Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Post-Brexit Thread (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33703180)

RBMark 01-07-2016 12:15

Re: Post-Brexit Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Brian (Post 35847365)
It won't be as bad but may last 2 or 3 quarters.

---------- Post added at 11:55 ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 ----------

To be honest friend I can't find the answer to this on the net. I've asked the question Can Britain trade with whomever it wants to when Article 50 is invoked?

Britain will still be bound to all the rules and regulations of the EU even after A50 is invoked. Think of it like handing in your notice at work, you still have to turn up to work, follow all the rules you just might not be called into some very important and sensitive meetings.

techguyone 01-07-2016 12:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramrod (Post 35847355)
Are we free to trade at will once A50 is invoked?

Probably not, but I don't see why any trade negotiations could not be done and finalised in that period.

Big Brian 01-07-2016 12:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by techguyone (Post 35847369)
Probably not, but I don't see why any trade negotiations could not be done and finalised in that period.

That's what I would have thought but not sure.

techguyone 01-07-2016 12:23

Well it would be pretty daft to wait 2 years to deal with Europe then after that point make a start on the rest of the world, you'd lose a lot of time to the detriment of the country.

ntluser 01-07-2016 12:57

I suspect the EU have already decided what they are prepared to offer and what's not on offer. They've also decided the terms on which the offers will be made if we invoke Article 50.

The UK needs to be just as ready when they invoke Article 50.

Damien 01-07-2016 13:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by techguyone (Post 35847369)

I don't see why we can't make overtures to various nations, I suspect many theoretical possibilities where considered even prior to last Thursday, but it takes a long time to hammer out trade deals. They're messy things.

The bigger problem seems to quite literally be a lack of manpower. Reports last weekend said we don't have enough trade negotiators to deal with the EU yet let alone to go out and strike up deals with other nations. Finally any prospect deals then need input from different government departments/sectors of industry.

joglynne 01-07-2016 13:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntluser (Post 35847374)
I suspect the EU have already decided what they are prepared to offer and what's not on offer. They've also decided the terms on which the offers will be made if we invoke Article 50.

The UK needs to be just as ready when they invoke Article 50.

Although the new Prime Minister is still to be put in place work is going on to set up the Civil Service department that will be responsible for the task of untangling the UK’s decades-long relationship with the EU.

Quote:

snippet.....Downing Street this week announced that a new team had been set up in the Cabinet Office, bringing together the “brightest and best” officials to start planning options on Britain’s withdrawal from the European Union for whoever succeeds David Cameron as Tory leader. Cameron is set to step down in September after Britain voted to leave the EU, and has appointed the Home Office’s second permanent secretary Olly Robbins to lead the new unit.

It will draw on support from Treasury, Cabinet Office, Foreign Office and Business department staff, although ministers have said all departments will be involved in its work.
https://www.civilserviceworld.com/ar...team-says-dclg

Oliver Robbins

I know many people think that the Civil Service is a joke but I certainly hope this new Brexit unit does what needs to be done to give our political negotiators the backing they will certainly need in the coming months

Big Brian 01-07-2016 13:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by techguyone (Post 35847371)
Well it would be pretty daft to wait 2 years to deal with Europe then after that point make a start on the rest of the world, you'd lose a lot of time to the detriment of the country.

Indeed but what if they say we can't do that?

pip08456 01-07-2016 13:31

Considering that the USA now wants a deal (Though that may be TIPP which is unacceptable) at least talks are starting.

Also NZ have offered their negotiators to help us out apparently. I'll give links when I get home in a couple of hrs.

ntluser 01-07-2016 13:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Brian (Post 35847382)
Indeed but what if they say we can't do that?

They can get round that by having a second group having exploratory talks with the rest of the world so we know where to go if or when EU deals fail to offer what we want.

Europe also trades with the rest of the world via Amazon which is based in Luxembourg so how do Luxembourg get away with that?

Perhaps the EU get away with rest of the world trade by using a third party in this case Amazon.

RizzyKing 01-07-2016 13:56

Under the current EU rules after invoking article 50 two years must pass and the UK fully exit the EU before trade negotiations can begin, in my opinion it's a punitive measure designed purely to make things harder then they need to be for any nation leaving the EU. I have no doubt that informal talks on trade would occur during the article 50 2 year period which could then be official trade deals at the end of the 2 years. Personally once a nation invokes article 50 they are on a one-way route out of the EU and the EU has no right to limit that nation in it's trade dealings with anyone outside of the EU. The fact the EU does hold sway over non EU trade negotiations is another example of why I want out of the EU.

Damien 01-07-2016 14:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by RizzyKing (Post 35847388)
Under the current EU rules after invoking article 50 two years must pass and the UK fully exit the EU before trade negotiations can begin

Doesn't mean we can't have 'exploratory' meetings. Informal chats here and there.

RizzyKing 01-07-2016 14:08

Hence why I mentioned informal talks.

Damien 01-07-2016 14:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by RizzyKing (Post 35847394)
Hence why I mentioned informal talks.

Sorry, somehow skimmed right past that.

RizzyKing 01-07-2016 14:17

I think all our heads are spinning a bit at this point :).