Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   BT scam call (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707193)

Maggy 21-12-2018 09:19

BT scam call

It sounds like a recorded message saying that my BT connection is about to be cut off. At that point I replaced the receiver because I'm not with BT. However anyone with BT might be fooled.:rolleyes:

Ken W 21-12-2018 10:08

Re: BT scam call

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35976347)
It sounds like a recorded message saying that my BT connection is about to be cut off. At that point I replaced the receiver because I'm not with BT. However anyone with BT might be fooled.:rolleyes:

That is the same recorded message I get and like you am not with BT

arcimedes 21-12-2018 10:15

Look on the BT web site and you will find lots of comments about it. I do like winding them up when I have some spare time.

joglynne 21-12-2018 12:30

My elderly friend is currently being plagued by this scam call and has been receiving 3 and sometimes 4 calls a day. Thankfully she is quite savvy but the annoyance of getting the calls is getting to her even though she now recognises the voice and ends the call immediately.

I was there this morning and during my hour long visit she got 3 calls!!!!!

SnoopZ 21-12-2018 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by joglynne (Post 35976373)
My elderly friend is currently being plagued by this scam call and has been receiving 3 and sometimes 4 calls a day. Thankfully she is quite savvy but the annoyance of getting the calls is getting to her even though she now recognises the voice and ends the call immediately.

I was there this morning and during my hour long visit she got 3 calls!!!!!

Has she not got caller display Id now that it's free?

Carth 21-12-2018 13:07

I think when I got one, the caller display said 'withheld'

I don't normally answer those, but was expecting a call from hospital . . that also comes up as withheld :rolleyes:

007stuart 21-12-2018 15:47

Get Truecall enabled phones and voila no more spam calls

joglynne 21-12-2018 16:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35976379)
Has she not got caller display Id now that it's free?

Unfortunately getting her to do anything other than use the phone at a most basic level, eg. she doesn't use a contact, phone numbers list. Insists on using her trusty Address (paper) Book and has stubbornly resisted all my efforts, and those of her family, to do anything other than humour us by letting me set up 1-5 quick dial numbers "just for emergencies only ..." She is convinced that allowing the phone to remember her contacts list is a Government ploy to keep an eye on her. I haven't broached the idea that the world is a sphere as I honestly don't want to open that can of worms. :D :D :D

Maggy 15-01-2019 11:18

So the BT scam didn't work this am so now it's OFCOM calling me on a recorded message to try and con me again..

SnoopZ 15-01-2019 11:28

Do you not have caller ID set up(no its free) so you can avoid picking up the phone if you don't recognise the number?

arcimedes 15-01-2019 11:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy J (Post 35979329)
So the BT scam didn't work this am so now it's OFCOM calling me on a recorded message to try and con me again..

I look forward to Ofcom calling. Do they also try to talk to you?

Maggy 15-01-2019 11:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by arcimedes (Post 35979331)
I look forward to Ofcom calling. Do they also try to talk to you?

I disconnected.;)

Chris 15-01-2019 12:21

I had a robot call the other day that sounded like one half of a conversation, with pauses for me to talk back to it. I’m not certain whether it was using AI to select its next response to me. I hung up after a few seconds anyway.

Then I got one from an energy company tout and managed to waste his time for around 7 and a half minutes. I was quite proud of myself :D

Carth 15-01-2019 13:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35979345)

Then I got one from an energy company tout and managed to waste his time for around 7 and a half minutes. I was quite proud of myself :D

That's a great game to play, sometimes I feel a little sorry for the poor bod on the other end . . but he rang me, so . . .:D

Hugh 15-01-2019 16:05

I like getting them from the "I hear you've been in an accident" companies...

Them "I hear you've been in an accident"

Me " which one?"

Them "how many have you been in?"

Me "Two - one where I lost my legs, and then there was the serious one"

Them (usually) "the serious one? what happened?"

Me "tells them long and tortuous tale, about driving in the dark and snow, spinning off the road, crashing through trees, and then" I say " a fence post came through the front window and decapitated me - killed me stone dead".

Them - silence, usually followed by them putting the phone down...

heero_yuy 15-01-2019 17:24

Excellent. Reminds me of the time when I moved into my house. The previous occupant had unfortunately died in hospital so the call went:

"Can I speak to Mrs XYZ?"

"No, I'm terribly sorry she's dead"

Long silence. :D

Maggy 15-01-2019 19:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 35979330)
Do you not have caller ID set up(no its free) so you can avoid picking up the phone if you don't recognise the number?

Wrong sort of phone.

spiderplant 18-01-2019 15:51

I used to get calls from someone trying to get me to switch phone provider. Eventually I told them I didn't have a phone. He sounded very confused, but they never called again

RichardCoulter 02-02-2019 17:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35979345)
I had a robot call the other day that sounded like one half of a conversation, with pauses for me to talk back to it. I’m not certain whether it was using AI to select its next response to me. I hung up after a few seconds anyway.

According to the former CF member Carl Waring, they make these calls from home (I presume they get paid on commission). For some reason they aren't allowed to use VOIP, so he'll have a problem when VM eventually convert all their phone lines over to this.

It would be interesting to hear him try to sell utility supplies with his pedantic and rude interpersonal demeanour.

Perhaps you were talking to him in person :D

Chris 02-02-2019 20:12

I’ve seen Carl posting on various Facebook pages... if I come across him again I might ask :D

RichardCoulter 02-02-2019 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35981801)
I’ve seen Carl posting on various Facebook pages... if I come across him again I might ask :D

IIRC he said that he thinks it's due to VOIP not being as secure as a normal landline (for confidentiality reasons) or because if there's a power or broadband outage, the phone won't work.

Paul 03-02-2019 01:06

Those all sound like no reason at all.

Why would anyone making such dodgy calls care how "secure" they are ?

Why would the [rare] chance of an outage stop anyone - phone systems can have outages anyway.

Hugh 03-02-2019 09:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCoulter (Post 35981807)
IIRC he said that he thinks it's due to VOIP not being as secure as a normal landline (for confidentiality reasons) or because if there's a power or broadband outage, the phone won't work.

I believe he is bolking tallocks.

Mr K 03-02-2019 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul M (Post 35981824)
Those all sound like no reason at all.

Why would anyone making such dodgy calls care how "secure" they are ?

Why would the [rare] chance of an outage stop anyone - phone systems can have outages anyway.

Certainly better to have the phone line separate from broadband. It could be life critical. On the occasions where I've had TV/broadband outages the phone has always worked. Better to have 2 separate lines of communication. (and I wouldn't rely on mobiles either).

RichardCoulter 03-02-2019 20:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35981838)
Certainly better to have the phone line separate from broadband. It could be life critical. On the occasions where I've had TV/broadband outages the phone has always worked. Better to have 2 separate lines of communication. (and I wouldn't rely on mobiles either).

This is my worry. I've created another thread so as not to take this one any more off topic:

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...8#post35981918

Carth 23-10-2019 15:13

Just had an (automated .. false american accent) land line call telling me my Amazon Prime account would be extended at a cost of £39 taken direct from my bank account. . press 1 if . . *click*

Where I can be, I'm particular about what I buy, and where from. Amazon is well down the bottom of my list of preferences, goes without saying I don't have any type of account with them :dozey:

Hugh 23-10-2019 17:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carth (Post 36014842)
Just had an (automated .. false american accent) land line call telling me my Amazon Prime account would be extended at a cost of £39 taken direct from my bank account. . press 1 if . . *click*

Where I can be, I'm particular about what I buy, and where from. Amazon is well down the bottom of my list of preferences, goes without saying I don't have any type of account with them :dozey:

Yes, I’ve had that one - any robo-call recorded message doesn’t get the time of day in our house...

joglynne 23-10-2019 19:53

I have already binned the email that I received about this from Amazon this morning warning about this scam and warning me not to "press 1" or enter into any dialogue.

They also warned about a scam where phone calls were being made claiming that "my" Amazon account had been hacked and I had been signed me up to Amazon Prime and that if "pressed 1" and I supplied my bank account details Amazon would arrange a refund.

I guess the scam artists are putting in an extra effort to pull the money in before Christmas. :(

Maggy 23-01-2020 15:46

Now it's HMRC informing me I'm in breach of something or other with a phone number to ring. I maybe old but I'm not yet gaga.

jobbie8 23-01-2020 18:33

I got one today too

Tricky Trevor 02-02-2020 11:50

I think I got a scam call last night. An automated voice said that I have won a choice of £300 in cash or tickets for 2 at an Elvis Presley tribute night.

It said press One for the money, Two for the show :-)

Paul 03-02-2020 02:10

I havent had any scam calls, but I did get a scam text from someone pretending to be HSBC, telling me my account had been "locked" and I needed to click a link to get it enabled again. Total failure : l dont have a smart phone so the link was useless, nor do I have an HSBC account.

Maggy 03-02-2020 08:40

The best defence is an answer phone. I get lots of messages or cut offs which I can ignore.

tweetiepooh 03-02-2020 09:56

Still lots of Amazon calls, all from different numbers, non accurate - our Amazon costs more than their call suggests.

Paul 03-02-2020 14:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy (Post 36024149)
The best defence is an answer phone. I get lots of messages or cut offs which I can ignore.

Ditto, mine directs "international" calls direct to the answerphone, and the rest after 4 rings.
If we dont recognise the number we leave it to the answer phone, they never leave messages !

(I have 18 new calls since I last cleared it, a few days ago)

livelysprite 30-07-2020 13:26

We have been targeted recently with the "this is your internet provider, we have been trying to contact you, you are going to be cut off.... press 1 for assistance ... " I report each number to ICO but I think they are spoofed numbers. I once pressed 1 by mistake and spoke to someone with an indian accent and said "I know you are a scammer, don't call back" and the reply was "go to hell", charming.