Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   BT scam call (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707193)

heero_yuy 15-01-2019 17:24

Re: BT scam call

Excellent. Reminds me of the time when I moved into my house. The previous occupant had unfortunately died in hospital so the call went:

"Can I speak to Mrs XYZ?"

"No, I'm terribly sorry she's dead"

Long silence. :D

Maggy 15-01-2019 19:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35979330)
Do you not have caller ID set up(no its free) so you can avoid picking up the phone if you don't recognise the number?

Wrong sort of phone.

spiderplant 18-01-2019 15:51

I used to get calls from someone trying to get me to switch phone provider. Eventually I told them I didn't have a phone. He sounded very confused, but they never called again

RichardCoulter 02-02-2019 17:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35979345)
I had a robot call the other day that sounded like one half of a conversation, with pauses for me to talk back to it. I’m not certain whether it was using AI to select its next response to me. I hung up after a few seconds anyway.

Then I got one from an energy company tout and managed to waste his time for around 7 and a half minutes. I was quite proud of myself :D

According to the former CF member Carl Waring, they make these calls from home (I presume they get paid on commission). For some reason they aren't allowed to use VOIP, so he'll have a problem when VM eventually convert all their phone lines over to this.

It would be interesting to hear him try to sell utility supplies with his pedantic and rude interpersonal demeanour.

Perhaps you were talking to him in person :D

Chris 02-02-2019 20:12

I’ve seen Carl posting on various Facebook pages... if I come across him again I might ask :D

RichardCoulter 02-02-2019 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35981801)
I’ve seen Carl posting on various Facebook pages... if I come across him again I might ask :D

IIRC he said that he thinks it's due to VOIP not being as secure as a normal landline (for confidentiality reasons) or because if there's a power or broadband outage, the phone won't work.

Paul 03-02-2019 01:06

Those all sound like no reason at all.

Why would anyone making such dodgy calls care how "secure" they are ?

Why would the [rare] chance of an outage stop anyone - phone systems can have outages anyway.

Hugh 03-02-2019 09:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35981807)
IIRC he said that he thinks it's due to VOIP not being as secure as a normal landline (for confidentiality reasons) or because if there's a power or broadband outage, the phone won't work.

I believe he is bolking tallocks.

Mr K 03-02-2019 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35981824)
Those all sound like no reason at all.

Why would anyone making such dodgy calls care how "secure" they are ?

Why would the [rare] chance of an outage stop anyone - phone systems can have outages anyway.

Certainly better to have the phone line separate from broadband. It could be life critical. On the occasions where I've had TV/broadband outages the phone has always worked. Better to have 2 separate lines of communication. (and I wouldn't rely on mobiles either).

RichardCoulter 03-02-2019 20:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35981838)
Certainly better to have the phone line separate from broadband. It could be life critical. On the occasions where I've had TV/broadband outages the phone has always worked. Better to have 2 separate lines of communication. (and I wouldn't rely on mobiles either).

This is my worry. I've created another thread so as not to take this one any more off topic:

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...8#post35981918

Carth 23-10-2019 15:13

Just had an (automated .. false american accent) land line call telling me my Amazon Prime account would be extended at a cost of £39 taken direct from my bank account. . press 1 if . . *click*

Where I can be, I'm particular about what I buy, and where from. Amazon is well down the bottom of my list of preferences, goes without saying I don't have any type of account with them :dozey:

Hugh 23-10-2019 17:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36014842)
Just had an (automated .. false american accent) land line call telling me my Amazon Prime account would be extended at a cost of £39 taken direct from my bank account. . press 1 if . . *click*

Where I can be, I'm particular about what I buy, and where from. Amazon is well down the bottom of my list of preferences, goes without saying I don't have any type of account with them :dozey:

Yes, I’ve had that one - any robo-call recorded message doesn’t get the time of day in our house...

joglynne 23-10-2019 19:53

I have already binned the email that I received about this from Amazon this morning warning about this scam and warning me not to "press 1" or enter into any dialogue.

They also warned about a scam where phone calls were being made claiming that "my" Amazon account had been hacked and I had been signed me up to Amazon Prime and that if "pressed 1" and I supplied my bank account details Amazon would arrange a refund.

I guess the scam artists are putting in an extra effort to pull the money in before Christmas. :(

Maggy 23-01-2020 15:46

Now it's HMRC informing me I'm in breach of something or other with a phone number to ring. I maybe old but I'm not yet gaga.

jobbie8 23-01-2020 18:33

I got one today too