Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Television (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   Netflix : The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33707732)

pip08456 31-05-2019 05:55

The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance

Official trailer.

Chris 31-05-2019 10:37

Re: The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance

Looks good ... might be a series our whole family can watch together. That’s something I think Netflix is still quite weak on.

BenMcr 31-05-2019 11:07

Have they all seen the original? It's quite dark for a children's film!

Hugh 31-05-2019 13:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35997300)
Official trailer.

Sounded like Yoda at the end of the trailer...:)

Chris 31-05-2019 14:40

Well Frank Oz provided voices for the original, if the series has some of the same characters then someone’s going to have to emulate whatever he did first time round ...

Gavin78 01-06-2019 02:30

I need to see the original now before this one just to jog my memory

General Maximus 01-06-2019 07:33

yeah I haven't seen it in over 25 years. I can remember loving it a child.

Chris 01-06-2019 09:13

It shows up on broadcast tv on Sunday afternoon sometimes. I think my kids saw it on Channel 5. It isn’t available on Netflix, strangely enough, although maybe they’ll put it up nearer to the release date of their new series.

Amazon has it, but not Prime inclusive so you would have to rent it (currently £2.50).

General Maximus 09-08-2019 19:15

My new copy of SFX came through the door today and Dark Crystal is on the front cover. As a lovely surprise there are also plenty of freebies and collectibles including postcards, stickers and posters. I think it is great and I wish they would do stuff like this every month with the most prominent release, tv series or movie, like Star Wars and the MCU. I would love to build a collection of posters up with the genuine licensed art.

General Maximus 14-08-2019 11:05

BenMcr 23-08-2019 11:06

Reviews are out - this one is Spoiler Free:
https://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/the-...erfect-fantasy

Quote:

Netflix's 10-part prequel to The Dark Crystal, The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance, is terrific. Here's our spoiler-free review...

General Maximus 23-08-2019 19:57

great, can't wait. I need to make sure I watch the film this week.

General Maximus 05-09-2019 22:53

Wow, well all I can say is what a surprise. It has literally been 30 years since I watched the film and other than remembering I loved it as a child I couldn't remember a single thing about it. I watched the film first and still couldn't remember anything of the story however all the characters came back to me as they started appearing on screen.
When I started the series I saw they were full length episodes and the first thing I thought was "what on earth are they going to do in ten 50 minute episodes?". It might have been my naivety because the only puppet stuff I have ever seen has been The Dark Crystal and The Muppets and I think I associate them as children's tv because I have only seen things like that in my childhood. I was blown away right from the start. Considering we are now 35 years on from the film they have done a miraculous job of recreating the sets, the puppets and replicating the exact same tone and style from the film to the extent that you would think they were all filmed in the same time period. What is magical about the series though is how they have blended their classic style of filming with cgi and it is seemless.
I have always been more of a scifi fan than fantasy but I really enjoyed this. The best way I can describe it is half Avatar and half Lord of the Rings. Both of those film series are rich in culture and lore and The Dark Crystal is the same. The beautiful thing is that they have been able to use modern day technology to bring the world and characters to life in a way you would not think is possible. It can be little things like seeing an individual go about their daily life or a massive cgi shot showing off a particular area or land. No expense has been spared on this series and it is very moving to see and know that everything the writers and creators have envisioned has been brought to fruition. Even though we know where the story is going it is a testament to the quality of the series that you still don't want it to end and you just want it to keep going so you can see more. I hope they win a tonne of awards for it.

I can't recommend this series enough, it is mind blowing. If you liked the movie or enjoy fantasy generally then this is definitely for you.

If anyone is interested, my favourite character is Hup :)

Chris 05-09-2019 23:09

+1 for Hup :D

pip08456 25-09-2019 21:13

The General will like this.

The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance Blooper Reel Is the Best Thing You'll See This Week