LTLqU

As one contributor has said, it was lucky that he was the focus of attention when the ball was passed to him as otherwise it might have been vital seconds before it was noticed.

If it was his heart maybe the excitement of the ball being passed to him was enough to tip it over the edge. There's been one or two incidents like this fairly recently, I don't recall this happening in the past :confused:

Hopefully he's on the mend now.

Is this why Match of The Day and the Thierry Henry programme was replaced by a film instead?

Chris 13-06-2021 09:49

UEFA slapped a copyright claim on that video pretty quick :D

Mr K 13-06-2021 10:12

I was at a non-league game a few years ago, where a player collapsed and died. There was no defibrillator, still haunts me. One should be available at every ground, no matter what level. The Premiership can pay, its pocket money to them.

jfman 13-06-2021 11:20

Suspect there will be questions to answer about the TV coverage (which I know was provided to the BBC but they could still have opted out).

Much is being made of the players making a shield - notably they did that at one side only not to block the view of the few fans in that stand only the TV coverage. The players would be able to see from the big screen that the cameras were focussing on the incident. The fact the director didn’t take the hint is a bit ridiculous.

RichardCoulter 13-06-2021 12:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36082743)
I was at a non-league game a few years ago, where a player collapsed and died. There was no defibrillator, still haunts me. One should be available at every ground, no matter what level. The Premiership can pay, its pocket money to them.

Thing is, nobody knows when a heart problem will occur. It's probably less likely at a football ground where I imagine the participants will be fairly fit. It would probably be more useful to put defibrillators at the smoking areas of pubs!

---------- Post added at 12:27 ---------- Previous post was at 12:22 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36082742)
UEFA slapped a copyright claim on that video pretty quick :D

Looks like it, it was working when I posted it.

There's plenty of footage remaining on YouTube for anyone who wants to see it; just do a search for the players name.

jfman 13-06-2021 12:41

There’s some interesting reading about the Melbourne Cricket Ground where research has been done into the provision of defibrillators.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10767496/

Chris 13-06-2021 12:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36082750)
Suspect there will be questions to answer about the TV coverage (which I know was provided to the BBC but they could still have opted out).

Much is being made of the players making a shield - notably they did that at one side only not to block the view of the few fans in that stand only the TV coverage. The players would be able to see from the big screen that the cameras were focussing on the incident. The fact the director didn’t take the hint is a bit ridiculous.

Not really - the Bradford City stadium fire, and the Hillsborough and Heysel disasters were all broadcast on live TV. In Bradford, the commentator kept talking, even when people started stumbling across the pitch with their clothes on fire. It was horrific to watch, but real events unfold, they aren't flagged in advance. There's no script detailing when to cut the feed. In any case, at some point what was a sporting event becomes live news and the media has a moral duty to record and report what's happening. In the case of Christian Eriksen, even the players forming a shield around him is part of the unfolding story. In Bradford, the TV footage has been invaluable in fire safety planning and training ever since.

Paul 13-06-2021 16:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36082750)

What questions ? Its called TV Coverage for a reason.
Perhaps the next player to collapse should warn the TV in advance. :rolleyes:

Unsurprising I suppose that TV is all you are worried about.

Carth 13-06-2021 19:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36082767)
Thing is, nobody knows when a heart problem will occur. It's probably less likely at a football ground where I imagine the participants will be fairly fit. It would probably be more useful to put defibrillators at the smoking areas of pubs!

You're right, it can happen anywhere, and to anyone.

I think pointing at smokers is a bit unfair though ( :p: ), I know quite a few smokers that probably face a much lower risk than many of the non smoking couch potato MaccyD munchers, or those in high stress fast paced occupations :D

As for the TV coverage, one thing it did do was highlight how effective a fast response by trained people with the correct equipment can be. That's got to be good for extending the provision of defibrillators in other areas of both work & play.

jfman 13-06-2021 20:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36082773)
Not really - the Bradford City stadium fire, and the Hillsborough and Heysel disasters were all broadcast on live TV. In Bradford, the commentator kept talking, even when people started stumbling across the pitch with their clothes on fire. It was horrific to watch, but real events unfold, they aren't flagged in advance. There's no script detailing when to cut the feed. In any case, at some point what was a sporting event becomes live news and the media has a moral duty to record and report what's happening. In the case of Christian Eriksen, even the players forming a shield around him is part of the unfolding story. In Bradford, the TV footage has been invaluable in fire safety planning and training ever since.

While there is no script if a player has a horror leg break it’s deliberately not replayed.

Similarly the horror crash at the Bahrain Grand Prix last year wasn’t shown until it was clear Grosjean had freed himself from the car and walked into the medical car.

I would imagine players (after all, it could be any of them) and the Danish FA will make representations to UEFA and that if a similar incident were to happen again we would see wider angles and a less voyeuristic director. I could be wrong though, and hopefully we don’t find out.

---------- Post added at 20:28 ---------- Previous post was at 20:27 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 36082799)
What questions ? Its called TV Coverage for a reason.
Perhaps the next player to collapse should warn the TV in advance. :rolleyes:

Unsurprising I suppose that TV is all you are worried about.

At the point I posted there’d been a number of positive statements about his condition but for the avoidance of doubt I wish him a speedy recovery.