Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Coronavirus (OLD) (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33708712)

denphone 18-03-2020 07:39

Re: Coronavirus

Business Secretary Alok Sharma says the Housing Secretary will be making a statement shortly about how to protect millions of renters in the UK that could be affected by coronavirus.

RichardCoulter 18-03-2020 08:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36027850)
Business Secretary Alok Sharma says the Housing Secretary will be making a statement shortly about how to protect millions of renters in the UK that could be affected by coronavirus.

Excellent news.

People with certain underlying conditions who get the virus are advised not to take Ibuprofen. There are also various fake news stories circulating about this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/51929628

nomadking 18-03-2020 08:31

A lot of renters will already covered by benefits.

Maggy 18-03-2020 08:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36027851)
Excellent news.

People with certain underlying conditions who get the virus are advised not to take Ibuprofen. There are also various fake news stories circulating about this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/51929628

Pity there's such a shortage of Paracetamol as a consequence.

RichardCoulter 18-03-2020 08:43

Anyone who is self employed or who has had to close their business due to the pandemic can now call HMRC on 0300 456 3565 for advice on tax and any benefits available to them.

denphone 18-03-2020 08:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy (Post 36027854)

Absolutely impossible to get now as l got 2 packets 2 weeks ago luckily but you won't find any online for love or money now.

Pierre 18-03-2020 09:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36027834)
But if they can get it again and again and huge swathes of the working population are continually off work in cycles, leading to little to no economic prosperity and rubbish/sewage is present (leading to further disease) or there is no electricity, internet etc I think that we will, at best, be massively reduced in number.

Dear Lord.

ITS THE FLU

papa smurf 18-03-2020 09:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36027860)
Absolutely impossible to get now as l got 2 packets 2 weeks ago luckily but you won't find any online for love or money now.

Given that a person can only by 2x packets at a time where the heck is it all:shrug:

---------- Post added at 09:22 ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 ----------

Just done my weekly shop no tinned food limited frozen , a woman was complaining that greedy people were buying up all the toilet role as she loaded 4 packs onto the belt :rolleyes:

i bought 1 pack of four i only have the one arse.

denphone 18-03-2020 09:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36027863)
Given that a person can only by 2x packets at a time where the heck is it all:shrug:

A lot of people one suspects use paracetemol but given there are raw material shortages triggered by the coronavirus outbreak and add to that there is also several considerable wholesale price rises for high street retailers and pharmacies who are trying to source it as well.

downquark1 18-03-2020 09:32

2 Attachment(s)
OK I'm going to lay out scenarios about what happens next. I'm not an expert so this is all open to criticism.

"Snuff it out" scenario
We quarantine, the cases go to zero and it’s just gone, maybe the summer helps. Unfortunately this tends not to happen.

”Turn it off and on again”
We quarantine, it goes down, we open up, it goes up again. This repeats until we reach herd immunity (60 to 70% of people have had the virus). This could last until the end of 2021 by some models.
https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...1&d=1584523600

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...1&d=1584523830

The “scientific miracle” scenario
A vaccine is created and can be manufactured in enough quantities to give nearly everyone immunity, we jump to herd immunity immediately and go back to normal.
a) The virus is either gone permanently
b) The virus may need a new vaccine if it mutates next year

The small-pox-cow-pox scenario
The virus mutates into a less deadly version that also grants immunity, we then get the weaker version and the deadly one is pushed out of circulation. Herd immunity, back to normal.

The Spanish flu scenario
The virus mutates to a more deadly version and we just call this whole going outside thing off.

heero_yuy 18-03-2020 09:33

Below is an extract from a letter sent by Sainsbury's CEO Mike Coupe to all customers on their database:

Quote:

To help us get more essential items onto the shelves, from this Thursday 19th March, we will be closing our cafes and our meat, fish and pizza counters in supermarkets. This means we can free up warehouse and lorry capacity for products that customers really need. It will also free up time for our store colleagues to focus on keeping the shelves as well stocked as possible.

I mentioned last week that we had put limits on a very small number of products. Following feedback from our customers and from our store colleagues, we have decided to put restrictions on a larger number of products. From tomorrow, Wednesday 18th March, customers will be able to buy a maximum of three of any grocery product and a maximum of two on the most popular products including toilet paper, soap and UHT milk. We have enough food coming into the system, but are limiting sales so that it stays on shelves for longer and can be bought by a larger numbers of customers.
A bit late but at least it'll allow people to get some products that they really need.

RichardCoulter 18-03-2020 10:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre (Post 36027862)
Dear Lord.

ITS THE FLU

Anyone who has had proper flu knows that it means you cannot function at all. I thought i'd had it a few times......until I got it properly. I now know i've only had it that one time. I've felt ill, achey, runny nose, hot, sneezing, coughing and felt dreadful, but it wasn't the flu.

---------- Post added at 09:41 ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy (Post 36027854)

I'd give you some Co Codomol if I could! I have boxes of it and it's good stuff.

---------- Post added at 09:55 ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 ----------

Pre-paid energy meters and those self isolating:

https://thepoorsideof.life/2020/03/1...ers-important/

---------- Post added at 10:02 ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36027839)
How do you prove it online? I have physical documentation.

Is it going to be silly peak times of day when everybody else is travelling on public transport?

I think they might be able to find out those who are 70+ from the Nectar card, I can't remember if it asks for this??

heero_yuy 18-03-2020 10:19

Quote:

Quote from The Sun: He told a meeting of the Cabinet that the nation was “engaged in a war against the disease which we have to win”.

Later, at his daily press conference, Boris added: "We must act like any wartime government".

Under the new plan, the PM and his top team of four senior ministers - Rishi Sunak, Matt Hancock, Michael Gove and Dominic Raab - will meet daily to coordinate the fight, in a group known as ‘the C-19’.

It came as ministers last night unveiled a new law to enact sweeping powers for officials and forces to fight the bug’s spread.

They include allowing police and Border Force officers to arrest suspected virus sufferers and put them in isolation.
Mmm. So you're a cop and see someone who looks a bit peaky: Do you

A. Arrest them and get covered in virus ridden snot

or

B. Move away quickly in the opposite direction. :D

nomadking 18-03-2020 10:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 36027868)
Anyone who has had proper flu knows that it means you cannot function at all. I thought i'd had it a few times......until I got it properly. I now know i've only had it that one time. I've felt ill, achey, runny nose, hot, sneezing, coughing and felt dreadful, but it wasn't the flu.

---------- Post added at 09:41 ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 ----------

I'd give you some Co Codomol if I could! I have boxes of it and it's good stuff.

---------- Post added at 09:55 ---------- Previous post was at 09:41 ----------

Pre-paid energy meters and those self isolating:

https://thepoorsideof.life/2020/03/1...ers-important/

---------- Post added at 10:02 ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 ----------

I think they might be able to find out those who are 70+ from the Nectar card, I can't remember if it asks for this??

Not a lot the companies can do with non-smart pre-paid meters. There's no way of giving further credit. With smart meters you can top up online or they could add credit to your meter.

One thing they all might need to do is abandon the hourly time slots. That might make the route planning more efficient. They don't want to go to a road and then return to another address nearby a few hours later. More drops could be fitted in each trip.

tweetiepooh 18-03-2020 10:29

Can't take too much cocodomol - codeine addiction isn't good.