Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   2 Dead, 3 injured in London Bridge Terrorist incident (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33708445)

nomadking 30-11-2019 12:26

Re: London Bridge armed incident

Quote:

Originally Posted by papa smurf (Post 36018729)
It was the police that shot and killed him,the public were very brave to tackle him but these idiots should always be shot dead to keep the rest of society safe.

But it was the public that "put an end to his wrongdoing" and prevented further casualties. The police action was probably concerned with the fake suicide vest and that it might be real.

Chris 30-11-2019 14:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 36018736)
But it was the public that "put an end to his wrongdoing" and prevented further casualties. The police action was probably concerned with the fake suicide vest and that it might be real.

The police action was absolutely due to the apparent suicide vest, which if real could easily be triggered by its wearer even when lying on the ground with someone on top of him.

The public did not manifestly disarm him, or put an end to his wrongdoing, despite bringing him to the ground and relieving him of his knife. The attacker intended to present himself as a lethal threat to anyone nearby, by wearing what appeared to be a suicide vest. That being the case, the police could only end his wrongdoing with any confidence by shooting him dead. This is what they are trained to do.

It's important that this is seen for what it was, a split second decision taken to prevent greater loss of life, and not police taking vengeance or carrying out a death sentence on someone.

Hugh 30-11-2019 14:13

Re: 2 Dead, 3 injured in London Bridge Terrorist incident

/\ /\ this /\ /\

spiderplant 30-11-2019 15:04

This is a headline I never expected to see
Quote:

Narwhal tusk and fire extinguisher used to tackle London Bridge attacker
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ridge-attacker

Russ 30-11-2019 15:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mythica (Post 36018691)
Can we? Why not just wait for the facts, why do we have to guess? It serves no purpose in reality.

Did you honestly, in all seriousness expect him to be linked to any other religion?

Hugh 30-11-2019 16:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 36018764)
Did you honestly, in all seriousness expect him to be linked to any other religion?

Well...

Quote:

Since 2017, the police have disrupted 22 terrorist plots, seven of which were related to extreme right-wing ideologies. Right wing terrorism remains a relatively small threat, but it is growing. That is why this Government is taking urgent action to tackle it...

...While the threat we face from Islamist terrorism remains high, we have seen a worrying rise in the warped ideology of the far-right. This year saw the conviction of a dangerous neo-Nazi, whose plot to kill his local MP as well as a police officer was shocking in its cold brutality. Fortunately, he was arrested and has been given a life sentence before he was able to cause harm to our society.

In another sad case a white supremacist in Surrey attacked cars with a baseball bat before brutally stabbing a teenager, inspired by the livestream of the New Zealand mosque attack. He was jailed for over 18 years.
They are all twisted idiots, but to take the approach that it is always going to be an Islamist twisted idiot is to not be congruent with the actuality (about a 1/3rd of terrorist plots disrupted by the UK Security Services are extreme right-wing).

Russ 30-11-2019 18:20

But...we were not wrong. And given the early details of these events (and especially this one) if I was a betting man I probably wouldn’t be out of pocket if we’d gone on gut instinct.

Taf 30-11-2019 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36018749)
The public did not manifestly disarm him, or put an end to his wrongdoing, despite bringing him to the ground and relieving him of his knife.

He had another knife taped to his hand....

Hom3r 01-12-2019 17:08

I think we should back the cop(s) who shot the terrorist dead when they saw his bomb vest.

OK, it was fake, but they didn't know that and if it had been real god knows the death toll.

pip08456 01-12-2019 19:47

Quote:

Terrorists should 'not necessarily' serve full jail term, says Jeremy Corbyn
The guys an idiot.

Link

jfman 01-12-2019 19:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 36018874)
The guys an idiot.

Link

Everyone released, both loyalist and nationalist, under the Good Friday Agreement would still have had to serve full sentences if that was the case.

Likely a deal breaker given the number, on both sides, in the Maze.

Sephiroth 01-12-2019 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36018875)
Everyone released, both loyalist and nationalist, under the Good Friday Agreement would still have had to serve full sentences if that was the case.

Likely a deal breaker given the number, on both sides, in the Maze.

Did Irish terrorists wear suicide vests? Did Islamist terrorists provide warnings of a strike?

jfman 01-12-2019 20:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36018881)
Did Irish terrorists wear suicide vests? Did Islamist terrorists provide warnings of a strike?

I'm not sure the bereaved, or their families, care for the distinction to be honest.

Sephiroth 01-12-2019 20:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36018884)
I'm not sure the bereaved, or their families, care for the distinction to be honest.

A typically shallow answer from you that entirely misses the point.

jfman 01-12-2019 21:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 36018887)
A typically shallow answer from you that entirely misses the point.

“Typically” is rather disrespectful to be honest. Nor have I actually missed the point. Far more people have died on these islands on both sides of the Irish divide than at the hands of Islamic fundamentalists.

I’m not sure why a white terrorist is any more worthy of release than a brown one. Rehabilitation is rehabilitation.

NOTE: I’m not claiming in any way shape or form the attacker the other day was rehabilitated or shouldn’t have been shot given the circumstances. Before anyone twists my words.