Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Internet Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Superhub : WiFi what speeds should I expect? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707556)

The Yank 02-04-2019 11:03

WiFi what speeds should I expect?

Hi,
I'm not technical so be gentle with me please LOL

My incoming speed is meant to be 360MBPS (I usually get 384).
I hadn't noticed how slow my WiFi is till I had several complaints from visitors yesterday. I have been doing constant checks since.
Sitting at my desk just 2 feet from the SH3 I get the following:
on mobile (android) I get between 20 and 30 MBPS
on my laptop (wireless) I get between 30 and 50 MBPS
****note when I paid for 200MBPS I usually got about 78MBPS WiFi***

upstairs in my bedroom using the Powerline WiFi extender supplied by VM I only get between 2 and 3 MBPS which is ludicrous.

I tried ringing VM but keep speaking to people whose accents I cannot understand (not their fault). I think on one occasion I was told they can't promise a WiFi speed which I understand but I cannot believe mine is so low.
another person suggested the powerline adapter was causing the issue and had me reset both ends. That had no effect.
I haven't gone back to them yet but thought I would see what you think on this forum. Could it be as simple as a faulty Hub?

Thanks in advance.

Hugh 02-04-2019 12:51

Re: WiFi what speeds should I expect?

Have you tried a speed test with something that has a wired connection to the Hub?

That will let you know what speed is coming into the premise.

The Yank 02-04-2019 13:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35989637)
Have you tried a speed test with something that has a wired connection to the Hub?

That will let you know what speed is coming into the premise.

yes - as stated above my pc is ethernet connected and I regularly get about 384mbps using speedtest.net's desktop app.

Topgun 02-04-2019 14:43

Have you tried re-booting the hub? Sometimes something as simple as that can solve a problem.

The Yank 02-04-2019 14:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topgun (Post 35989649)
Have you tried re-booting the hub? Sometimes something as simple as that can solve a problem.

if only it were that simple :)

I've been with VM 20 years so that is one trick I learned along time ago LOL,

Topgun 02-04-2019 14:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Yank (Post 35989650)
if only it were that simple :)

I've been with VM 20 years so that is one trick I learned along time ago LOL,

Sorry for stating the bleeding obvious, but you never know!!!

daveeb 02-04-2019 15:06

Have you tried seperating out the 2.4 and 5.0 GHz channels (i.e. rename them with unique ssid's) which I think by default are combined and can by all accounts cause wifi speed issues when working in auto allocation mode.

SnoopZ 02-04-2019 15:24

It could easily be your wifi devices that are not capable of that speed so are the bottle neck, for example i could only get around 80mbit on my LG G3 android phone and Nexus 10 tablet but as soon as i purchased more modern devices such as a Samsung Galaxy S7, Samsung Tab S2 and a Samsung Tab A, i was able to max my connection speed out a 220mbit.

The Yank 02-04-2019 15:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35989656)
It could easily be your wifi devices that are not capable of that speed so are the bottle neck, for example i could only get around 80mbit on my LG G3 android phone and Nexus 10 tablet but as soon as i purchased more modern devices such as a Samsung Galaxy S7, Samsung Tab S2 and a Samsung Tab A, i was able to max my connection speed out a 220mbit.

wow - I'd die for wifi speeds like that (not literally LOL)

my son checked on his IPHONE which knowing him is the latest.

I tried on my HP Pavilion laptop wirelessly and still couldn't get over 50mbps.

---------- Post added at 15:45 ---------- Previous post was at 15:43 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveeb (Post 35989653)
Have you tried seperating out the 2.4 and 5.0 GHz channels (i.e. rename them with unique ssid's) which I think by default are combined and can by all accounts cause wifi speed issues when working in auto allocation mode.

I don't feel comy with that but will see if I can get my son to remote in.

---------- Post added at 15:46 ---------- Previous post was at 15:45 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topgun (Post 35989651)
Sorry for stating the bleeding obvious, but you never know!!!

was a good suggestion - as you say you never know. so thx

djmagnifique 02-04-2019 17:26

Try connecting to a different server in the speedtest. I've just done a speedtest on my mobile on a server 3 miles away from me and only got 12Mbps down (yes 12Mbps), I changed it to a server in Manchester 80 miles away and hit 190Mbps.

jb66 02-04-2019 21:48

Id log into the hub and check 5ghz is enabled and smart wifi is disabled. When you do that you can check the channel width is set to 20/40/80