Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : Brexit blackout warning to channels. (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33706964)

RichardCoulter 19-10-2018 03:09

Brexit blackout warning to channels.

Channels which fail to properly deal with and inform them of their post Brexit licensing arrangements face being taken off the air.

Sky has been the first to write to channels, including Disney and Discovery, with VM expected to follow suit.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...rexit-blackout

In recent months several channels have been surrendering their Ofcom licenses as they stop uplinking their services from London in favour of other EU countries.

RegularCapital 19-10-2018 20:03

Re: Brexit blackout warning to channels.

In the case of no deal:

1. the UK will fallback on the European Convention on Transfrontier Television Council of Europe agreement, this allows channels to broadcast to audiences in other nations, however not all countries have signed up to it and as the agreement was written in the late 1980's during the early days of satellite TV there's no mention of VOD services. If this is the case, channels can still broadcast from the UK and then use one of their offices in the EU to handle the VOD part, however channels will need both an Ofcom licence and a license from a EU/EEA member state. The UK is leaving the EU and not the Council of Europe which has nothing to do with the EU. Any UK produced show will still continue to be "European" because of ECTT and will still count towards European content quotas. It's highly unlikely ECTT will be amended to include the missing EU countries, as the EU Audiovisual Media Services Directive (AVMSD) has superseded ECTT for EU member states but incorporates it.

2. Although there's an impasse on a trade agreement because of the Irish border issue, there's no reason for the services (financial services, broadcasting etc.) part of the agreement (as well as other reciprocal agreements) not to be implemented, the only thing stopping the deal is finding a technical solution for near frictionless cross-border trade for physical goods, the Brexit deal is actually a series of agreements and 90% of it is done, that would be two years of complex negotiations gone down the drain.

3. If the above fails, the EU can still make separate arrangements with the UK, including reciprocal agreements, like they already done with other non-EU countries. This can include filling the gaps of ECTT and to include VOD.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...no-brexit-deal

I yet to see any evidence of channels leaving, in fact I've noticed that Disney recently moved over some of their other EU licenses over to the UK.

RichardCoulter 19-10-2018 20:44

I doubt that Sky and the other companies will be doing this for the fun of it!

They must believe that this action is neccesary in order to cover themselves.

Mad Max 19-10-2018 20:52

Jesus H, what next to stop us leaving, what a load of utter dross!

BenMcr 20-10-2018 12:10

It's not to stop us leaving, it's to ensure that everything is in place when we leave to minimise changes to services.

Taf 20-10-2018 12:46

More remoaner Project Fear.

Carth 20-10-2018 13:11

Any idea of how much applying for the new licence will cost?

. . . and hands up all those who think they'll get refused one :rolleyes:

Meng 20-10-2018 13:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35967178)

Anyone who uses the word 'remoaner' can safely be ignored.

RichardCoulter 20-10-2018 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 35967185)
Any idea of how much applying for the new licence will cost?

. . . and hands up all those who think they'll get refused one :rolleyes:

It's not about cost or any channel being refused one as, if all the conditions are met, Ofcom (in the case of the UK) must issue a licence. It's about TV platforms ensuring that channels make any neccessary arrangements in order to prevent themselves from getting prosecuted for broadcasting unlicensed and, therefore, unauthorised services.

You might think that it is a given that this is done in order to stay in business, but every year some channels fail to pay the annual fee or other compliance issues, just in the same way that bars fail to renew their alcohol licenses and then complain if they are effectively closed down.

daveeb 20-10-2018 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35967178)

No it's not, as explained elsewhere in the thread.

Hom3r 20-10-2018 22:17

Well lets hope that shower called Eurovision Song Contest is effected.

Raider999 20-10-2018 22:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 35967246)

Indeed also any reality to show:td:

spiderplant 20-10-2018 22:55

Quote:

It won't be. The European Broadcasting Union is unrelated to the EU.

And you've got a lot to thank the EBU for. See the "Technical Activities" section here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe...dcasting_Union

djmagnifique 21-10-2018 00:58

Quote:

The UK is one of the founding members of the contest, we are always entered in it regardless.

Raider999 21-10-2018 13:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by djmagnifique (Post 35967261)
The UK is one of the founding members of the contest, we are always entered in it regardless.

Unfortunately, really don't know why we bother:confused:

OLD BOY 21-10-2018 16:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35967285)
Unfortunately, really don't know why we bother:confused:

Well, if we all stopped watching it maybe we'd give up Eurovision as a bad job. The more you watch it, the more it will go on, and on...

RichardCoulter 21-10-2018 17:56

We pour so much money into it to be unfairly treated by the other countries collaborating against us too. I know it's only a song show, but perhaps it represents their attitude regarding other, more important, things too.

Maybe we should pull out until they agree to stop this behaviour as it's not in the spirit of why the contest began.

ozsat 21-10-2018 18:25

Let ITV have it - they can make it a Premium Rate telephone charge to vote - and go to an ad-break as the winner is revealed.
Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35967309)
We pour so much money into it to be unfairly treated by the other countries collaborating against us too. I know it's only a song show, but perhaps it represents their attitude regarding other, more important, things too.

Maybe we should pull out until they agree to stop this behaviour as it's not in the spirit of why the contest began.

OLD BOY 21-10-2018 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozsat (Post 35967317)
Let ITV have it - they can make it a Premium Rate telephone charge to vote - and go to an ad-break as the winner is revealed.

I think it should go to UKTV. Then we could (nearly) all ignore it.

denphone 21-10-2018 19:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35967330)
I think it should go to UKTV. Then we could (nearly) all ignore it.

Not a lover of it personally but then millions love it.

Raider999 21-10-2018 22:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35967331)
Not a lover of it personally but then millions love it.

Do they?

Mr K 21-10-2018 22:28

Losing TV channels will be the least of our worries with Brexit.

denphone 22-10-2018 04:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35967356)
Do they?

Just for you Raider999.;)

https://eurovoix.com/2018/05/13/unit...ase-by-200000/

OLD BOY 22-10-2018 08:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35967361)

So you say, Mr K. We'll all look back in five years and wonder what all the fuss was about. We will start losing channels over the coming years, but that will be related to the increase in the use of on demand services rather than Brexit, for which we will have a separate agreement with the EU.

Mick 22-10-2018 09:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35967361)

We will not be turning this thread in to another debate on Brexit. Keep it to the issues on the channels.

RichardCoulter 27-11-2018 15:21

Ireland receives first post-Brexit licence application.

It’s emerged the Irish media regulator has received its first licence application from a UK-based broadcaster seeking to maintain distribution after Brexit.

Speaking at the Mediacon television and content conference in Dublin, Michael O’Keeffe, chief executive of the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland (BAI), confirmed the regulator had received such an application but declined to say who from.

Source : https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2018...eid=231a17ad03

RichardCoulter 24-12-2018 14:13

TV5 will be closing in January 2019 and Worldbox will be closing on 1/2/19.

Presumably they didn't think it worth the hassle of getting a licence from Ofcom to transmit to the UK

gba93 24-12-2018 14:25

I think I probably agree with them.

Mad Max 24-12-2018 16:13

I think they wont be missed!

heero_yuy 24-12-2018 17:31

Makes me think of the Mikado and the lord high executioner: "I've got a little list. of those who'll not be missed" :D

Tricky Trevor 24-12-2018 18:38

No more EuroNews and Eurosport?

Raider999 26-12-2018 22:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tricky Trevor (Post 35976819)

I haven't watched anything on Eurosport for years

alwaysabear 26-12-2018 22:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tricky Trevor (Post 35976819)

I believe Discovery which own Eurosport have a British Broadcasting licence.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44307883

cje85 26-12-2018 23:33

It is down to the individual channel to hold a UK licence rather than the parent company. Eurosport UK doesn't have an Ofcom license. They will need to acquire one soon and move their satellite uplink to the UK if it is still based in Paris.

vincerooney 28-12-2018 19:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meng (Post 35967188)
Anyone who uses the word 'remoaner' can safely be ignored.

Aye agreed. I think people honestly think its as easy to say "we're leaving" and its done and dusted. The amount of european laws which need to be copied over technically into our legalisation hundreds of thousands...nothing of this size with a country of our size has been done before its an incredibly complex thing. Will the channels be blacked out? No i see no reason. Is there a bloody lot of work to do before brexit to ensure a smooth transition for channels you bet your bottom yes. So its not project fear or remoaning its being realistic.

Anyway enough politics chat from me it bores me these days- 2019 should be interesting regardless for virgin media

RichardCoulter 29-12-2018 11:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 35977117)
Aye agreed. I think people honestly think its as easy to say "we're leaving" and its done and dusted. The amount of european laws which need to be copied over technically into our legalisation hundreds of thousands...nothing of this size with a country of our size has been done before its an incredibly complex thing. Will the channels be blacked out? No i see no reason. Is there a bloody lot of work to do before brexit to ensure a smooth transition for channels you bet your bottom yes. So its not project fear or remoaning its being realistic.

Anyway enough politics chat from me it bores me these days- 2019 should be interesting regardless for virgin media

Unfortunately, some (admittedly minority) channels have now confirmed that they have/will be closing in the UK.

Taf 29-12-2018 13:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 35976809)
I think they wont be missed!

My missus watches TV5 daily.

Mad Max 30-12-2018 18:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taf (Post 35977205)
My missus watches TV5 daily.

Be interesting to see how many actually do.

Media Boy UK 30-12-2018 19:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35977180)
Unfortunately, some (admittedly minority) channels have now confirmed that they have/will be closing in the UK.

BabeNation (Channel 981) may close due to Brexit it have an Holland Broadcasting licence.*

*We have seen that info on the web over the years.

Chris 31-12-2018 00:59

So they don’t flash it up on screen then? :naughty:

Mad Max 31-12-2018 14:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 35977351)
BabeNation (Channel 981) may close due to Brexit it have an Holland Broadcasting licence.*

lmfao, why would anyone watch that trash, there's more than enough of that stuff online....;)

RichardCoulter 13-01-2019 02:19

Latest news on Discovery and Bloomberg changes to continue operating if we leave with a no deal Brexit:

https://www.a516digital.com/2019/01/...ations-to.html

Media Boy UK 14-01-2019 21:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35976802)
TV5 will be closing in January 2019 and Worldbox will be closing on 1/2/19.

Presumably they didn't think it worth the hassle of getting a licence from Ofcom to transmit to the UK

A516Digital is reporting TV5 will brexit Virgin Media UK on Friday (January 18th).

---------- Post added at 21:21 ---------- Previous post was at 21:19 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 35977351)

The OFCOM web site has confirmed tonight at Babenation has now got an UK Broadcasting licence.

Hugh 14-01-2019 21:32

That’s a stroke of luck...

vincerooney 14-01-2019 23:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35979298)
That’s a stroke of luck...

boom boom! Well played.

Surely british eurosport has a british license already otherwise we'd have been getting the normal european version? (havent turned on eurosport for years but i assume its still called british eurosport)

Media Boy UK 14-01-2019 23:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincerooney (Post 35979308)
boom boom! Well played.

Surely british eurosport has a british license already otherwise we'd have been getting the normal european version? (havent turned on eurosport for years but i assume its still called british eurosport)

Well since Discovery took over Eurosport.

The Eurosports channels has been rebranded as Eurosport 1 and Eurosport 2 with Quest helping them if they have to broadcast too much LIVE Sport.

OLD BOY 15-01-2019 06:57

Quote:

boom boom! Well played.

Yes, they already have a licence to broadcast in this country. However they need another licence to broadcast to other EU countries if we Brexit with no dsal.

Chris 15-01-2019 12:25

Quote:

boom boom! Well played.

Despite the name, they don’t need a British licence under current rules. They only need a broadcast licence from any EU country to broadcast anywhere in the EU.

RichardCoulter 15-01-2019 18:15

This is from May 2018, but it does show that Discovery have been taking steps to keep their channels on air should the UK leave the EU without a deal:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...st-brexit-plan

RichardCoulter 19-01-2019 12:16

Broadband TV news has posted this about the BBC should we leave the EU without a deal:

Brexit: BBC domestic channels to lose international distribution.

In case of a ‘no-deal-Brexit’ the BBC is set to lose the international distribution of its domestic channels in Ireland, The Netherlands and Belgium.

At the moment, five domestic BBC channels are distributed via cable and IPTV networks, as a result of so-called ‘overspill’ reception in the three neighbouring countries.

The channels involved are BBC One, BBC Two, BBC Four, CBeebies and CBBC. Distribution of these channels brings in a significant amount of money for the BBC.
Carriage of the domestic channels has grown historically, as people in the neighbouring countries were able to pick up the BBC signals from terrestrial transmitters. Under European law, it was possible for distribution platforms to carry these channels, who operate under a UK Ofcom licence.

After a ‘no-deal-Brexit’ these UK licences are no longer be valid in the European Union and distributing platforms such as Telenet in Belgium and Ziggo and KPN in The Netherlands will have to cease distribution of the domestic channels.

Spokespersons of Telenet and Ziggo said they do not want to speculate about possible consequences of a ‘no-deal-Brexit’. Both are studying the judicial consequences and will follow instructions from the media authorities, such as the Commissariaat voor de Media in The Netherlands.

The commercial channels of the BBC, such as BBC First, BBC Entertainment and BBC World News will not be affected, but the British broadcaster will need to apply for an EU licence in another country in the Union.

Talks are under way with media authorities in the Republic of Ireland and in The Netherlands, but a spokesperson for the Dutch Commissariaat voor de Media refused to comment. The BBC said it is not commenting on speculation, other than to say “We will be keeping the situation under close review to ensure that we can continue to best serve our audiences in any changed regulatory environment.”

Getting a broadcast licence in another country would require the BBC to have their head office (of the international operations), a significant part of their workforce (at least the people who are responsible for programming) and a satellite up-link in the country to qualify for a licence there. Such a licence would be a solution for the commercial channels, but would not work for the domestic channels.

Due to the unclear validity of the Ofcom licences in other European countries in the course of Brexit, Turner Broadcasting System and NBC Universal had also applied for German licences for their international channels previously licensed by Ofcom. Bavarian media authority BLM granted the licences in mid-December 2018. Sports broadcaster DAZN has applied for a licence in Berlin, while Discovery recently opted for the Netherlands.

Media Boy UK 20-01-2019 14:57

Do anyone if TV5 is still broadcasting in EU's Ireland on Virgin Media Ireland?

Chris 20-01-2019 19:44

Any chance of giving us that in English? :erm:

Mad Max 20-01-2019 20:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35980143)

Exactly...........:erm:

cje85 20-01-2019 21:26

Quote:

boom boom! Well played.

Surely british eurosport has a british license already otherwise we'd have been getting the normal european version?

No, British Eurosport is licensed in France and doesn't have an Ofcom licence at present. A TV channel doesn't need a UK broadcasting license even if it is aimed specifically at the UK. It only needs to be licensed in any EU nation. From the end of March this will all change for the UK.

There is now a flurry of activity as broadcasters move licences in and out of the UK in preparation for whatever happens on 29th March.

RichardCoulter 20-01-2019 21:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35980143)

I think MB is asking if TV5 Monde has also been removed from VM Ireland. Seeing as France and the ROI will be remaining in the EU, there doesn't appear to be any licensing issues which would lead them to also pull the channel from the republic.

But they might have done, I don't know!

RichardCoulter 21-01-2019 23:05

There's a chance that some radio stations on satellite/cable will be affected if they don't hold OFCOM licences, possibly including RTE which doesn't appear to be licenced by Ofcom and is presumably currently using its Irish licences to broadcast on sat/cable, which is allowed under EU rules.

http://static.ofcom.org.uk/static/ra...llite-main.htm).

Courtesy of Omnidirectional.

Chris 22-01-2019 16:09

In the long run, I have to say I’m happier that broadcasters targeting the U.K. will have to have a UK issued licence. The present system makes a mockery of national sovereignty in this important area.

RichardCoulter 13-03-2019 20:29

This seems to sum the situation up:

https://www.mhc.ie/brexit/brexit-ins...-to-know-today

Billymediasetup 13-03-2019 23:32

What,,,,,,, calm down ....all will be well, Folks.

cupcakes aka dd 14-03-2019 15:49

I blame Trump and the Russians

Hugh 14-03-2019 16:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by cupcakes aka dd (Post 35986632)
I blame Trump and the Russians

I have to disagree...

I blame the Russians and Trump... :D

Mr K 14-03-2019 17:31

Good News. Taking Pictures will be unaffected by Brexit :).
However the Health Service, jobs and general prosperity will .....

vincerooney 15-03-2019 19:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35980376)
In the long run, I have to say I’m happier that broadcasters targeting the U.K. will have to have a UK issued licence. The present system makes a mockery of national sovereignty in this important area.

hahaha i assume this is sarcasm- well played good sir.

richard s 15-03-2019 20:16

In a nut shell who cares.

Mad Max 16-03-2019 14:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard s (Post 35986877)

Totally agree,,

RichardCoulter 25-03-2019 09:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard s (Post 35986877)

Those who have/may lose access to various channels/programmes?

Those in the industry who have/will lose their jobs?

Those who have investments in any affected channels?

The Government as trade/jobs are lost to other countries?

Raider999 25-03-2019 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35988539)
Those who have/may lose access to various channels/programmes?

Those in the industry who have/will lose their jobs?

Those who have investments in any affected channels?

The Government as trade/jobs are lost to other countries?

Is this yet more No-deal Brexit scaremongering?

Can you give us a list of channels that are going to disappear?

Media Boy UK 25-03-2019 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35988606)

Both TV5 & WorldBox has gone so far as due to Brexit. (I cant wait - roll on April 12th)

Raider999 25-03-2019 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Media Boy (Post 35988607)
TV5
WorldBox

If that is it I am sure my life won't change

RichardCoulter 25-03-2019 19:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35988606)

Nope, it's a factual thread not concerned with the pros and cons of staying in or leaving the EU.

pip08456 25-03-2019 19:38

So it's just the thread title that's scaremongering then.

Mad Max 25-03-2019 19:39

Bring it on, the more rubbish that they bin because of Brexit, the better imo.

RichardCoulter 25-03-2019 19:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35988609)
If that is it I am sure my life won't change

Many channels that don't broadcast to the UK, but broadcast to other EU countries from the UK, have surrendered their Ofcom licenses and started broadcasting from other EU countries. Nevertheless, this has led to a loss of jobs and income for the UK.

Some that did broadcast to the UK from abroad eg TV5 Monde decided it wasn't worth the hassle and closed their UK TV feeds.

Raider999 25-03-2019 21:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35988617)
Many channels that don't broadcast to the UK, but broadcast to other EU countries from the UK, have surrendered their Ofcom licenses and started broadcasting from other EU countries. Nevertheless, this has led to a loss of jobs and income for the UK.

Some that did broadcast to the UK from abroad eg TV5 Monde decided it wasn't worth the hassle and closed their UK TV feeds.

As there are "many" can you name some?

RichardCoulter 26-03-2019 14:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35988641)
As there are "many" can you name some?

https://www.tvbeurope.com/business/b...s-away-from-uk

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/dis...it-1203105429/