Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tivo V6 : Recordings deleting? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704400)

Raider999 03-02-2017 18:52

Recordings deleting?

New to Virgin (3 weeks) - used to be with sky now have 2 v6 boxes.

Happened to go into one of my first recordings and noticed it was due to delete on Sunday 5th Feb.

Set this recording and all others as keep until I delete - but cannot find anyway of setting options so that this is the default.

Have I missed something?

I really do not want my recordings deleting themselves just because they are a couple of weeks old.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

RobboEdin 03-02-2017 19:39

Re: Recordings deleting?

They won't delete. It's simply a warning that they may delete if space is needed. If you have plenty space, they won't delete.
There is no default setting to allow KUID as it's not a sensible thing to do. Think about what would happen when your space is full of stuff that TiVo can't delete. It would stop performing its primary purpose to record programs.

spiderplant 03-02-2017 21:19

Check the "Keep at most" setting on the series link. It might have been planning to delete them when it records newer episodes.

Raider999 04-02-2017 00:47

Unfortunately, as the V6 has a limited amount of space I might be in the situation where the box deletes things so it can record others - not what I really want.

I do not use series links as I don't trust them - at least if I miss a recording I only have my self to blame.

I suppose I will just have to remember to set to keep until I delete.

spiderplant 04-02-2017 09:45

I can't remember exactly where, but if you have a dig about in the Planned Recordings section it'll tell you why it thinks it might delete something.

Series Links are pretty reliable. If you don't trust them you can always check what it is planning to record

MalteseFalcon 04-02-2017 19:54

Yes, was wondering why not trust series links. Set them right and you are set for (pretty much) life.

OLD BOY 05-02-2017 00:37

The series record option has never let me down, even once.

Hom3r 05-02-2017 14:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 35883874)
Unfortunately, as the V6 has a limited amount of space I might be in the situation where the box deletes things so it can record others - not what I really want.

I do not use series links as I don't trust them - at least if I miss a recording I only have my self to blame.

I suppose I will just have to remember to set to keep until I delete.

My series link recorded programs even after the Christmas break.

OLD BOY 05-02-2017 16:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 35884096)
My series link recorded programs even after the Christmas break.

Yes, it records all year round. :confused:

japitts 07-02-2017 08:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobboEdin (Post 35883856)
They won't delete. It's simply a warning that they may delete if space is needed. If you have plenty space, they won't delete.
There is no default setting to allow KUID as it's not a sensible thing to do. Think about what would happen when your space is full of stuff that TiVo can't delete. It would stop performing its primary purpose to record programs.

What's the trigger point for when stuff does get deleted, providing recordings are all set to "delete until space needed"?

Is it immediately before a scheduled recording that would make the box full? Sounds daft I know - I've jut returned from 6weeks away and last week my box peaked at 93% full. Currently managing at <90% but how we'd have managed without a 1Tb box is beyond me.

We dropped a lot of shows from HD to SD to help space, but now we've reinstated HD recordings it doesn't help space management in the short term...

spiderplant 07-02-2017 08:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by japitts (Post 35884389)
What's the trigger point for when stuff does get deleted, providing recordings are all set to "delete until space needed"?

It's not something you can predict. The thing that usually triggers deletion is extension of the live TV buffers, and when this happens depends of the bit-rate of the channels the tuners are tuned to. But I'd think you are close to the safe limit at 93%.

DJSADERS 07-02-2017 09:08

I haven't got the V6 but on the original TiVo there was an option to manually go through recordings and set it to keep until i delete?

japitts 07-02-2017 09:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiderplant (Post 35884397)
It's not something you can predict. The thing that usually triggers deletion is extension of the live TV buffers, and when this happens depends of the bit-rate of the channels the tuners are tuned to. But I'd think you are close to the safe limit at 93%.

Makes sense, and I thought 93% was sailing a bit close...don't like breaching 90% really to alllow wriggle room.

Seeing several decent new series being advertised at the moment is bad timing....

EDIT: Just realised this is a V6 thread, I'm on the original 1Tb Tivo. But I guess the underlying software is pretty similar.

Raider999 07-02-2017 18:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJSADERS (Post 35884401)
I haven't got the V6 but on the original TiVo there was an option to manually go through recordings and set it to keep until i delete?

Thanks, but I appreciate that - it is just a fad to do it manually, would like an option to set recordings like this automatically at point of recording.

hackenbacker 17-03-2018 08:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35884042)
The series record option has never let me down, even once.

I've had a V6 for a little over a month now, and series link has let me down a few times.

Partly, there is a problem with how some series are collated - for example, it seems to think the Channel 5's Formula E broadcasts are part of the same series as Eurosport's. And as Channel 5 broadcast it over 5 and 5Spike, and Eurosport potentially over both channels, there is no way to set it to record from one broadcaster or the other properly, so you potentially miss broadcasts, or end up with two recordings at the same time (wasting tuners and space).

The more common problem isn't really one of the series link though - but of the EPG not updating. On one hand, the V6 waits far too long between checking for EPG updates (four hours seems like a reasonable window, but when you have late changes to the schedule it's not), although even manually forcing an update, it's often the case that Virgin's EPG hasn't been updated for a schedule change. So the V6 *thinks* that it has recorded an episode, when in fact it hasn't - and unless you know that, and manually set a recording for when the episode is actually shown, you miss it. On every other system, this isn't a problem - you might still get the initial recording, but when the episode is shown properly at a later date, it will get recorded.

Sometimes the V6 tries to be a bit too smart for it's own good, and they don't seem to have a mechanism to tell it that it was wrong.