Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Will Wales leave the UK? Will it be reduced in size if it does? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707651)

RichardCoulter 03-05-2019 09:40

Will Wales leave the UK? Will it be reduced in size if it does?

To complement the Scottish independence thread, I thought that i'd create this for Wales now that calls for independence have resurfaced again:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-48059170

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/p...tream-16169784

Apparently, Wales encroaches onto English land, so if Wales does become independent, will England reclaim it's land?

tweetiepooh 03-05-2019 09:43

Re: Will Wales leave the UK? Will it be reduced in size if it does?

Well England flooded Welsh land for water so the exchange would be fair.

Will they charge England for the water they export?

Mr K 03-05-2019 09:52

I'm feeling the need for a 'Will Yorkshire leave the UK ?' thread....

Thing is, if the bottom right hand corner region of UK left, or better still sunk, everyone else would live in peace and harmony.... ;)

OLD BOY 03-05-2019 09:55

The Isle of Wight looks vulnerable.

nomadking 03-05-2019 09:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35993295)

Thing is, if the bottom right hand corner region of UK left, or better still sunk, everyone else would live in peace and harmony.... ;)

... and increased poverty.

denphone 03-05-2019 10:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35993297)
The Isle of Wight looks vulnerable.

Does it...

OLD BOY 03-05-2019 10:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35993290)
To complement the Scottish independence thread, I thought that i'd create this for Wales now that calls for independence have resurfaced again:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-48059170

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/p...tream-16169784

Apparently, Wales encroaches onto English land, so if Wales does become independent, will England reclaim it's land?

It is strange to note that it is the poorer parts of the country where there are those who think they are poorer because of how the UK treats them. Neither Scotland nor Wales have a convincing financial plan to ensure their populations will be as well off if they were granted independence.

The UK is stronger if it is together, but if Wales and Scotland are taken out of the equation, only England would be better off because it would no longer need to support those nations.

Separatists need to put aside emotion and actually tell us where they think their money will come from without Westminster bailing them out before they start treading that path.

Chris 03-05-2019 10:12

An economy built on coal and sheep, but nobody wants the coal any more.

Welsh nationalism is absurd. It is blind hatred of England rooted in the medieval dynastic struggles of the 13th and 14th centuries (which Wales lost, while Scotland held its own).

Scotland today can make an economic and political case for leaving the UK, even though that case is very difficult. Wales simply can’t. The Plaidos’ plan, such as it is, is to throw Wales as a supplicant at the EU’s feet and have Germany pay for everything via the regional development fund.

Scotland today is a distinct legal entity with a body of law deliberately preserved by the Acts of Union 1707 - Acts plural, as they were passed by the English and Scottish parliaments separately following a treaty between the two. The result of those Acts was the permanent dissolution of both the English and Scottish Parliaments and the creation of a new British one, which continued to legislate separately for Scottish and English matters. Wales, on the other hand, had been annexed by the process of warring noble houses that was commonplace in Europe at the time. The Prince of Wales had been defeated and his crown became a gift of the English monarch ... to this day, a gift normally conferred on the monarch’s heir. The annexation of Wales as part of England was completed by Acts of the English Parliament in the mid 16th century. These extended English law to Wales. This is why Ireland, Scotland and England are represented in the union flag but Wales is not. It is there indirectly, because the Welsh crown is the English crown. Distasteful to some Welsh people I know, but that’s been the legal reality for the best part of 500 years.

The upshot of this is, there is still a union between distinct legal entities within Great Britain, namely England and Scotland, which make it at least possible to discuss how they might be separated. Despite the existence of the Welsh assembly, and its very limited ability to pass primary legislation, there is not a distinct legal entity called Wales that can be identified and whose separation from England could easily be planned. It is an entirely different proposition.

Taf 03-05-2019 10:26

The only growing economy in Wales is Welsh teachers and translators, as all pupils are obliged by law to learn Welsh, and are therfore counted as "Welsh speakers" for the rest of their lives even if they never use the language again.

OLD BOY 03-05-2019 10:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35993319)
The only growing economy in Wales is Welsh teachers and translators, as all pupils are obliged by law to learn Welsh, and are therfore counted as "Welsh speakers" for the rest of their lives even if they never use the language again.

Funded from the public purse, so not exactly a money making exercise after independence. Just another drag on the economy.

How will Wales actually make money to fund public services and prosper outside the UK? That is the question Welsh people have to ask themselves.

Chris 03-05-2019 11:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35993323)
Funded from the public purse, so not exactly a money making exercise after independence. Just another drag on the economy.

How will Wales actually make money to fund public services and prosper outside the UK? That is the question Welsh people have to ask themselves.

They don’t have to ask themselves that, because only a tiny number of them vote Plaid and I suspect not even all of them actually want Wales to separate from the UK.

Maggy 03-05-2019 11:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35993327)
They don’t have to ask themselves that, because only a tiny number of them vote Plaid and I suspect not even all of them actually want Wales to separate from the UK.

:tu:

Sephiroth 03-05-2019 11:29

What a silly topic this is.

RichardCoulter 03-05-2019 12:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 35993333)
What a silly topic this is.

There have been renewed calls for Welsh independence if another Brexit vote isn't held. I think it's worthy of discussion, why don't you?

papa smurf 03-05-2019 12:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35993295)

I live in Lincolnshire as far as we are concerned Yorkshire has never been in the UK;)