Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   General : More Rubbish From The Scammers (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33708888)

daveybm 30-03-2020 11:22

More Rubbish From The Scammers

Received this early this morning:-

Hello XXXXXXXXX@ntlworld.com
We would like to inform you that your package could not be automatically renewed.
The payment processor has detect invalid billing details associated with your account.
If you want to continue your package, you need to renew your package before it automatic disabled on: 1th April 2020.
To continue your package you need to sign in and update your billing details.
Sign in now

Once you have update your billing details, your bill will be processed in 3-5 business days and the automatic disabling will be removed.
Kind regards,
The Virgin Media team
Virgin media

Help

My Virgin Media
This email has been sent to the following address: xxxxxxxxx@ntlworld.com by Virgin Media.
For more information about us, or if you’d like to know more about how we treat your data please view our privacy policy using the links below:
Privacy | About Us
Legal Stuff applies. See virginmedia.com/legalstuff
Remember, Virgin Media will never ask you for personal information via email.
1CTokWRq6Fe38XF

Judging by the spelling and grammar it's obviously a scam, don't fall for it

RichardCoulter 30-03-2020 11:30

Re: More Rubbish From The Scammers

Could be because of the Virgin Media data breach.

pip08456 30-03-2020 11:55

https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/report-phishing

nomadking 30-03-2020 12:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36029597)

The non-breach involved peoples names, so it would have said "hello [name]", not email address.

Nothing involved more than an email address, which could've been obtained from a number of other breaches.

Paul 30-03-2020 14:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36029597)

Almost zero chance given the wording.

These are simply mass sent to email lists, of which plenty exist.

jobbie8 30-03-2020 18:13

I was just thinking since India went into lockdown we haven't had any calls from scammers or survey centres. We had them daily.

Paul 30-03-2020 18:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by jobbie8 (Post 36029678)
I was just thinking since India went into lockdown we haven't had any calls from scammers or survey centres. We had them daily.

Sad, but true, we havent had any for a few days either.

buckeye 31-03-2020 12:42

I've just received an automated call on my VM land line,
apparently my internet service will be cut off in 4 hours due to a router problem and I must press 1 to speak to my internet service provider.
I'm sure anyone capable of viewing these forums would not fall for such an obvious scam but I mention it because the voice on the recording is very similar to the woman's voice that VM use.
It might be worth warning anyone vulnerable you know who use VM services.

Hom3r 31-03-2020 13:46

My dad had a cold call saying they could stop cold calls for £10 pm, I went to him WTF, why did you give your card details.

He phoned his bank, luckily no money had been taken and his bank cancelled the card, and said that I was right.

The company phoned up saying that the card was rejected, my dad said we didn't need it as well are with TPS for free.

Arthurgray50@blu 31-03-2020 22:41

I work in emergency services. And scammers will be having a field day at the moment.

I urge anyone who gets phone calls - such as the one that goes click, when you pick up the phone. Put the phone straight down. You will be paying for that call.

I have said this before, but in the current circumstances. I work in safer neighbourhoods, and support the vulnerable. And they are being targeted on a daily basis.

Such as calling and offering virus testing kits - THIS IS NOT HAPPENING. ITS A SCAM

Stay safe out there members

Maggy 01-04-2020 09:17

I use an answerphone..the scammers give up right away.

heero_yuy 01-04-2020 09:41

Caller ID and an answerphone are definitely the way to go. My mobile will show the actual callers name if it's in the phone book file.

Otherwise if it's a real call centre there's a ~2 second silent timeout before a call centre operative picks up the call. That's the give away to put the phone straight down.

Stuart 02-04-2020 15:56

Sadly Caller ID isn't as secure as you'd think. From a technical point of view, it's relatively easy to fake it. OK, so I don't think faking called ID is legal, but what these guys are doing is often illegal anyway.

Paul 02-04-2020 19:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 36030096)
OK, so I don't think faking called ID is legal

Its not illegal, many sms companies (like the one I use) provide the option.

gus0898uk 04-04-2020 19:25

I just got another spam email, I have had a number just lately, many to do with Bitcoin, I just junk them without opening them.