Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   HD : Sky Sports query (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707630)

StevenNT 28-04-2019 12:41

Sky Sports query

Hi there,

The English cricket season is here with the Cricket World Cup and later on The Ashes (true I know it's not everyone's cup of tea) and looking at getting Sky Sports with the HD add on to watch it.

Looking at my account it says around £30 to add it but says that for almost anything like going from 200Mb to 350Mb so wondering what's the true approx. cost to get it with the HD add on before I call up so I know what I'm letting myself in for.

Also does the Sky Sports Red Button work on VM these days?

jfman 28-04-2019 12:46

Re: Sky Sports query

I'd always just recommend dealing with retentions (if out of contract)!

For your second question yes the red button does work.

StevenNT 28-04-2019 12:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 35992534)

I'm still in a contract until July so doubt retentions is an option

cheekyangus 28-04-2019 13:21

StevenNT mentioned "HD add on". I was under the impression that, with VM, if you got the SD version you got the HD one, with Sky's premium channels. Is this not so?

jfman 28-04-2019 13:28

No, it's the case with Sky Movies (I think) but not Sky Sports.

StevenNT 28-04-2019 13:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheekyangus (Post 35992540)
StevenNT mentioned "HD add on". I was under the impression that, with VM, if you got the SD version you got the HD one, with Sky's premium channels. Is this not so?

Sky Sports seems unique in this case if you want Sky Sports in HD you need to pay for the bolt-on on top of the initial Sports package.

Raider999 28-04-2019 13:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 35992534)

Apart from the fact you cannot record red button broadcasts

jfman 28-04-2019 13:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35992545)
Apart from the fact you cannot record red button broadcasts

I had forgotten that fact. :)

Separately, Sky removed their HD add on when they raised the standard price of Sky Sports for everyone by £2 meaning that sports/movies is now 'as standard' on that platform.

With Virgin and Sky due to be negotiating (if they haven't concluded already - would the contract be big enough to require an announcement to the stock exchange?) a carriage deal imminently it might be something that changes.

cheekyangus 28-04-2019 13:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 35992542)
No, it's the case with Sky Movies (I think) but not Sky Sports.

Interesting. I probably just heard about it for Sky Cinema and assumed it applied to Sports.

Thanks jfman.

Mr K 28-04-2019 17:48

Got any friends/relatives with Sky? They can have up to 4 users of Sky Go on each account. Hook a laptop up to your TV and you're away for a nice free summer of cricket (turn the sound off obviously, and listen to the far superior BBC TMS radio commentary). :)

noel43 28-04-2019 18:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevenNT (Post 35992533)
Hi there,

The English cricket season is here with the Cricket World Cup and later on The Ashes (true I know it's not everyone's cup of tea) and looking at getting Sky Sports with the HD add on to watch it.

Looking at my account it says around £30 to add it but says that for almost anything like going from 200Mb to 350Mb so wondering what's the true approx. cost to get it with the HD add on before I call up so I know what I'm letting myself in for.

Also does the Sky Sports Red Button work on VM these days.

I did it on the online chat and got sky sports for £18 a month rolling contract.
Have Full House contract.

StevenNT 28-04-2019 18:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35992587)
Got any friends/relatives with Sky? They can have up to 4 users of Sky Go on each account. Hook a laptop up to your TV and you're away for a nice free summer of cricket (turn the sound off obviously, and listen to the far superior BBC TMS radio commentary). :)

I do listen to BBC TMS in the past and I agree their commentary is great. But no I don't have anyone I can "borrow" their sub with.

Quote:

Originally Posted by noel43 (Post 35992592)
I did it on the online chat and got sky sports for £18 a month rolling contract.
Have Full House contract.

Was that with HD also? if so that's better than what I saw via my web account when it was easily £30 which more than I was prepared to pay.

noel43 28-04-2019 18:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by StevenNT (Post 35992596)
I do listen to BBC TMS in the past and I agree their commentary is great. But no I don't have anyone I can "borrow" their sub with.

Was that with HD also? if so that's better than what I saw via my web account when it was easily £30 which more than I was prepared to pay.

No just SD I have a 4k tv so upscale does me.

StevenNT 28-04-2019 19:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by noel43 (Post 35992602)
No just SD I have a 4k tv so upscale does me.

Thanks, I'll have a chat to the online chat team, see what deal they can offer me :)

StevenNT 02-05-2019 16:52

I've did the web chat thing, got Sky Sports HD for £22 a month for 6 months. That will be enough for the Summer season :)

Just waiting it for it to be remotely enabled now :)