Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sport (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   2012 Ryder Cup (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33689965)

MalteseFalcon 30-09-2012 23:33

2012 Ryder Cup

Who watched it? Couldn't bear watching any of the singles, but what a massive turn around this was. I truly think that Seve Ballesteros was up there watching and helping Europe to win.

Final score, for those who missed it, was 14.5 Europe to USA 13.5, which means Europe won outright. 14 was needed to retain, but we went one better.

Shadow Demon UK 30-09-2012 23:45

Re: 2012 Ryder Cup

It was absoloutely amazing!

That putt from Justin Rose on the 17th was the turning point. Rose and Poulter were amazing.

LondonRoad 30-09-2012 23:49

FANTASTIC.

What a Summer of sport we've had but, in terms of drama, that was as good as anything.

You couldn't have scripted that and made a movie. The critics would have slammed it for being too far fetched.

I actually felt a bit of sympathy for the U.S. players. The pressure that all the players were under is incredible. I think Seve had the final say. ;)

denphone 01-10-2012 06:39

Wow l could not believe that a miracle could happen on the final day.:cleader::hyper:

Tinky 01-10-2012 08:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35479790)
Wow l could not believe that a miracle could happen on the final day.:cleader::hyper:

A miracle it certainly was Den they were so far behind, it was difficult to imagine they could make such an amazing comeback. I stayed up to watch the nail biting finish, had my fingers crossed to the end. :) Congratulations to the European team!!!!!!!!!!!

Osem 01-10-2012 09:12

Don't have Sky here but kept an eye on the scores etc. during the day via the radio. Fantastic result for the team :clap:

.... and a denied 'good news' photo-opportunity for Obama... lol

Shadow Demon UK 01-10-2012 11:26

I still cannot believe that happened. It must be one of the greatest sporting comebacks ever! This made me laugh, from the BBC live text last night...

Quote:

Oh dear, the ESPN's golf man made some rather previous predictions about what happen today and is reaping the whirlwind on the comments section. This is how the article kicked off: "For those who think this Ryder Cup is finished, think again. Team Europe can still win if the following five things happen Sunday: Keegan Bradley is abducted; Team USA captain Davis Love III inserts Cup spectators Michael Jordan, President George W. Bush, Amy Mickelson and the Rev. Jesse Jackson into the singles lineup." I can't wait to read the next one...
I know the yanks are always over confident, but we were so far behind, to come back and win was sensational!

Saaf_laandon_mo 01-10-2012 13:10

This was brilliant. I was watching it from 10pm onwards and glued to the TV. I loved the support from the European fans. The "Olaaaay Olay Olay Olaaay... Olaay Ollay" chanting was absolutely brilliant. It's always nice to quiet the american fans and we did that perfectly. The post match interviews were brilliant, Olazabal's tears made me cry too, I used to love watching Seve - he was the reason I started watching Golf - and winning in his colours was so apt!

---------- Post added at 13:10 ---------- Previous post was at 13:08 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkC1984 (Post 35479754)
Who watched it? Couldn't bear watching any of the singles, but what a massive turn around this was. I truly think that Seve Ballesteros was up there watching and helping Europe to win.

Final score, for those who missed it, was 14.5 Europe to USA 13.5, which means Europe won outright. 14 was needed to retain, but we went one better.

Indeed - although retaining the cup with a draw would have been brilliant in itself, considering what the guys had to turnaround on the final day, actually winning outright was the icing on the cake.

Well done Woods for being so sporting.

Derek 01-10-2012 13:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow Demon UK (Post 35479863)
I still cannot believe that happened. It must be one of the greatest sporting comebacks ever! This made me laugh, from the BBC live text last night...

http://espn.go.com/golf/rydercup12/s...-all-locked-us

Yep. I think Gene might be a bit sheepish this morning. :D

Osem 01-10-2012 13:57

:rofl:

Reminds me of the time in 2003 when Eddie 'big mouth' Jones did Clive Woodward's team talk for him.... :D

Shadow Demon UK 01-10-2012 14:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derek (Post 35479893)
http://espn.go.com/golf/rydercup12/s...-all-locked-us

Yep. I think Gene might be a bit sheepish this morning. :D

Its quite fun reading some of the comments for the article :D