Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Shootings at 2 New Zealand Mosques (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707495)

Jimmy-J 15-03-2019 03:21

Shootings at 2 New Zealand Mosques

Quote:

Police are responding to a shooting at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand. Reports suggest at least nine people have been killed. One person is in custody.

The shooter entered the Masjid Al Noor mosque 10 minutes after prayers began and let off “dozens, if not hundreds of rounds,” witness Ahmad al-Mahmoud told New Zealand outlet Stuff. He described the man as white-skinned, blond, short, and wearing a helmet and bulletproof vest.
https://www.rt.com/news/453857-new-z...osque-shooter/

Quote:

New Zealand police say they have taken into custody three men and one woman over the shootings at two mosques in Christchurch.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern called the events Friday afternoon “one of New Zealand’s darkest days.”

The shootings involved multiple fatalities but authorities have not said how many.

New Zealand Police Commissioner Mike Bush said police have defused a number of improvised explosive devices found on vehicles after the mosque shootings.

A man who claimed responsibility for the shootings left a 74-page anti-immigrant manifesto in which he explained who he was and his reasoning for his actions. He said he considered it a terrorist attack.
https://apnews.com/ea1a8d5dcc2746fd95e7b5cb0e509949

1andrew1 15-03-2019 06:37

Re: Shootings at 2 New Zealand Mosques

Sky News reporting at least 40 people dead.
https://news.sky.com/story/live-sign...sques-11665829

denphone 15-03-2019 06:47

A terrible loss of life.:(

Hugh 15-03-2019 07:16

Horrific.

TheDaddy 15-03-2019 07:38

Tragic, seems trivial to point this out but wasn't the lead murderer an immigrant to...

Jimmy-J 15-03-2019 07:40

Quote:

In the dossier, he made reference to the horrific Skaf gang rapes in Sydney in the year 2000. But his manifesto suggested he was preoccupied with rapes that had occurred in England and more recently in Germany by non-Europeans.

In particular, he referenced the sexual exploitation of approximately 1400 children in the northern English town of Rotherham in the late 1980s, 1990s and 2000s, primarily by British-Pakistani men.

Along with references to Rotherham, inscriptions on Tarrant's equipment mentioned Alexandre Bissonnette and Luca Traini, mass shooters in Canada and Italy respectively.
https://www.theage.com.au/world/ocea...o.html?ref=rss

Rotherham was written on one of the weapons he used.

40 confirmed dead.

TheDaddy 15-03-2019 08:22

49 confirmed dead now

Damien 15-03-2019 08:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaddy (Post 35986717)
Tragic, seems trivial to point this out but wasn't the lead murderer an immigrant to...

Australian it seems.

He had some sort of manifesto and was streaming it on social media. I read one story that he shot a young girl who ran screaming for help.

---------- Post added at 08:33 ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 ----------

So much hate

Jimmy-J 15-03-2019 09:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35986727)
Australian it seems.

He had some sort of manifesto and was streaming it on social media. I read one story that he shot a young girl who ran screaming for help.

---------- Post added at 08:33 ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 ----------

So much hate

He shot her down then ran over her dead body as he left.

Russ 15-03-2019 09:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmy-J (Post 35986746)
He shot her down then ran over her dead body as he left.

Just saw it. Made me sick.

Maggy 15-03-2019 10:26

Cowards!

nomadking 15-03-2019 12:06

If only all the attacks on churches around the world received the same media attention.

mrmistoffelees 15-03-2019 12:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 35986777)
If only all the attacks on churches around the world received the same media attention.

49 innocent people have just been murdered and you choose this as a good time to come out with that crap.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

nomadking 15-03-2019 12:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 35986780)
49 innocent people have just been murdered and you choose this as a good time to come out with that crap.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

And how many people have been killed in churches and indeed mosques, prior to this. I'm trying to draw attention to those innocent victims that are never mentioned. The real "fake news" problem is what ISN'T reported.

mrmistoffelees 15-03-2019 12:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 35986783)
And how many people have been killed in churches and indeed mosques, prior to this. I'm trying to draw attention to those innocent victims that are never mentioned. The real "fake news" problem is what ISN'T reported.

There is a time and place...

You're quite obviously aware of neither.

nomadking 15-03-2019 12:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees (Post 35986785)
There is a time and place...

You're quite obviously aware of neither.

And the time and place for mentioning the "forgotten" was at the times when it happened, but did it happen to the same extent?

Link
Quote:

It’s not a coincidence that all of these countries—except North Korea and Eritrea—are predominately Muslim. In fact, “Islamic extremism remains the global, dominant driver of persecution, responsible for initiating oppression and conflict in 35 of the 50 countries on the list,” Open Doors stated.

“In the north and Middle Belt of Nigeria … at least 3,700 Christians were killed for their faith—almost double the number of a year ago (an estimated 2,000)—with villages completely abandoned by Christians forced to flee, as their armed attackers then move in to settle, with impunity,” wrote World Watch Monitor in its analysis of the list.

Maggy 15-03-2019 12:35

Some respect for the victims please who are the real topic.

Damien 15-03-2019 12:51

Seems like the guy was into white nationalism and 'great replacement' theories. Some alt-right figures have been removing their videos on YouTube this morning.

Russ 15-03-2019 12:58

Also seems like some left-wing outlets are trying to palm him off as a "Christian terrorist" when his manifesto appears to lean more towards white supremacy than Christian.

1andrew1 15-03-2019 19:16

A very sad day - my thoughts are with the victims' families and friends.
Shocked to read of the gunman's footage being shared on social media.

richard s 15-03-2019 20:03

Peace and respect to the victims of this diabolical act, and best wishes to their family and friends. Sadly I think there could well be some form of reprisals happening in the near future... Hopefully not.

RichardCoulter 17-03-2019 18:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35986865)
A very sad day - my thoughts are with the victims' families and friends.
Shocked to read of the gunman's footage being shared on social media.

Says a lot about the character of those who watch or share the footage as if it were some sort of entertainment.

This is as shocking as the event itself.

Damien 17-03-2019 18:37

MI5 are investigating any associates/links to the far-right the shooter may have had in Britain: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/m...oter-qcnl03ck8

Quote:

A white supremacist who led a gun attack on mosques in New Zealand in which at least 49 people were killed is being investigated over possible links to right-wing extremists in Britain.

Shortly before the killings Brenton Tarrant published a “manifesto” in which he said that he had been inspired by Islamophobic violence in Britain, including the attack on a mosque in Finsbury Park, London.

MI5 is leading the inquiry into the terrorist’s links in Britain after he called for his followers to kill Sadiq Khan, the Muslim mayor of London.

Dude111 19-03-2019 01:09

Yes this is very sad............... :(

They wont pretend it didnt happen like the US seems to do........

ianch99 19-03-2019 08:39

Can we swap Mrs May for this PM?

'Real leaders do exist': Jacinda Ardern uses solace and steel to guide a broken nation

We need this approach to the same problem we face in this country ..

broadbandking 24-03-2019 19:38

Whilst I don't agree with what this bloke did it was only a matter of time something like this happened, its sad because its a never ending circle.

Hugh 24-03-2019 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by broadbandking (Post 35988459)
Whilst I don't agree with what this bloke did it was only a matter of time something like this happened, its sad because its a never ending circle.

Why was it a matter of time?

Sephiroth 30-03-2019 09:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35988487)
Why was it a matter of time?

Incompatible cultures.

Hugh 30-03-2019 11:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 35989138)
Incompatible cultures.

I’ve worked in NZ a lot, and the Maoris are very welcoming and friendly.

btw, it was an Aussie who carried out the shootings, not a Kiwi, and they have very different mind-sets.

Sephiroth 30-03-2019 12:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 35989152)
I’ve worked in NZ a lot, and the Maoris are very welcoming and friendly.

btw, it was an Aussie who carried out the shootings, not a Kiwi, and they have very different mind-sets.

I think you're deliberately avoiding my point about incompatible cultures. The Maoris were furthest from my thinking (and I've worked there too).

Were a certain culture to confine itself to its region of origin, then there is less opportunity for the zealots of that culture to bring out the worst unrepresentative of the European culture as perpetated by that Aussie murderer.

nomadking 30-03-2019 12:21

It's more about the behaviour of the group that is not allowed to be criticised.

Chris 30-03-2019 12:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 35989153)
I think you're deliberately avoiding my point about incompatible cultures. The Maoris were furthest from my thinking (and I've worked there too).

Were a certain culture to confine itself to its region of origin, then there is less opportunity for the zealots of that culture to bring out the worst unrepresentative of the European culture as perpetated by that Aussie murderer.

This sounds an awful lot like victim blaming.

Sephiroth 30-03-2019 12:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35989157)
This sounds an awful lot like victim blaming.

How can I be doing that? I'm at a much higher level of abstraction.

Hugh 30-03-2019 14:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 35989153)

Wow!

"If only they had stayed where they came from, this wouldn’t have happened".. :rolleyes:

Chris 30-03-2019 14:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 35989158)
How can I be doing that? I'm at a much higher level of abstraction.

I think you think you’re being abstract, but there’s nothing abstract about four dozen people being murdered for practicing a religion outside of its region of origin.*

“Reducing opportunity” is the same argument used to insinuate that a woman’s choice of Friday night outfit is a factor when she gets raped. You simply can’t advocate simplistic cause and effect arguments in situations where humans are involved. We are moral beings; we don’t operate from instinct, we have moral understanding of one kind or another and we make moral choices.

If a man rapes a woman, that is entirely due to his disregard for what society considers morally abhorrent; likewise if a man guns down a lot of Muslims.

* Fun fact, Christianity also originated in the Middle East, as did Judaism for that matter.

Sephiroth 30-03-2019 16:29

Tut, Tut Hugh and Chris. The origins of Judeo-Christianity has nothing to do with this other than they did not become modern day belief systems that led to zealots being terrorists.

If certain cultures are incompatible, that should be recognised rather than dancing ound the subject with love thy neighbour platitudes.

ianch99 30-03-2019 18:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 35989181)
Tut, Tut Hugh and Chris. The origins of Judeo-Christianity has nothing to do with this other than they did not become modern day belief systems that led to zealots being terrorists.

If certain cultures are incompatible, that should be recognised rather than dancing ound the subject with love thy neighbour platitudes.

You are being too simplistic here. Define "culture"? You are assigning the same moral code and religious dogma to all Muslims. They, as we do in the West, have a spectrum of moral & belief constructs: some facist and evil, most benign and inclusive.

The far-right trap, repeated throughout history, is one of: "look, they are not like us, it must be their fault".

Sephiroth 30-03-2019 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 35989189)
You are being too simplistic here. Define "culture"? You are assigning the same moral code and religious dogma to all Muslims. They, as we do in the West, have a spectrum of moral & belief constructs: some facist and evil, most benign and inclusive.
[SEPH]: How can you say that? Where have I said that? I'm saying that the cultures are so different that one of them generates zealots who interpret their culture into terrorism. The non-zealots are obviously victims too as events have shown not only through murderous acts but by being shunned for their ethnicity.

The far-right trap, repeated throughout history, is one of: "look, they are not like us, it must be their fault". [SEPH]: If your statement is a generalisation confined to the far-right, then I agree. If you are associating me with the far-right, you'd need to apologise.

nomadking 30-03-2019 19:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35989172)
I think you think you’re being abstract, but there’s nothing abstract about four dozen people being murdered for practicing a religion outside of its region of origin.*

“Reducing opportunity” is the same argument used to insinuate that a woman’s choice of Friday night outfit is a factor when she gets raped. You simply can’t advocate simplistic cause and effect arguments in situations where humans are involved. We are moral beings; we don’t operate from instinct, we have moral understanding of one kind or another and we make moral choices.

If a man rapes a woman, that is entirely due to his disregard for what society considers morally abhorrent; likewise if a man guns down a lot of Muslims.

* Fun fact, Christianity also originated in the Middle East, as did Judaism for that matter.

There are MANY cases where Muslims kill other Muslims, simply for being the wrong "type" of Muslim. There are MANY other attacks on Mosques(and Churches) by ..... Muslims. And that is before you get into the attacks of various kinds on non-Muslims for being non-Muslim by ..... Muslims.

Damien 30-03-2019 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 35989197)
There are MANY cases where Muslims kill other Muslims, simply for being the wrong "type" of Muslim. There are MANY other attacks on Mosques(and Churches) by ..... Muslims. And that is before you get into the attacks of various kinds on non-Muslims for being non-Muslim by ..... Muslims.

:confused:

nomadking 30-03-2019 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35989200)
:confused:

Are you seriously suggesting that what I said isn't true?

Damien 30-03-2019 20:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 35989202)
Are you seriously suggesting that what I said isn't true?

How is it relevant to what Chris said? He said people are responsible for their own actions.

Sephiroth 30-03-2019 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35989204)
How is it relevant to what Chris said? He said people are responsible for their own actions.

It's highly relevant to what I said. Some people are dancing around the subject because it is potentially delicate, imo.

ianch99 31-03-2019 10:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sephiroth (Post 35989195)
?

If you embed your replies in someone else's then this happens :)

As to your point: if you generalise then, as I mentioned, you can fall into the historical trap I outlined.

You talk about "incompatible cultures". This has no real world meaning as it is too coarse grained to apply in any meaningful sense. It is the Islamist ideology that is the danger here not the Muslim population per se. This distinction must always be made ..

1andrew1 31-03-2019 10:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomadking (Post 35989197)

I don't see the relevance of this post and it doesn't address Chris's point that you cannot blame the victims of crimes. And, you could cut and paste "Christian" in place of "Muslim" in that sentence if you wanted to.

Maggy 31-03-2019 11:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 35989260)

As to your point: if you generalise then, as I mentioned, you can fall into the historical trap I outlined.

You talk about "incompatible cultures". This has no real world meaning as it is too coarse grained to apply in any meaningful sense. It is the Islamist ideology that is the danger here not the Muslim population per se. This distinction must always be made ..

:tu:

---------- Post added at 11:40 ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35989265)
I don't see the relevance of this thread and it doesn't address Chris's point that you cannot blame the victims of crimes. And, you could cut and paste "Christian" in place of "Muslim" in that sentence if you wanted to.

:tu:

---------- Post added at 11:45 ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 ----------

Not all Christians,Hindus,Sikhs,Buddhists are homogeneous and they all have their dissidents within their religion.Islam or Muslims are no different and to lump everyone in a religious group as having the same viewpoint and attitudes is very,very simplistic.

Sephiroth 31-03-2019 11:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 35989260)

Where I used the word "culture" please substitute "ideology" where the context permits.

Russ 31-03-2019 19:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35989271)
Not all Christians,Hindus,Sikhs,Buddhists are homogeneous and they all have their dissidents within their religion.Islam or Muslims are no different and to lump everyone in a religious group as having the same viewpoint and attitudes is very,very simplistic.

Whilst this is absolutely true nobody in their right mind could ignore the fact that Islam appears to attract far more murderous nutters than any other faith. For whatever reason this part of the problem never seems to be properly addressed by anyone.

Sephiroth 31-03-2019 19:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 35989340)
Whilst this is absolutely true nobody in their right mind could ignore the fact that Islam appears to attract far more murderous nutters than any other faith. For whatever reason this part of the problem never seems to be properly addressed by anyone.

… lest the race card gets played.

Russ 31-03-2019 19:52

Islam isn't a race.

jfman 31-03-2019 20:24

The vast majority of Muslims are just boring ordinary folk doing boring ordinary stuff. Going to pray, going to work, going to shops, feeding the family. The same boring ordinary stuff as everyone else.

It’s ridiculous to assert that some clash of cultures caused anything like this. A racist psychopath with access to weapons did.

Sephiroth 31-03-2019 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 35989342)
Islam isn't a race.

Figure of speech, as if you didn't know.

ianch99 31-03-2019 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 35989340)

Not quite true. The Quilliam Foundation plays an active role in anti-Islamist discussions. Maajid Nawaz, on LBC Radio and a founder member of this Foundation also discusses this regularly on his phone in show.

It is the Government that is not doing enough to promote education & discussion on this important distinction between being Islamist and being Muslim. Maybe this has something to do with the money this country, specifically the powerful armament manufacturers, receives from arm sales to Saudi Arabia, clandestine backers of ISIS.

Maggy 31-03-2019 23:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 35989346)
The vast majority of Muslims are just boring ordinary folk doing boring ordinary stuff. Going to pray, going to work, going to shops, feeding the family. The same boring ordinary stuff as everyone else.

It’s ridiculous to assert that some clash of cultures caused anything like this. A racist psychopath with access to weapons did.

:clap:

Russ 01-04-2019 03:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 35989355)
Not quite true. The Quilliam Foundation plays an active role in anti-Islamist discussions. Maajid Nawaz, on LBC Radio and a founder member of this Foundation also discusses this regularly on his phone in show.

It is the Government that is not doing enough to promote education & discussion on this important distinction between being Islamist and being Muslim. Maybe this has something to do with the money this country, specifically the powerful armament manufacturers, receives from arm sales to Saudi Arabia, clandestine backers of ISIS.

I think it is true. Quilliam does do a lot of research but it does seem to be only them.

Damien 01-04-2019 08:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 35989372)
I think it is true. Quilliam does do a lot of research but it does seem to be only them.

The Governments 'Prevent' program also exists to try and combat radicalisation at an early stage albeit it's focused on all types of extremism.

Russ 01-04-2019 08:52

It would fall short of focussing on why Islam attracts the nutters though but then again we don’t know what work they do behind closed doors.

Hugh 01-04-2019 09:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 35989372)

And the Muslim Council of Britain launched a programme last year.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ive-to-prevent

Unfortunately, bad things make good headlines, while preventative efforts are treated as low profile events by the media.

---------- Post added at 09:01 ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 35989387)
It would fall short of focussing on why Islam attracts the nutters though but then again we don’t know what work they do behind closed doors.

Again, ”Terrorist Muslims" incite fear and make good headlines, whilst stories like these are relegated to the inside pages/not reported/downplayed by some media.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-47645863
Quote:

Far-right extremism poses the biggest security threat to northern England, a counter-terrorism expert has warned.

Speaking anonymously to BBC News, the former Home Office specialist said the threat of right-wing terrorism was not being taken seriously.

Last year, the highest number of right-wing referrals to counter-terrorism programme Prevent came from the north.

The government said it recognised far-right extremism was an emerging threat.
However, the UK's security services said extreme Islamist-based terrorism remained the country's most pressing national security concern.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8794476.html
Quote:

Former members include a man who plotted to murder a Labour MP, another who tried to behead an Asian man in Tesco, a teenager who tried to make a pipe bomb and an extremist who planned a massacre at an LGBT+ pride event.

The proportion of far-right terror suspects has been rising in the UK, and the number of people referred to the Prevent programme over suspected far-right extremism has rocketed by 36 per cent in a year.

In the year to September, 40 per cent of terror suspects arrested were white, 33 per cent were Asian, 12 per cent were black and 14 per cent were recorded as other.

Police say 14 Islamist terror plots and four from far-right extremists have been foiled since the Westminster attack in March 2017.

Russ 01-04-2019 09:02

That’s a preventative measure which is invaluable of course. But none of these appear to answer the question of *why* Islam attracts such a murderous element.

Chris 01-04-2019 09:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 35989392)
That’s a preventative measure which is invaluable of course. But none of these appear to answer the question of *why* Islam attracts such a murderous element.

Wherever there is a dictator seeking to radicalise people to his cause, or a community leader outraged at oppression (whether perceived or real), they will seek to harness the ideology or beliefs of the community to their cause.

Islam exists in many places where those factors presently exist.

Russ 01-04-2019 09:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35989400)
Wherever there is a dictator seeking to radicalise people to his cause, or a community leader outraged at oppression (whether perceived or real), they will seek to harness the ideology or beliefs of the community to their cause.

Islam exists in many places where those factors presently exist.

Oh absolutely but surely that still begs the question of why said dictator/community leader was attracted to Islam in the first place. There are bad apples as leaders in all faiths (as well as in those who don’t have any faith) but they don’t appear to use other religions/beliefs to attract the nutters.

With white supremacists the clue is in the name, they want to be supreme over those they see as “lesser” so at least there a kind of ‘logic’ you can follow to explain (not excuse) their evil acts.

Damien 01-04-2019 09:50

I think the concept of identity is powerful there as well. Giving insecure and socially isolated people a sense of community and identity. That seems to be a common pattern either with Islamic extremism or white nationalism.

---------- Post added at 09:50 ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 35989404)
With white supremacists the clue is in the name, they want to be supreme over those they see as “lesser” so at least there a kind of ‘logic’ you can follow to explain (not excuse) their evil acts.

But is it that different? They're both about being part of a 'tribe' and that being 'threatened' by the outside world...

Russ 01-04-2019 09:52

I do think it’s different (but equally repugnant). The mainstream religions teach about love, peace and tolerance or thereabouts. White supremacy (as I understand it) is as far from these as possible.

Damien 01-04-2019 10:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 35989409)
I do think it’s different (but equally repugnant). The mainstream religions teach about love, peace and tolerance or thereabouts. White supremacy (as I understand it) is as far from these as possible.

Well to be clear I am not equating white nationalism with religion obviously. :D

However I think there is similarity between them with the concept of radicalising, often vulnerable and isolated, people behind some form of community and identity. I also don't think the religion they're feeding these people is the religion of love, peace and tolerance you mean either.

Russ 01-04-2019 10:22

No I agree, that’s why I don’t refer to them as Muslims.

There may well be a similarity but I don’t consider them absolutely comparable. There are murderous elements in both sides obviously but I’m pretty sure you’ll agree it appears those claiming to be of Islam have killed far more than those subscribing to “white supremacy”.

Edit: and for clarity neither am I suggesting one side is any better or worse than the other.

TheDaddy 01-04-2019 13:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 35989387)

Another thing they should look at is how many highly educated people get suckered into the cause, I'm sure there's plenty of nutters but there's a worrying number of highly educated people secumbing to. That and the prisons, the obvious breeding ground where sometimes conversion is based on something as banal as a way of getting better dinners

Chris 01-04-2019 16:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 35989404)
Oh absolutely but surely that still begs the question of why said dictator/community leader was attracted to Islam in the first place. There are bad apples as leaders in all faiths (as well as in those who don’t have any faith) but they don’t appear to use other religions/beliefs to attract the nutters.

Said community leaders are usually already Muslims. They use what they know, they don’t go looking for a novel ideology. The religion forms part of the cultural identity which they claim is being attacked/threatened and which they are standing up for.

At other points in history, and at other times, Christianity has been used in the same way. Hinduism is used as a nationalist cause in India. Even Budddhism has occasionally been used as a rallying point for nationalist violence.

Every religion contains within it enough teaching about the imperative of moral purity to allow someone so minded to twist it into an excuse for violent resistance or crusade.

Russ 01-04-2019 16:33

Again I don’t disagree but surely you can’t overlook how in this day and age it seems to happen far more in Islam (or in its name) than other faiths regardless of location around the globe.

Chris 01-04-2019 16:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 35989477)
Again I don’t disagree but surely you can’t overlook how in this day and age it seems to happen far more in Islam (or in its name) than other faiths regardless of location around the globe.

I don’t overlook it, but your thinking is three-dimensional .... at other points in history Islam hasn’t been that source of trouble, but Christianity has. In the medieval period crusades were an excuse for all sorts of raping and pillaging, and the crusaders sometimes didn’t even wait until they arrived in the Holy Land before getting started.

Russ 01-04-2019 16:53

Yeah I’m aware of that. The point I’m making in relation to history is we can’t change it, we can only change what happens now and in the future. And surely trying to identify why Islam attracts more of the murderous element is a good way to effect just that.

Chris 01-04-2019 16:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russ (Post 35989482)
Yeah I’m aware of that. The point I’m making in relation to history is we can’t change it, we can only change what happens now and in the future. And surely trying to identify why Islam attracts more of the murderous element is a good way to effect just that.

At the risk of going round in circles ... the reason is that the socio-political circumstances that give rise to that sort of violence are presently often to be found amongst the poor and radicalised people whose community religion happens to be Islam.

ianch99 01-04-2019 18:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35989485)
At the risk of going round in circles ... the reason is that the socio-political circumstances that give rise to that sort of violence are presently often to be found amongst the poor and radicalised people whose community religion happens to be Islam.

There is an important point here: the religion of Islam specifically lends itself able to be misrepresented by zealots. The Koran and the Hadith that follows it claim to be the "revealed truth of God" and as such are immutable. The ability of the modern day followers of religions to interpret the holy books is key to being able to defuse and invalidate the attempt to transpose the rules & edicts from 2000 years ago to today's societies.

Even fundamentalist Christians do not try and impose the many capital offense Old Testament laws today whereas the Islamists do exactly this because, and here's the distinction, the Koran is the last revealed truth of God as such cannot be changed.

Chris 01-04-2019 18:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianch99 (Post 35989495)
There is an important point here: the religion of Islam specifically lends itself able to be misrepresented by zealots. The Koran and the Hadith that follows it claim to be the "revealed truth of God" and as such are immutable. The ability of the modern day followers of religions to interpret the holy books is key to being able to defuse and invalidate the attempt to transpose the rules & edicts from 2000 years ago to today's societies.

Even fundamentalist Christians do not try and impose the many capital offense Old Testament laws today whereas the Islamists do exactly this because, and here's the distinction, the Koran is the last revealed truth of God as such cannot be changed.

There are plenty of fundamentalist Christians who try to apply as much of the Old Testament as they can get away with to modern life, believe me.

The difference in interpretive method isn’t due to Muslims holding the Qu’ran to be the “Last Testament”; Christians hold the New Testament also to be the “Last Testament”.

The difference in interpretive practice between Muslims and most Christians is most likely due to the fact that the New Testament claims to be the writing of people who were inspired by God, whereas the earliest Muslim leaders claimed the Qu’ran was actually dictated to Mohammed by God. (This is also why many of them won’t read it in anything other than its original language, Arabic, whereas Christians are content to translate the Bible out of Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek into whatever language they require).