Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Ballcock valve not switching off due to limescale (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707242)

SnoopZ 01-01-2019 14:30

Ballcock valve not switching off due to limescale

1 Attachment(s)
Calling everyone whos experienced in plumbing!

The Ballcock valve is not switching off due to limescale(i think) causing it to overflow.

Based on the picture could anyone give me any advice what i need to do to fix this and if they know what kind of valve it is before i call in a plumber as i don't like messing with water?

I am kind of hoping i can easily unscrew something remove a limescale deposit to fix it easily.

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/atta...1&d=1546352965

Thanks for any advice.

heero_yuy 01-01-2019 14:35

Re: Ballcock valve not switching off due to limescale

You can get a renovation kit from the likes of B&Q for these valves. You'll need to turn off the water at the main stopcock. Otherwise it's fairly straight forward to undo the parts and replace as needed whilst removing scale.

We have the same limescale problems down here as our water comes from the chalk aquifer under the town.

richard s 01-01-2019 14:50

Turn off the water (connected either by a blind valve [one quarter turn] or a ball valve.. leaver) then flush the loo. if the rubber diaphragm located in the blue housing is broken this needs to be replaced. It is a very easy job to do.

Take out the plastic pin which holds the floating ball in-situ unscrew the blue (left in your pic) screw, extract the rubber or plastic diaphragm and use Viakil anti-scale, spray this every where there is lime-scale leave for half an hour, and wipe up all lime scale.

Put back in reverse order.

pip08456 01-01-2019 14:53

This has nothing to do with limescale no matter whatever any plumber has said. It is wear on the rubber diaphram that controls the valve.

Not exactly but the same basis.(they do wear out)

BTW a cycle repair patch across the centre works a treat.

richard s 01-01-2019 15:31

Yes but lime-scale can also keep the valve in an open or closed position due to the spring behind the diaphragm being clogged-up. Its a Bar-Steward.

As I already have stated if the seal is Knackered then replace it!!!!!

pip08456 01-01-2019 15:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard s (Post 35977507)
Yes but lime-scale can also keep the valve in an open or closed position. Its a Bar-Steward.

As I already have stated if the seal is Knackered then replace it!!!!!

If the seal is knackered then it is not limescale. If there is limescale keeping the valve open then just clean the valve.

What I posted was to replace the diaphram which looking at the photo posted I know from experience is the problem.

If the OP wishes to buy a new valve I have no problem with that, its his choice. He could just as easily and cheaper buy a new diaphram. His choice, not mine or yours.

richard s 01-01-2019 16:13

Just trying to help heero not to be lectured by you. I know from experience as I am a plumber.

SnoopZ 01-01-2019 16:14

Thanks for all the help i will keep it all in mind for when i find time to mess with it, too tired now and work tomorrow!

shame i cant just bend the ballcock arm up a little bit as i think that would put a little more pressure on the switch just enough to stop it dripping.

Taf 01-01-2019 16:16

Water off, flush to empty, then take it all apart and soak in vinegar or similar weak acid.

Reassemble and test.

Or get a replacement for under a fiver.

SnoopZ 01-01-2019 16:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35977515)
Water off, flush to empty, then take it all apart and soak in vinegar or similar weak acid.

Reassemble and test.

Or get a replacement for under a fiver.

When i have more time i think i will do as Richard suggested to see if the rubber thing is damaged or limescaled up as i need to find some tools first.

When you say i can buy a replacement for £5 is that just the ballcock arm attachment and can you link to it on Homebase, i am hoping for an exact replacement to make it easier?

---------- Post added at 16:38 ---------- Previous post was at 16:29 ----------

Is this what i would need to replace the part in question if i can't sort the rubber out?

https://www.homebase.co.uk/side-entr...-valve_p375849

Or maybe this.... i need to be able to unscrew and replace, job done?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/opella-si...e-part-3/88427

heero_yuy 01-01-2019 16:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard s (Post 35977513)
Just trying to help heero not to be lectured by you. I know from experience as I am a plumber.

:confused:

Hom3r 01-01-2019 17:16

some times I've ues coke to disolve it.

But I've used Sarsons vinegar (the one that comes in a spray bottle) to target areas

Angua 01-01-2019 18:29

Also a squirt of WD40 on any metal parts can help.

We had a similar but different problem where the flush was sticking leaving it in a permanent state of flush. WD40 stopped the spring inside the dual flush sticking.

pip08456 01-01-2019 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angua (Post 35977530)
Also a squirt of WD40 on any metal parts can help.

We had a similar but different problem where the flush was sticking leaving it in a permanent state of flush. WD40 stopped the spring inside the dual flush sticking.

There are no metal parts in the valve posted. There is no need for vinegar or any other method suggested.

The diaphram has a hole in it and I don't care what the rip off plumber has said it only needs a replacement diaphram.

Taf 02-01-2019 10:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35977516)
When you say i can buy a replacement for £5 is that just the ballcock arm attachment and can you link to it on Homebase, i am hoping for an exact replacement to make it easier?

The assembly has to be compatible with the float you have, or you'll have to buy another float.

Plus I think your is a bottom entry type, not side entry. Is the water pipe connection below the cistern tank?