Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   General : Free 4G if BB goes down (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707751)

Taf 05-06-2019 20:33

Free 4G if BB goes down

https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/broa...band-goes-down

No good to me as I don't have a smartphone. :(

Maggy 05-06-2019 22:10

Re: Free 4G is BB goes down

Wouldn't help me as I don't have virgin mobile..

Chris 05-06-2019 23:26

BT already does something like this. They send out a 4G modem/wireless router which remains active until your fixed line broadband is fixed. Once you have got a device they tell you to keep it in a cupboard in case it’s required again. Sounds quite a bit better than what VM’s proposing TBH.

Paul 06-06-2019 00:33

Not much use if you dont have a smart phone.

TBH, not much use if you do, unless you can use your phone as a modem.

Oh, and title fixed, pretty sure you mean "if", not "is".

mike86 06-06-2019 15:32

Re: Free 4G if BB goes down

Half-arsed compared to BT's offer.

You can't use this if you don't have a Virgin Mobile SIM.

You can't use this if you don't have a smartphone.

You can't let other users in your house use this if you want to go out and take your phone with you.

BenMcr 06-06-2019 16:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike86 (Post 35998192)
You can't use this if you don't have a Virgin Mobile SIM.

You will have a Virgin Mobile SIM as it's part of the Oomph bundles offer.
Quote:

You can't use this if you don't have a smartphone.
All Virgin Mobile 4G SIMs allow tethering and use in any compatible mobile device including tablets and Mobile WiFi devices.
Quote:

You can't let other users in your house use this if you want to go out and take your phone with you.
It applies to all SIMs on the associated mobile account:
Quote:

Our promise to you
Our dedicated support team’s here to help you with all your services on one call. And if your broadband ever goes down, we’ll add Truly Unlimited data to all SIMs on your account

Kushan 06-06-2019 22:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35998086)
https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/broa...band-goes-down

No good to me as I don't have a smartphone. :(

You should get a smartphone. In this day and age, they're becoming more and more essential.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35998124)
Not much use if you dont have a smart phone.

TBH, not much use if you do, unless you can use your phone as a modem.

Oh, and title fixed, pretty sure you mean "if", not "is".

The majority of smart phones can create a "wireless tether", basically a portable hotspot other devices can connect to that piggyback off of the phone's data.

Yeah it's limited, but if your net goes down you'll be reliant on mobile data regardless of how practical it is. May as well be able to use as much of it as you need.

Gavin78 07-06-2019 12:23

I'm lucky with my contract with 3 as I pay £30 a month for 100GB internet with 30GB of that which can be used as tethering.

BenMcr 07-06-2019 13:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin78 (Post 35998270)
I'm lucky with my contract with 3 as I pay £30 a month for 100GB internet with 30GB of that which can be used as tethering.

£27 a month as a cable customer for a Virgin Mobile Unlimited SIM, of which all of it can be used for tethering ;)

Kushan 07-06-2019 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin78 (Post 35998270)

You're paying too much. Three regularly do offers for Unlimited everything (Including tethering) at £20/month. See: https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/unl...pm-480-3238440

japitts 09-06-2019 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35998281)
£27 a month as a cable customer for a Virgin Mobile Unlimited SIM, of which all of it can be used for tethering ;)

If you're in the market for a value-based mobile proposition, it's hard to argue with Virgin Mobile (or PlusNet, or any other) to be fair - and tying together the fixed and mobile options in a fault situation is an excellent service offering for VM.

But some people may want something other than a value or price-driven mobile setup.

mike86 12-06-2019 16:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35998195)
You will have a Virgin Mobile SIM as it's part of the Oomph bundles offer.

Is the article wrong then? It says "The new service will be available for anyone on a combined ultrafast broadband and Virgin mobile bundle". It doesn't say it's only available to Oomph customers.

If it is only available to Oomph customers, then that's even worse.

Quote:

All Virgin Mobile 4G SIMs allow tethering and use in any compatible mobile device including tablets and Mobile WiFi devices.
Yes exactly.

Quote:

It applies to all SIMs on the associated mobile account:
What if you're perfectly happy with other networks? Why should people be forced to switch to Virgin to get this?

BenMcr 12-06-2019 16:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike86 (Post 35998810)
Is the article wrong then? It says "The new service will be available for anyone on a combined ultrafast broadband and Virgin mobile bundle". It doesn't say it's only available to Oomph customers.

If it is only available to Oomph customers, then that's even worse.

The only combined broadband and mobile bundles are the Oomph bundles.
Quote:

What if you're perfectly happy with other networks? Why should people be forced to switch to Virgin to get this?
You will have at least one Virgin Mobile SIM as part of the deal. There is no requirement to move other SIMs over but it's a benefit if you do.

Mythica 12-06-2019 16:56

Ben can I ask a quick question as I've heard different things about this.

We have the VIP bundle and just upgraded to the Ultimate oomph bundle. We also have a VM PAYG sim. We are wanting to keep the number from the PAYG sim for the unlimited sim from the oomph bundle. As I understand, you can't use pac codes from the same supplier, but is it possible to still transfer the number so we can have the number from the PAYG used as the unlimited sim number?

BenMcr 12-06-2019 18:03

If the SIM has already been ordered then not without cancelling that and starting again.

However in general it should be possible to upgrade a PAYG number to the Oomph airtime plans instead of sending a new SIM out - subject to appropriate credit checks.